Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:12:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings and Salutations  (Read 1173 times)
CADOwl (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 12:25:17 PM

Hello Everyone,

As you can tell from my profile I'm brand new to this site, but I figured this is a good a place as any to get started.

So, here's the story;

I have a few coworkers who dabble in bitcoin/altcoin mining, and I'm trying to educate myself and hoping to get a foot in the door.
I've been browsing the internet looking for some useful information, and everything I'm finding is outdated or questionable in origin. That's why I stopped here to make an account and get information from you guys.

You seem to be active, and pretty friendly. Hopefully you'll be kind to newbies!

My interest now is, I'd like to educate myself on Mining, and possibly get started.
I've got a flexible budget and I'm currently paying next to nothing for power (Less than 0.02USD).

Please take care of me, and I look forward to your advice and feedback,

CADOwl
bobc1994

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 04:34:19 PM

Welcome aboard.
This is one of the most frequently asked question
Mining - you have to invest into mining device and the profitability is questionable at the moment. Do some calculate before entering.

this will help you
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=81.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=160.0

hayabusa911

Activity: 369

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 04:43:02 PM

Hello Everyone,

As you can tell from my profile I'm brand new to this site, but I figured this is a good a place as any to get started.

So, here's the story;

I have a few coworkers who dabble in bitcoin/altcoin mining, and I'm trying to educate myself and hoping to get a foot in the door.
I've been browsing the internet looking for some useful information, and everything I'm finding is outdated or questionable in origin. That's why I stopped here to make an account and get information from you guys.

You seem to be active, and pretty friendly. Hopefully you'll be kind to newbies!

My interest now is, I'd like to educate myself on Mining, and possibly get started.
I've got a flexible budget and I'm currently paying next to nothing for power (Less than 0.02USD).

CADOwl

Welcome to the forum! There is a ton of info on this site. Try using the search for specific questions you may have.
jeannemadrigal2

Activity: 322

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 04:47:19 PM

Welcome!  Yes this is a very active place for cryptos.  I suggest that you might want to try some faucets to get started, I like moonbitcoin.  You won't make anything, but it is good to get used to sending transactions.  After you get used to it then stop with the faucets because they are a waste of time if you want money.

If that is your price for electricity, then you can make money for sure.  But you need some serious hardware, because that is what everyone is using today.  You can get a antminer s5 new for about 400$ I think, but you also need something like a raspberry pi to make it run, and maybe a powersupply too.  You might be better off getting s3's, or undervolted s3's and s1's used.  You can get them really cheap used.  Then point them to a mining pool.  You have to do the math to see what is the most efficient use of your money between getting used stuff or new stuff.  Because there is supposed to be a ew generation of hardware coming out soon, you might want to get the used stuf.

Good luck!
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 04:49:32 PM

Mining can be difficult to enter. Unless you are willing to spend $500 on hardware it's difficult to make a profit.
There are very easy and cheaper ways to enter by buying outdated or used hardware but you will not make a profit.

Take a look around at different pieces of hardware, Antminers are pretty popular (https://bitmaintech.com/product.htm).
Also check out some mining calculators to get an idea of how much you will make and how long to break even.

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator
https://alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator
http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/bitcoin-mining-calculator

Personally I'd rather just put $500 into bitcoin instead of miners, but that's up to you.
Good luck!

melody82

Activity: 378
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 04:52:32 PM

Welcome to the forums!  There is a lot of good information here and lots of nice people who will help you with questions.  But stay away from the gambling section, the investor based games section, and even the market place until you are familiar with the shenanigans there.  Also be careful about putting money into cloud mining sites, many of them are ponzi's (but some of them are good). 
anderson00673

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 05:16:58 PM

Welcome to the forums!  Don't forget to use the search function, there are lots of threads, and chances are that your question has already been answered.
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 05:37:30 PM

Hello Everyone,

So, here's the story;

CADOwl

Welcome to this forum.

What your mining equipment spec? Are you use your PC/Laptop? What your coin you mining?
Are you already visit this site? https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison
Check for coin diff currently here: http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency

~iki
scott btc

Activity: 356

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 05:45:25 PM

Welcome to the forum !
If you want to mine anyways, check out http://startbitcoin.com
bitcoin revo
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 07:01:30 PM

There are some mining pools that will automatically switch to whatever altcoin is currently the most profitable, but even the you'll be unlikely to recoup the cost of electricity unless your really spending money on the bleeding edge of miner hardware.
Rmcdermott927
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 08:10:01 PM

As a general rule, if you don't have free or close to free power, you won't profit much mining with current BTC prices.  If the price of BTC goes up a bit, it might be worth it at that point.   Even at your current power rate,  it will be hard to ROI with most miners. 

jason miner

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 08:23:30 PM

Mining is barely profitable, you'll need good hardware and cheap/free power to get any returns on your investment.
Buy some Bitcoins and hold them, that's much better.
SpanishSoldier

Activity: 700
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 08:33:13 PM

Welcome to bitcointalk. Do you have time to monitor your miner 24x7 and are you sure you can find a buyer while its need is over ?
Studio60

Activity: 59

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 09:26:44 PM

Welcome!

As you've probably seen there is a complete Mining section of the forum. If you hang out there you can probably get up to speed fast. I do think electricity plays a big role in whether or not you can profit. Also, note that if you mine coins other than Bitcoin (altcoins) depending on the coin there may be a lot of volatility, meaning your realized profit can differ.
-BTC-

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 11:03:05 PM

I'm also a new guy! Just wanted to say hello and I'm glad I found this place!
Bitdonator
Legendary

Activity: 1223
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 11:15:10 PM

Welcome to forum !  Smiley

Here you can find anything you need about mining:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=14.0
ikydesu

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 09:31:11 AM

I'm also a new guy! Just wanted to say hello and I'm glad I found this place!

Welcome Smiley
Just read a threads in this section carefully, you can understand about bitcoin and how to earn without using a faucet.

~iki
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 01:54:36 PM

with that power you can actually hope to roi with a good investments on bitcoin mining, or altcoin if you prefer, but i would look to mine altcoin directly with soem antimerns s3 or s5

if you have the money you can start big and sell afterward(1-3 months after) while the diff remain the same, so the current miners generation will not be obsolete

alcoin mining is  abit different you need to follow it, if you jump in the gpu mining scene, otherwise you can point your gi to one of the most stable currency like dash/monero or scrypt king like litecoin/doge
MrEggman

Activity: 397
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 05:50:05 PM

Hi! i am new as well. Ready to change the world with decentralized cryptocurrency! I wish i could try mining but it seems that is a money loser right now, so i am looking into proof of stake coins.
ikydesu

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 06:38:48 PM

Hi! i am new as well. Ready to change the world with decentralized cryptocurrency! I wish i could try mining but it seems that is a money loser right now, so i am looking into proof of stake coins.

Welcome Smiley
Good spirits, but it's not as easy as is pronounced.

Choose altcoin which have a good opportunity, but remember they easy to manipulate.

~iki
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: