Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:43:20 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind version 0.7.0 released  (Read 25329 times)
kuzetsa

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 02:28:03 PM

Bitcoin transactions do not have a sender address. They have one or more input txouts, each of which may or may not have an identifiable address it was previously sent to. Relying on this information is not portable, as it is client-dependent. If you need a refund address or some payout address, ask for it. This also prevents reuse of addresses, which is bad for Bitcoin's privacy model (not just of those whose addresses are involved).
PS: since 0.7, you can find this information using the raw transaction API.

really?

1) Are you sure that there are transactions without an identifiable sender addresses? I've never seen a single transaction like that in the blockchain.

2) "coin taint" all the way back to the original generated coin(s) in question  has always been fully traceable whenever I've attempted.

3) Coin control is a desired / requested / needed feature. The ability to control which source coins are spent in transactions and whatnot.

4) there is no four. except maybe "please qualify your assertion as I've addressed in #1"
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 02:48:46 PM

Bitcoin transactions do not have a sender address. They have one or more input txouts, each of which may or may not have an identifiable address it was previously sent to. Relying on this information is not portable, as it is client-dependent. If you need a refund address or some payout address, ask for it. This also prevents reuse of addresses, which is bad for Bitcoin's privacy model (not just of those whose addresses are involved).
PS: since 0.7, you can find this information using the raw transaction API.

really?

1) Are you sure that there are transactions without an identifiable sender addresses? I've never seen a single transaction like that in the blockchain.

2) "coin taint" all the way back to the original generated coin(s) in question  has always been fully traceable whenever I've attempted.

3) Coin control is a desired / requested / needed feature. The ability to control which source coins are spent in transactions and whatnot.

4) there is no four. except maybe "please qualify your assertion as I've addressed in #1"

What you have is the last address that received those coins.  This is not the same thing as a sender address.

Things get even more silly if you think about transactions with multiple inputs and/or outputs.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
kuzetsa

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 03:57:34 PM

@kjj

huh? why not?

Are you saying you can spend someone else's coins despite not having access to the private key for their address(es)?

Edited to add:

multi-input transactions require private keys just the same as single-input. I'm not sure what you're referring to.

A rather direct, simlpified implication is that if coins are sent, the private key(s) used to generate the transaction script(s) is controlled by the sender.
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 04:49:19 PM

@kjj

huh? why not?

Are you saying you can spend someone else's coins despite not having access to the private key for their address(es)?

Edited to add:

multi-input transactions require private keys just the same as single-input. I'm not sure what you're referring to.

A rather direct, simlpified implication is that if coins are sent, the private key(s) used to generate the transaction script(s) is controlled by the sender.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.  Post an address, and I will cause a 3rd party to send a transaction to it in such a way that it can not be returned to me.

I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
szuetam

Activity: 377
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 09:09:10 PM

Thanks for new version.
Smiley
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 11:15:02 PM

Is there really STILL no coin control options in this release? This is the major feature I have been waiting for for many many months and I am so disappointed that it seems to be not here ?
Please find or hire someone to update and fix the problems in it, so that it might be merged in the future. Maybe start a bounty?
Today's next-test still has Coin Control barely merged in, but this will probably be the last time due to rapid bitrot.

kuzetsa

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 02:05:11 AM

Please find or hire someone to update and fix the problems in it, so that it might be merged in the future. Maybe start a bounty?

+1

I would love to see this feature working.

I might start the bounty myself in the morning (or some other time) if it hasn't been started yet... After when I've slept and/or look back in this direction (bitcointalk forums) again.

Thanks for the official-like status update on the future of this feature, luke.
kuzetsa

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 02:12:17 AM

((...snip...))
Post an address, and I will cause a 3rd party to send a transaction to it in such a way that it can not be returned to me.

Are you describing a scenario where your bitcoin wallet (private keys) is controlled by a third party?

Or perhaps (for example)

One could "withdraw" from their GLBSE balance to someone else's bitcoin address (to make a patment from them)

perhaps mtgox and/or other "in the cloud" wallet providers... I can only speculate. Only ever used official satoshi (bitcoinqt / bitcoind) wallet.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 11:59:30 AM

<PissAntComplaint>
As a colour blind DBA (i.e UI retarded), I dislike the startup logo.
I'd rather see the "traditional" Bitcoin icon on a light coloured (perhaps a gradient) background.
</PissAntComplaint>
I'm aiming to completely get rid of the splash screen by 0.8. No promises though.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 01:21:10 PM

((...snip...))
Post an address, and I will cause a 3rd party to send a transaction to it in such a way that it can not be returned to me.

Are you describing a scenario where your bitcoin wallet (private keys) is controlled by a third party?

Or perhaps (for example)

One could "withdraw" from their GLBSE balance to someone else's bitcoin address (to make a patment from them)

perhaps mtgox and/or other "in the cloud" wallet providers... I can only speculate. Only ever used official satoshi (bitcoinqt / bitcoind) wallet.

Yes.  I have at least three accounts with services that will send coins at my command, but will not come from a key that I control, or is otherwise associated with me in any way.  A return to sender on those payments will go either to the service provider, or to a random user of that service.

And that's just off the top of my head.  I bet that if I looked through my password safe, I'd see plenty more accounts that I've totally forgotten.

And that's not all.  Say you are making a major sale, and you want the proceeds to go into a P2SH multisig account where most of the keys are offline, or under the control of an authentication service.  You get the payment and check the list, see that the coins are "tainted".  Now what?  You don't have the keys available to return them immediately.  Oops.

dlb76

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 01:44:47 PM

updated to 0.7.0-beta
Thanks!
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2222

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 01:51:02 PM
Last edit: September 22, 2012, 06:27:17 PM by Gavin Andresen

Update, 22 Sept:  Still looking for a fix for OSX 10.5 users. If you are running 10.5, you should not upgrade yet.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
ydenys

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 10:05:48 PM

A minor issue, not sure if yet reported. 0.7.0 client does not allow to transfer the whole balance, stating an incorrect initial fee (prior to ‘send’ confirmation). My example: balance 0.1739839, client does not allow to spend more then 0.1719839 (initially assumes 0.002 minimum fee), the minimum fee is in fact 0.0015 (correctly calculated after 'send' data check on 0.1719839 and overrides an earlier 'assumed' 0.002), so 0.0005 remains unspent even if you force it as a nominal fee in the settings. Initial fee miscalculation? 6.3 does not have such problem. Please check. TIA.

pm me for details if needed.
rate5

Activity: 104
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 06:51:08 PM

I am having a issue deleting old addresses from the address book using version 0.7.0 on Ubuntu 12.04.  Does anyone else have this issue?
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 07:11:02 PM

Update, 22 Sept:  Still looking for a fix for OSX 10.5 users. If you are running 10.5, you should not upgrade yet.

If so, this warning should be included in the top post. (Not everyone will read page five before upgrading.)
regular

Activity: 297

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 05:26:38 PM

I am having trouble copy and pasting addresses into Pay to box when trying to send BTC in that it won't even give me the option to paste despite it being in the clipboard and working for all other applications.  .  Reverting to 0.63 works again for me.

I'm on windows 7 x64.
kuzetsa

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 11:36:06 PM

A minor issue, not sure if yet reported. 0.7.0 client does not allow to transfer the whole balance, stating an incorrect initial fee (prior to ‘send’ confirmation). My example: balance 0.1739839, client does not allow to spend more then 0.1719839 (initially assumes 0.002 minimum fee), the minimum fee is in fact 0.0015 (correctly calculated after 'send' data check on 0.1719839 and overrides an earlier 'assumed' 0.002), so 0.0005 remains unspent even if you force it as a nominal fee in the settings. Initial fee miscalculation? 6.3 does not have such problem. Please check. TIA.

pm me for details if needed.

I've experienced that exact issue before in 0.6.3 but just never thought to report it.

1) Often would get a message "insufficient... something something something ...after fee included" (can't remember exact wording)

2) So then  after I subtract the fee manually, it takes out a different fee amount or sometimes reports a different fee is required.

-- I haven't sent coins since upgrading to 0.7.0 but if I am able to reproduce this behavior at a later date I will fully document the messages
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2012, 07:28:30 AM

Thanks to everybody who contributed to this release:

Chris Moore
Christian von Roques
David Joel Schwartz
Douglas Huff
Fordy
Gavin Andresen
Giel van Schijndel
Gregory Maxwell
Jeff Garzik
Luke Dashjr
Matt Corallo
Michael Ford
Michael Hendricks
Peter Todd
Philip Kaufmann
Pieter Wuille
R E Broadley
Ricardo M. Correia
Rune K. Svendsen
Scott Ellis
Stephane Glondu
Wladimir J. van der Laan
cardpuncher
coderrr
fanquake
grimd34th
sje397
xanatos

Thanks to Sergio Lerner for reporting denial-of-service vulnerabilities fixed in this release.

Thanks to you Gavin and to the whole team.

BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 01:31:41 PM
Last edit: September 25, 2012, 03:40:55 PM by BitPay Business Solutions

it looks like 0.70 is registering the bitcoin: URI protocol (at least in Windows) but if I already have the bitcoin client running, I get an error.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 03:09:27 PM

Downloading the blockchain in 0.7, seems a lot faster Smiley

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco