Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:37:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a larger known networked computing project?  (Read 5702 times)
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 11:29:49 AM

According to [1] we're on top of the world with combined cpu.

Descendant of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON could have more, much more CPU power.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 11:35:41 AM

According to [1] we're on top of the world with combined cpu.

Descendant of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON could have more, much more CPU power.

good luck finding out for sure! Cheesy

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 12:25:03 PM

It would be beneficial for someone to come in behind Bitcoin and offer up a small reward based project that can utilize older mining machines which are of less use because people have moved on to faster machines.

There will likely be a bunch of GPU machines out there that will be outdated when it comes to mining. Just as CPU mining reverted to being people's regular computers.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 02:18:15 PM

Those numbers in the Wikipedia article are from February 2012, computing power has more than doubled since. By any reasonable measure Bitcoin is the largest distributed computing effort by far.

The biggest computing effort in human history: fueled entirely by greed.

Most of the world spends 8-12 hours average a day working to get money so they can eat and have a better life for themselves and their families. Is that greed?

Myself and many others mine bitcoin as supplemental income. I'm making a buck fifty a day mining. Is that greed? Am I greedy for wanting that buck fifty?

If you want to talk about greed, see the banksters and monopoly men. JP Morgan. The Rockefellers. Donald Trump. Warren Buffet. Bill Gates. Those men fit your labeling much more closely. And I am sure they sneer at bitcoin (if they've heard of it).

Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 03:38:24 PM

Then were is our Guinness Book of record submission at ?
mcdett (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 04:02:09 PM

Unless of course the 22 confirmed ASIC minirigs go online and immediately fork the chain.

Current total bitcoin computing speed: ~ 21.000 GHash/s
22 ASIC minirigs: ~ 22.000 GHash/s

Source please.  I haven't been lurking here for a long time.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 05:51:15 PM

Last year I did a rough estimate and came to the conclusion that if you wanted to hire super computers #1 down to whatever it takes, you would end up hiring the top 40 to run a 51% attack for as long as you want to keep the attack up.
I only looked at their GPU's and basically accounted 0 for all that only had CPUs which might be slightly incorrect.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
greyhawk

Activity: 938

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 05:58:13 PM

Unless of course the 22 confirmed ASIC minirigs go online and immediately fork the chain.

Current total bitcoin computing speed: ~ 21.000 GHash/s
22 ASIC minirigs: ~ 22.000 GHash/s

Source please.  I haven't been lurking here for a long time.

Current total hashrate: http://bitcoin.sipa.be/

BFL ASIC minirigs are specced @ 1000 GHash/s (the one to the right, not the middle one): http://www.butterflylabs.com/products/
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 06:01:38 PM

Last year I did a rough estimate and came to the conclusion that if you wanted to hire super computers #1 down to whatever it takes, you would end up hiring the top 40 to run a 51% attack for as long as you want to keep the attack up.
I only looked at their GPU's and basically accounted 0 for all that only had CPUs which might be slightly incorrect.

… of course this does not answer the question
Is there a larger known networked computing project?

Those super computers are programmable to do all kind of shit while in the age of ASICs we will have very dumb nodes that will not be suitable for anything but bitcoin, which is kind of sad.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 07:22:21 PM

here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=29722

Unfortunately stalled.

With more and more fpgas and asics coming we need to formulate the record differently, though.

mcdett (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 08:17:26 PM

BFL ASIC minirigs are specced @ 1000 GHash/s (the one to the right, not the middle one): http://www.butterflylabs.com/products/

Is there 3rd party proof of their existence/performance (in the wild), or is it anther scam (no shortage of those)?
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 08:34:59 PM

Unfortunately stalled.

With more and more fpgas and asics coming we need to formulate the record differently, though.

The net total speed of the bitcoin network in FLOPS is exactly zero.  I'm not sure that anyone has ever bothered to measure or record the fastest integer system.  We kinda suspect that we might be it, but as far as I know, there is no official record.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
greyhawk

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 08:45:52 PM

Is there 3rd party proof of their existence/performance (in the wild), or is it anther scam (no shortage of those)?

That is a very interesting question indeed.

Considering the way this whole thing is structured (full prepayment for preorders, no refunds until start of shipping, no real adress, incorporation and domain setup through proxy agents, telephone # is assigned to a mobile phone) it's perfectly set up for very very interesting results. I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions what kind of results.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 08:49:07 PM

That is a very interesting question indeed.

Considering the way this whole thing is structured (full prepayment for preorders, no refunds until start of shipping, no real adress, incorporation and domain setup through proxy agents, telephone # is assigned to a mobile phone) it's perfectly set up for very very interesting results. I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions what kind of results.

Maybe a credit with 0% interest? We'll just get our coins back and some excuses like "sry, we failed to create the product, here is ur money back".
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 10:07:39 PM

There is a project out there called Internet that uses a lot of CPU.

I'd bet if you took the combined computing power of the entire internet it still wouldn't be anywhere close.... It doesn't take a lot of computing power to serve or view webpages.

I just need to say that you are thinking of the world wide web.  Technically bitcoin is part of the internet so therefore the internet as a whole has to me more powerful.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 09:37:53 PM

Unfortunately stalled.

The net total speed of the bitcoin network in FLOPS is exactly zero.  I'm not sure that anyone has ever bothered to measure or record the fastest integer system.  We kinda suspect that we might be it, but as far as I know, there is no official record.
sure. but if you have a fast car and live in place where you are never allowed to go faster than 70miles/hour you might still want to brag about how fast your car could go.  Grin

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 11:16:56 PM

I kinda feel sorry for all the spent GPU's out there forced to calculate a problem to which the solution is worthless. it would be cool if the network was used to calculate something like the next prime number...

arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 12:30:30 AM

I kinda feel sorry for all the spent GPU's out there forced to calculate a problem to which the solution is worthless. it would be cool if the network was used to calculate something like the next prime number...

well the calculation ITSELF is kinda useless, but then it's purpose is to secure the network and all transactions of a (currently) hundred million dollar and growing economy. that aspect is far from useless. indeed, it's the core of bitcoin in many ways.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 12:40:40 AM

Wow, I can't think of a better thing to devote my computing power to, than open-source, decentralized, power-to-the-people, currency.

Centralized money is the root cause of much misery and suffering in the world.
greyhawk

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 12:49:08 AM

well the calculation ITSELF is kinda useless, but then it's purpose is to secure the network and all transactions of a (currently) hundred million dollar and growing economy. that aspect is far from useless. indeed, it's the core of bitcoin in many ways.

and it could be done with 10 Pentiums if there wasn't an arms-race going on for purposes of "Dude, I need more of dem bitcoins than George next door."
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: