Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:31:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Mining  (Read 2540 times)
sipredrica (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 05:47:52 AM

Have any one tried Banana pi for Bitcoin Mining, Banana Pie is a Single Board Computer. Banana Pi targets to be a cheap, small and flexible enough computer for daily life.  Built with ARM Cortex-A7 Dual-core CPU and Mali400MP2 GPU, and open source software, Banana Pi can serve as a platform to make lots of applications for different purposes.

ARM Cortex-A7 dual-core, 1GHz, Mali400MP2 GPU

Lost Reputation upto 0.25 Btc from tomatocage .  .

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 07:42:40 AM

dude you don't mine bitcoin with a dual core, that is...i don't even have a word to describe how wasteful this is

bitcoin mining is done since months already, check the bitcoin price, because it is very good and stable, buy directly don't waste time
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 10:09:33 AM

dude you don't mine bitcoin with a dual core, that is...i don't even have a word to describe how wasteful this is

bitcoin mining is done since months already, check the bitcoin price, because it is very good and stable, buy directly don't waste time
He must mean to connect to his ASIC miners, not for mining himself...

I hope so, otherwise they might be waiting a while before getting and rewards!  If that is what the OP means, don't do it, you will never mine anything with a GPU, let alone a CPU!
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 02:33:16 PM

Have any one tried Banana pi for Bitcoin Mining, Banana Pie is a Single Board Computer. Banana Pi targets to be a cheap, small and flexible enough computer for daily life.  Built with ARM Cortex-A7 Dual-core CPU and Mali400MP2 GPU, and open source software, Banana Pi can serve as a platform to make lots of applications for different purposes.

I'm pretty sure my smartphone has a more powerful CPU/GPU than this.... yes, it does.  Why would you even consider using a tool like this to mine BTC?

The short answer is you shouldn't.  You can get an Antminer U2 USB stick for around $5 to $10 and it will give you about 2GH/s.  That's going to be well over 1000x faster than your pi could ever hope to be.

As a controller (like running cgminer for example), the pi works great.  I have a Raspberry Pi which performs that very job.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 06:24:47 PM

Have any one tried Banana pi for Bitcoin Mining, Banana Pie is a Single Board Computer. Banana Pi targets to be a cheap, small and flexible enough computer for daily life.  Built with ARM Cortex-A7 Dual-core CPU and Mali400MP2 GPU, and open source software, Banana Pi can serve as a platform to make lots of applications for different purposes.

I'm pretty sure my smartphone has a more powerful CPU/GPU than this.... yes, it does.  Why would you even consider using a tool like this to mine BTC?

The short answer is you shouldn't.  You can get an Antminer U2 USB stick for around $5 to $10 and it will give you about 2GH/s.  That's going to be well over 1000x faster than your pi could ever hope to be.

As a controller (like running cgminer for example), the pi works great.  I have a Raspberry Pi which performs that very job.
Yeah but the Banana pi is outdated it's like 35$ compared to 8$ more you get the pi 2 with way more software compatibility and 2 more cpu cores.
I agree that the Pi2 is a nice little bit of kit for the price; however, none of these is going to be worth anything if you're planning to use their meager CPU/GPU as your mining hardware.  As a media server, a VPN server, a mining controller... for these types of tasks they work very well.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
ThEmporium

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 08:21:12 PM

As for as my knowledge they are using GNU Linux operating system with TOR Anonymity. If you want to use mining software and looking for a stable operating system you can go for GNU Linux which is open source software and free exclusively, if you are good at compiling, you can compile those kernels according to your needs and specifications.
noel57

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 06:04:15 AM

It is a known factor that people will continue to research a better ways of doing thing even cheaper, please let us know the hash speed, power consumptions and other important parameter of ARM Cortex-A7 dual-core, 1GHz, Mali400MP2 GPU when you finally give it a try.

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 01:33:35 PM

It is a known factor that people will continue to research a better ways of doing thing even cheaper, please let us know the hash speed, power consumptions and other important parameter of ARM Cortex-A7 dual-core, 1GHz, Mali400MP2 GPU when you finally give it a try.
One would think that given the information OP has already been provided he would abandon the idea, rather than try it out on his own.  Assume for a moment that we know the power draw of the Pi at load is about 2W.  Unless it's able to hash at 3GH/s or higher, it's not even worth considering plugging in to be a miner.  Here's a hint: it's not going to hash anywhere near that speed.  Your average core i7 is going to be measured only in MH/s.  The pathetic little processors on these units aren't even close to as powerful as that.  For example, looking at the rPi model B, that CPU gets about 0.2MH/s.

Mining Bitcoin with any CPU/GPU is pointless, no matter how you slice it.

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 04:42:40 PM

One would think that given the information OP has already been provided he would abandon the idea, rather than try it out on his own.  Assume for a moment that we know the power draw of the Pi at load is about 2W.  Unless it's able to hash at 3GH/s or higher, it's not even worth considering plugging in to be a miner.  Here's a hint: it's not going to hash anywhere near that speed.  Your average core i7 is going to be measured only in MH/s.  The pathetic little processors on these units aren't even close to as powerful as that.  For example, looking at the rPi model B, that CPU gets about 0.2MH/s.

Mining Bitcoin with any CPU/GPU is pointless, no matter how you slice it.
That is a pretty bold statement, one could easily point their gpu's at a multipool that pays out Bitcoin while mining x11 or some other algorithm and really not see a big change and make a little profit on it.
Then you're not mining BTC, you're mining X11/scrypt/whatever coin.

alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 04:44:48 PM

Sure, maybe you can find a way to get Bitcoin in exchange for mining some other type of coin. However, his original statement , which you then "bolded" is completely correct.

It's impractical to try and mine Bitcoins directly using a CPU (of any caliber) due to the existence of ASIC's.

This really shouldn't be in doubt or dispute any more.

Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 02:05:46 PM

That equipment would be great if you wanted to use it for stacking coins. For direct mining, you would simply be wasting time and energy, and it wouldn't be profitable not even if you were mining alternative coins.
So, if you are thinking of using ARM Cortex-A7 dual-core, 1GHz, Mali400MP2 GPU for mining just forget it.

Don't waste time and buy some stacking coins such as Hyperstake, Hyper, VRC, etc... and then you can use your device to stake them. I'm sure that would be more profitable!
goodway

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 07:08:07 AM

bitcoin mining is profitable?
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 09:15:12 AM

bitcoin mining is profitable?

With right circumstances yes it is.  Look at this summer the difficulty is rising slow not fast.  And price has went up a good amount.

Is it for everyone?  No it is not.  But a lot still?  Yes it is.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: