Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:22:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Unobtanium Guild / UN-EX Discussion  (Read 2046 times)
BitcoinCharlie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 08:33:18 PM

This thread is in the wrong section btw. Moving it to 'alt discussion' or 'altcoin service discussion' or somewhere else is probably more appropriate?

LMAO, I am so inept on computer message boards, I have no idea how to move it. Is there a way?

As for the uproar about the Guild, it really took me by suprise as I had never heard anyone utter a negative word about it. Then, all of a sudden, there's a Gekko tidal wave of ultra-violence about it!  Suddenly, it's over with. I'd traded several times in several media there, always with success. If someone posted a price that stunk, one simply didn't buy...

Unobtanium - The crypto commodity you keep! |
Hate Inflation? You'll love $UNO

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gustav

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 08:48:43 PM

This thread is in the wrong section btw. Moving it to 'alt discussion' or 'altcoin service discussion' or somewhere else is probably more appropriate?

LMAO, I am so inept on computer message boards, I have no idea how to move it. Is there a way?

As for the uproar about the Guild, it really took me by suprise as I had never heard anyone utter a negative word about it. Then, all of a sudden, there's a Gekko tidal wave of ultra-violence about it!  Suddenly, it's over with. I'd traded several times in several media there, always with success. If someone posted a price that stunk, one simply didn't buy...

thread move, no idea. Maybe somewhere in settings, edit ... no idea ... or mod will when he sees it. When you put in title [please move to xy] it'll certainly happen?  Wink

Yeah, no idea. 'Group dynamics' i'd say.

I think IMZ has been upset by Gekko. I really hope he can take a breath, man up and continue doing his thing. We'd probably just have to find some way to include Gekko into the trading there that does not involve IMZ having to deal with Gekko, right?

I really liked that off-exchange orderbook and was thinking about putting orders up there before. Thought it was a good thing and especially precious metals trading is a very important field to develop for Uno.
siameze
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 09:06:09 PM

especially precious metals trading is a very important field to develop for Uno.

The idea the Guild had behind precious-metals trading was the one I liked best when I started my UNO research.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
learminer

Activity: 559

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 09:13:47 PM

As for the uproar about the Guild, it really took me by suprise as I had never heard anyone utter a negative word about it. Then, all of a sudden, there's a Gekko tidal wave of ultra-violence about it!  Suddenly, it's over with. I'd traded several times in several media there, always with success. If someone posted a price that stunk, one simply didn't buy...
Same here, I'm actually still a bit in shock how all of this played out. Personally I was not going to remove the guild from the site, nor was FK. The only reason it is gone is that you called it quits (and I happened to be working on the site at that time to fix the cryptsy API bug). So if you want to take a break, tweak the concept and return at a later time in a new form, we're all open for it.

@siameze I also posted in the main thread that I was very sorry to see you leave and am actually glad you're still around in some form, even if it is in an entirely different and much more sceptical mood. Good luck on your new bitcoin project. As for this community, it can only be as good as the people that choose to stay and participate. If you think one or even a few rotten apples means the entire tree is sick, well then bitcoin is probably also not a good place for you to be. The number of prominent bitcoin scams, thefts and unsavory behaviour that community has been responsible puts every other coin to shame. Just sayin' ...

siameze
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 09:34:48 PM

Same here, I'm actually still a bit in shock how all of this played out. Personally I was not going to remove the guild from the site, nor was FK. The only reason it is gone is that you called it quits (and I happened to be working on the site at that time to fix the cryptsy API bug). So if you want to take a break, tweak the concept and return at a later time in a new form, we're all open for it.

@siameze I also posted in the main thread that I was very sorry to see you leave and am actually glad you're still around in some form, even if it is in an entirely different and much more sceptical mood. Good luck on your new bitcoin project. As for this community, it can only be as good as the people that choose to stay and participate. If you think one or even a few rotten apples means the entire tree is sick, well then bitcoin is probably also not a good place for you to be. The number of prominent bitcoin scams, thefts and unsavory behaviour that community has been responsible puts every other coin to shame. Just sayin' ...

afaik, there hasn't been a bitcoin core dev that has such a background. Sure Gavin Andresen is a smacktard, but he and his reddit army are in for a good fight. Most of the scams, thefts, and generally unsavoury behavior you mention is 3rd parties, natural to any economy. A community can only stay vigilant and warn others in that respect.

If I discovered that one of the bitcoin core devs had at any point been involved in such undertakings, I might have a different view. If at some point this whole fiasco is sorted, the UNO community can expect my tireless assistance at any time. Crypto is my day job, so it isn't like I have anything else distracting me.

▀▀███▀
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
cragv

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 11:04:16 PM

I think you shouldn't close the guild, you should actually improve on how it operates maybe? I don't think being upset and closing it down is the right choice. People should work out some solutions and have an open and respectful discussion about goals, purpose and how it operates on the other thread maybe?

Closing the Guild had nothing to do with emotions and indeed, almost nothing to do with Gekko and his latest round of rants. The phone calls that preceded the closure were just like usual; regular, level-headed and amicable. No defeat, no resignation, no surprise or even loss associated with this move. The experiment has run its course and yesterday was a suitable time to let it go (Gekko may have helped with timing, but that's about it). The people are still around, we're just wiping the slate and moving forward with what we've learned.

gustav in particular, you've got a lot of ideas about what should and shouldn't work in a p2p trading group. Consider giving it a try, you'll learn a lot, I guarantee it! Thanks for the dialogue and see you guys around the boards. Cheers.
Krypto Superdog

Activity: 140
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 11:04:57 PM

can't believe you guys shut down the guild just because one guy was talking shit.

i was reeeaaalllly hoping his bluff would be called, or his position would be bought out.

can't believe you guys let him win

The rarest and fairest...Unobtanium
uRbd8HQKzKGTntYTHagHqKz25SaSaUuLzZ
cragv

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 12:51:48 AM

can't believe you guys shut down the guild just because one guy was talking shit.
Obviously this is not the case. This talk of winning and losing and drama is creating something from nothing. Review our posts from the last few days about the project slowly and organically departing from its original vision and you'll see this to be true. Cheers.
learminer

Activity: 559

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 12:48:39 PM

afaik, there hasn't been a bitcoin core dev that has such a background. Sure Gavin Andresen is a smacktard, but he and his reddit army are in for a good fight. Most of the scams, thefts, and generally unsavoury behavior you mention is 3rd parties, natural to any economy. A community can only stay vigilant and warn others in that respect.

If I discovered that one of the bitcoin core devs had at any point been involved in such undertakings, I might have a different view. If at some point this whole fiasco is sorted, the UNO community can expect my tireless assistance at any time. Crypto is my day job, so it isn't like I have anything else distracting me.

Good to hear and I agree to your point about the bitcoin core devs. Some food for thought, thanks for bringin some perspective to this discussion.

BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 01:22:33 PM
Last edit: July 01, 2015, 12:08:43 AM by BitcoinNational

People shouldn't take Gekko too serious imo.

He's ranting, so what?

I know the guild took a lot of time and money to operate. I understand that if one is not getting traction, one backs off the gas for a bit. Maybe they can shelf it for six months and then return to it...

those are 2 key points.

The other one: "Public vs. Private"

Rethink. Reframe.  Private Enterprise that just happens to favor UNO as the reserve unit of credit.

i was reeeaaalllly hoping his bluff would be called, or his position would be bought out.

can't believe you guys let him win

So a single hitler-troll is able to do this?  Roll Eyes

Agree, and in due time, the community (at least the core) will to be able to make the call.

But imagine you're IMZ and dealing with a madman willing to crash the market just to get his way.
It is a heavy burden, if it comes down to a shoot out.  

Personally I wouldn't mind the market taking a hit if in the long run it lances the boil.

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
siameze
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 01:39:32 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2015, 06:21:29 PM by siameze

I for one could give two shits about Gekko's rants. Being professional doesn't always mean that you will be insulated from curses, threats, etc. Most pros don't care, despite the fact that yes, some newcomers will nope right the fuck away from UNO when they read such nonsense. I am definitely a proponent of free speech, so by all means be as rude and foul-mouthed as you wish. Bear in mind that you can seldom take back what you say online however, and that at any point in the future someone might quote you and it will require eating those words. Simply put, say what you mean, and mean what you say. It makes it much easier for people like me to pick out the real pros, and those capable of intellectual thought that don't let pure emotion rule.

▀▀███▀
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
BitcoinCharlie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 06:17:58 PM

But imagine you're IMZ and dealing with a madman willing to crash the market just to get his way.
It is a heavy burden, if it comes down to a shoot out. 

Personally I wouldn't might the market taking a hit if in the long run it lances the boil.

I can say with complete confidence that his actions would not crash the market...

balu2

Activity: 742

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 06:40:18 PM

His 2k coins are a non-issue. He's not going to sell for a loss and if he would market would rebound quickly. I don't see why people would give in to blackmail. One does not let terrorists have their way because if you do they will have higher demands next time around. Everyone knows that.

I think closing the guild is not the correct move. Maybe let it rest for a little if people are too heated up but in the end of the day we need a place to trade our silver and gold for coins... So even if you close it PM trading will still be ongoing in one way or another so why not just leave it open?
BitcoinCharlie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 07:29:15 PM

Also, it is important to note, the Guild didn't close because one person talked trash. It closed b/c the moderators believed that it had run it's course and it was taking a lot of each's personal time and financial resources.

In any event, if people would like to do off-exchange transactions, the UNO-EX BCT page is still available:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=757232.1980

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: