Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:31:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin client display merging income from several addresses  (Read 1248 times)
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2011, 09:16:53 AM

In transaction 3ed4c5ec21f339f577e5ceb5091b0590fe07dbbabe3dd5be94f26bdd29e2c647, I received a payment of 1.71745255 to my address 1GG8tuJqpUwNTf2BHRjY3unFa9R4hnRpMH. In the same transaction I received payments to several others of my addresses. My client doesn't display that I received payment for other addresses (such as 19BMM9q378xM3k8Afpbhpq1nAJJeQrGZvy). However, it does display that 1GG8tuJqpUwNTf2BHRjY3unFa9R4hnRpMH received a payment of 15.04889331, even though this address has never received this much payment.

Is this a bug or a feature? If a bug, is it known?

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 05:17:39 AM

Bump, because it happened again. This address has recently received 2.47330177, and my client says it received 7.38126662 - which is actually the sum of what I received to several addresses in the same block, possibly from the same source (they are all Continuum pool rewards).

What is the best place to report such things?

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 05:36:47 AM

It's known. Change, for example, is never mentioned at all. You cannot count on the tx list to tell you how much is in each address. Eventually someone will write a client with all the info you could want. Until then block explorer will satisfy your desires.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 07:44:33 AM

It's known.
Thanks, that's all I needed to know.

Change, for example, is never mentioned at all. You cannot count on the tx list to tell you how much is in each address.
Didn't intend to. I only want to know how much I received in each address, so that I know whoever was supposed to pay me did. Whatever crazy things the client does later to rearrange my funds is not interesting.

krepta3000

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 05:49:36 PM

Didn't intend to. I only want to know how much I received in each address, so that I know whoever was supposed to pay me did. Whatever crazy things the client does later to rearrange my funds is not interesting.
[/quote]

I am not sure what you are describing.  Are you talking about what you are seeing on block explorer, or what you are seeing on the bitcoin UI?  Because block explorer says that some random amounts will be sent, by your client, to other addresses you own, in the background, in order to obscure exactly how much money you are getting in any transaction, doesn't it?  Even though it won't be shown in the UI, the UI reports the full payment coming into an address, not the obfuscating stuff going on in the background.

As for knowing whether someone sent what they were supposed to or not, Isn't that why we have Labels for incoming addresses on our bitcoin UI?  For instance, I use the same incoming address every time I play Bitcoin Darts, and it's Labeled Bitcoin Darts.  That way I know which payments are from Bitcoin Darts, and which are from someone else.  Even though Bitcoin Darts is probably sending from different addresses every time, so block explorer would be too confusing to use to figure stuff out.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2011, 06:46:38 PM

I thought I was clear in my problem description, but based on krepta's post and a reread of FreeMoney's I'm not so sure. I'm not talking about background processes which the client does without displaying the specifics. I'm talking about someone sending money to one of my addresses and this not appearing as a transaction in the client.

As for knowing whether someone sent what they were supposed to or not, Isn't that why we have Labels for incoming addresses on our bitcoin UI?  For instance, I use the same incoming address every time I play Bitcoin Darts, and it's Labeled Bitcoin Darts.  That way I know which payments are from Bitcoin Darts, and which are from someone else.  Even though Bitcoin Darts is probably sending from different addresses every time, so block explorer would be too confusing to use to figure stuff out.
Of course, labels are a convenient way to remind myself which address is associated with what. But this doesn't help if the client doesn't display that this address (with its label) received payment.

thinkweis

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 06:32:03 AM

I'm pretty sure that every time you do a transaction your wallet generates a new address. All the addresses that display in your bitcoin UI are attached to the same wallet. This is a security measure so you can't duplicate transactions.

I, of course, could be wrong.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 08:10:43 AM

I'm pretty sure that every time you do a transaction your wallet generates a new address. All the addresses that display in your bitcoin UI are attached to the same wallet. This is a security measure so you can't duplicate transactions.

AFAIK the client generates a new address when:
1. You send money, to receive the change
2. You receive money to the address currently selected in the GUI

In any case this has nothing to do with the problem I am describing.

thinkweis

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 06:13:33 PM

AFAIK the client generates a new address when:
1. You send money, to receive the change
2. You receive money to the address currently selected in the GUI

In any case this has nothing to do with the problem I am describing.

I see, misread the post.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: