Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:01:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Paranoid about security  (Read 808 times)
RappelzReborn (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 10:34:08 AM

Lately shit started happening to me , Facbeook account got closed and they ask me for ID now to open it again , Paypal got limited (I use on both fake names so won't be able to get them working once again)
anyway ... I got paranoid and I think I got banned so is there is any advices or suggestions you want to tell me because I'd like to get some help and I don't wanna to wake up one morning and find my Bitcoin Core totally empty . I made electrum wallet took the seed wrote it on paper but im planning to send them there (my btc) but not sure .. if im really hacked it would be simplier for the hacker to get my coins since he got the seed :/
really have no idea what to do now

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 10:39:19 AM

Then, use multisig wallet. You can use Electrum and use multisig option when creating wallet. See https://electrum.orain.org/wiki/Multisig_Wallets.

RappelzReborn (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 10:44:50 AM

Then, use multisig wallet. You can use Electrum and use multisig option when creating wallet. See https://electrum.orain.org/wiki/Multisig_Wallets.

I tried once to do that but I failed hard , can't seem to understand how it works . Also who is the second party that will Verify and agree for the transaction (what im sending)

for what comes to Paper wallet , any idea how secure they are ??

favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 10:49:38 AM

You should go with a multisig wallet. I use ninki as hot wallet, which is in my opinion the easiest way to setup a secure, multi sig wallet. check their website https://ninkip2p.com/

Cearea11

Activity: 70
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 10:52:52 AM

Follow some steps:

1) Change password every week
2) Divide the sum of BTC on different wallets
3) Try a 2FA wallet like greenadress or cex.io (2FA is a system where you need two devices as smartphone and pc, smartphone and email etc. to log in)
4) When you insert password, use on screen keyboard
5) Open your wallet always from a clean Computer and not under public WiFi areas

They should improve your security level
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 10:58:09 AM

I tried once to do that but I failed hard , can't seem to understand how it works . Also who is the second party that will Verify and agree for the transaction (what im sending)

You itself. That is, you create a 2-of-2 multisig wallet and when you send Bitcoin from that wallet, you need to sign with two keys. This will help you to secure your Bitcoins even if hacker got one key because to spend Bitcoins, you need two keys.

You can also share one of the two keys with your friend or family. If you do so, the person who you entrusted one key with will have to sign the transactions you create.

Edit:

-snip-
3) Try a 2FA wallet like greenadress or cex.io (2FA is a system where you need two devices as smartphone and pc, smartphone and email etc. to log in)

Cex.io is an exchange and exchanges and online wallets like that are absolutely not secure. GreenAddress does not allow you to access private key but they solve this problem with nLockTime.

-snip-

You can also log mouse activity and if your computer is infected with a logger which records mouse activity, this method won' improve security.

RappelzReborn (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 11:53:26 AM

You itself. That is, you create a 2-of-2 multisig wallet and when you send Bitcoin from that wallet, you need to sign with two keys. This will help you to secure your Bitcoins even if hacker got one key because to spend Bitcoins, you need two keys.

You can also share one of the two keys with your friend or family. If you do so, the person who you entrusted one key with will have to sign the transactions you create.

Edit:

-snip-

Cex.io is an exchange and exchanges and online wallets like that are absolutely not secure. GreenAddress does not allow you to access private key but they solve this problem with nLockTime.

-snip-

You can also log mouse activity and if your computer is infected with a logger which records mouse activity, this method won' improve security.

It's seems really too complicated for me for the Multi signature part ? Not sure if you saw my answer above but what do you think about Paper wallet ? how secure they are and are they functional 100%

Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 12:19:26 PM

It's seems really too complicated for me for the Multi signature part ?

I am sorry. I don't know how to simplify it. Maybe you should read more about multisig and especially, the link I gave you.

Not sure if you saw my answer above but what do you think about Paper wallet ? how secure they are and are they functional 100%

It is secure but you will need to import private key to a wallet when sending Bitcoins and as that private key is exposed to internet, you need to send it to new private key. If you can do this, then paper wallet is safer.

Another way would be to create a cold wallet and a watch-only copy. This will help you secure your keys. You can use Armory or Bither or Electrum for doing this.

RappelzReborn (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 12:49:55 PM

I am sorry. I don't know how to simplify it. Maybe you should read more about multisig and especially, the link I gave you.

Not sure if you saw my answer above but what do you think about Paper wallet ? how secure they are and are they functional 100%

It is secure but you will need to import private key to a wallet when sending Bitcoins and as that private key is exposed to internet, you need to send it to new private key. If you can do this, then paper wallet is safer.

Another way would be to create a cold wallet and a watch-only copy. This will help you secure your keys. You can use Armory or Bither or Electrum for doing this.

Let's speak about the paper wallet part , what you need I need to import it ? I guess it's logic since a paper don't have buttons and stuff but are the private keys will be written on the paper + the adress ?
Planning just to hold and never use my Bitcoin , but when you said I need to import , you mean I create the paper wallet andwhen I want to send my BTC , I need to "write" the private key on blockchain.info or something then I can send to adresses , correct me if I'am wrong ?

(sorry if wasting your time or bothering you in anyhow) . any program to make those paper wallets too ? so I use my printer to get it I heard that website can't be trusted for those stuff : Vanitygen & Paper wallets etc ...

Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 12:57:45 PM

Let's speak about the paper wallet part , what you need I need to import it ?

You will need to import private key when you spend Bitcoin.

I guess it's logic since a paper don't have buttons and stuff but are the private keys will be written on the paper + the adress ?

A paper wallet is just an address and corresponding peivate key printed on a paper.

Planning just to hold and never use my Bitcoin , but when you said I need to import , you mean I create the paper wallet andwhen I want to send my BTC , I need to "write" the private key on blockchain.info or something then I can send to adresses , correct me if I'am wrong ?

Don't ever use Blockchain.info to spend from paper wallet if you are reusing it. You can use Mycelium to spend Bitcoin from a paper wallet. Their spend from cold storage function is useful and they wipe data from memory after sending Bitcoin.

(sorry if wasting your time or bothering you in anyhow) . any program to make those paper wallets too ? so I use my printer to get it I heard that website can't be trusted for those stuff : Vanitygen & Paper wallets etc ...

You can generate private key using https://www.bitaddress.org/ (download it) and generate private keys in an offline computer. You can either print it or write it down.

* Corrected a mistake.

RappelzReborn (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 01:01:38 PM

Download what ? (link not working) I keep moving mouse on the website but nothing rly to download  , also what do you mean Offline computer if you mean a PC without internet then how supposed to access the website without computer  Undecided

Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 01:07:51 PM

Download what ? (link not working) I keep moving mouse on the website but nothing rly to download  , also what do you mean Offline computer if you mean a PC without internet then how supposed to access the website without computer  Undecided

Download https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org/archive/v2.9.8.zip. You can use this offline.

You need to move your mouse and if you want you can type letters(which increases randomness) and after sometime, provate key will be shown. It is setup in that way to improve randomness.

RappelzReborn (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 01:19:21 PM

Download https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org/archive/v2.9.8.zip. You can use this offline.

You need to move your mouse and if you want you can type letters(which increases randomness) and after sometime, provate key will be shown. It is setup in that way to improve randomness.

I've done that => file:///C:/Users/Omega/Desktop/bitaddress.org-2.9.8/bitaddress.org.html
now i have a page showing my adress and my private adress , when I switched to the tab "Paper wallet" I get another adress and private key on the images for the paper wallet i should print , is that normal ? or adress & Private keys on "Simple wallet" and "paper wallet" should be e xactly the same ?
When you said offline computer you meant "never used" internet Because not sure where to get that lol , or I can turn the modem off and do that without issues and would be secure ?
Gonna close the thread once you answer me & thank you so much , can't thank you enough .

Finchy

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 02:22:15 PM

Follow some steps:

1) Change password every week

Why? This is overkill and changing it every week doesn't make it any more secure, it probably even makes it more likely you'll get scammed. Just have a very strong password and keep your coins offline and you're good. Have a few back ups just in case as well.
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 02:28:28 PM

Don't be coerced into doing multi-sig if you are not comfortable with it. It can be challenging to work with compared to single keys. Even if you have all the necessary info it's not super simple to spend from a multi-sig address. I created a how to on youtube using bitcoin core.
If you don't want to use multi-sig I'd suggest you go offline and cold. It can be as simple as creating your keys with dice, or use a computer that is not connected to the internet to generate keys.

EDIT:  At first I didn't notice Muhammed Zakir suggested bitaddress. This is a great offline solution for generating cold storage addresses. Go with Muhammed Zakir's advice on this one.

RappelzReborn (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 02:39:11 PM

Don't be coerced into doing multi-sig if you are not comfortable with it. It can be challenging to work with compared to single keys. Even if you have all the necessary info it's not super simple to spend from a multi-sig address. I created a how to on youtube using bitcoin core.
If you don't want to use multi-sig I'd suggest you go offline and cold. It can be as simple as creating your keys with dice, or use a computer that is not connected to the internet to generate keys.

EDIT:  At first I didn't notice Muhammed Zakir suggested bitaddress. This is a great offline solution for generating cold storage addresses. Go with Muhammed Zakir's advice on this one.

I did went with what Muhammed Zakir suggested however he seem offline , maybe you can answer me instead of him . What he meant exactly by "offline computer" ? Does it mean a computer that never used the internet before ? or simply I can turn the modem off ? (Let's take the probability that my PC is hacked)

newflesh

Activity: 630

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 02:42:51 PM

I've done that => file:///C:/Users/Omega/Desktop/bitaddress.org-2.9.8/bitaddress.org.html
now i have a page showing my adress and my private adress , when I switched to the tab "Paper wallet" I get another adress and private key on the images for the paper wallet i should print , is that normal ? or adress & Private keys on "Simple wallet" and "paper wallet" should be e xactly the same ?
When you said offline computer you meant "never used" internet Because not sure where to get that lol , or I can turn the modem off and do that without issues and would be secure ?
Gonna close the thread once you answer me & thank you so much , can't thank you enough .

Easiest way would be to save bitaddress to a USB drive, download a live OS (I recommend Tails: https://tails.boum.org/download/index.en.html) and burn it to DVD.

Run Tails (from the DVD) with all internet, wifi etc turned off and then use bitaddress to generate your wallets. Print the paper wallets out and shutdown your computer. Job done.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: