Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:11:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Maximum Length of Satoshi Client Transactions?  (Read 1046 times)
The-Real-Link (OP)

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 01:18:56 AM

Hey guys,

Just been thinking about this for a bit but couldn't find an answer.

Using the 0.6.2 Beta "Bitcoin-Qt" client (I think it's just the normal Satoshi Client people mention) and had a question.

Under the "Transactions" tab, I of course, can see all the way back to my first bitcents earned.  Is there a limit on how many log entries will show up though to the client?  If I perform 1,000 transactions, will it show them all?  If I do 10,000, would they still all show up?

For recordkeeping and other purposes, I'd like to keep track of things in the future and would rather not suddenly see the client prune my log data.  

I can't imagine even 1,000 transactions (date, from/to addresses, amount, and tx details) taking up that much space.

Thanks for the help.

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 02:33:48 AM

If I do 10,000, would they still all show up?

10K transaction is still a trivially small amount of storage.

They will still show, but don't expect your client to perform very well when you start to have that many.

Ask anyone who has been running a Martingale betting bot.  After a while it just bogs.

The next version of the Bitcoin.org client (next after v0.7) will likely include a combination of changes that will help with this (LevelDB for performance and ultraprune for reducing disk space requirements).

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

The-Real-Link (OP)

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 02:52:46 AM

If I do 10,000, would they still all show up?

10K transaction is still a trivially small amount of storage.

They will still show, but don't expect your client to perform very well when you start to have that many.

Ask anyone who has been running a Martingale betting bot.  After a while it just bogs.

The next version of the Bitcoin.org client (next after v0.7) will likely include a combination of changes that will help with this (LevelDB for performance and ultraprune for reducing disk space requirements).

Ah, interesting.  Thank you. 

Wait wait... people who run Martingale betting bots still have money left?  ;p

Good to know that the feasible size is good for most everyone save "power users" and that even for people who put a lot of bets and so forth out there that the client can be adjusted in time to handle that kind of load / record keeping.  Thanks!

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 11:54:26 PM

Won't this make future transactions very inefficient? Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the whole transaction log for any given address used to sign and broadcast future transactions?

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 12:18:22 AM

Won't this make future transactions very inefficient? Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the whole transaction log for any given address used to sign and broadcast future transactions?

No. 

A tx consists of inputs and outputs.  Unspent outputs becomes the inputs of a new tx. 
The tx is hashed and the hash signed by the private key of the address the unspent outputs were sent to.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: