Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 06:42:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Eyes on Greece?  (Read 2192 times)
MF Doom (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 08:09:57 PM

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0628/711122-greece-economy/

-Greek banks won't open Monday to prevent bank runs
- ATMs have been drained of cash over the weekend
-Creditors want pensions cut AND taxes raised

I know I'm keeping an eye on this situation, as this could very well happen in other parts of the world soon. I think btc could start looking like a  REALLY attractive way to get peoples cash out of a collaspsing financial system...
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 08:56:04 PM

I've been in Bitcoin for a long time and my gut feeling says you couldn't be more wrong.
I am very pro bitcoin but being in this depression for a long period I don't believe in purple unicorns anymore  Wink

In dire financial situations people don't look on the internet to find a volatile asset to put their money into. You aren't going to throw all your money on a roulette wheel and hope for number 17 :-).

They are more likely to invest in safe physical items (estate, gold, foreign obligations, etc.) or a permit to live in another country.

If you are correct then we would see increased adoption by countries like
- Equador
- Egypt
- Pakistan
- Venezuela
- Argentina
- Belize
- Cuba
- Cyprus
- Jamaica
- Ukraine
Reason is that this is a list of 10 countries close to bankruptcy.

I haven't been bothered to crossreference these countries with bitcoin but I don't believe people in these countries are flocking towards bitcoin to save them.

My 2cts

P.S. I also hope my bitcoins will make me millionare one day Wink

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 09:10:23 PM

I know I'm keeping an eye on this situation, as this could very well happen in other parts of the world soon. I think btc could start looking like a  REALLY attractive way to get peoples cash out of a collaspsing financial system...

+ Gold & silver
MF Doom (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 09:23:29 PM

I've been in Bitcoin for a long time and my gut feeling says you couldn't be more wrong.
I am very pro bitcoin but being in this depression for a long period I don't believe in purple unicorns anymore  Wink

In dire financial situations people don't look on the internet to find a volatile asset to put their money into. You aren't going to throw all your money on a roulette wheel and hope for number 17 :-).

They are more likely to invest in safe physical items (estate, gold, foreign obligations, etc.) or a permit to live in another country.

If you are correct then we would see increased adoption by countries like
- Equador
- Egypt
- Pakistan
- Venezuela
- Argentina
- Belize
- Cuba
- Cyprus
- Jamaica
- Ukraine
Reason is that this is a list of 10 countries close to bankruptcy.

I haven't been bothered to crossreference these countries with bitcoin but I don't believe people in these countries are flocking towards bitcoin to save them.

My 2cts

P.S. I also hope my bitcoins will make me millionare one day Wink

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any of those were using the Euro as currency. My point is that this is a more major currency tied into many other economies.  I agree, people may not necessarily flock now, but this could be the start of multiple countries finally facing their economies collapse
MF Doom (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 09:29:54 PM

+ Gold & silver

Yes Ron Paul has said to keep an eye on the price of gold too. He also predicted that the us dollar WILL collapse, its just aatter of time.

He successfully predicted in 2002-03 the housing bubble popping because he ACTUALLY UNDERSTOOD what the us gvt policies of loose lending was doing to home prices and how subprime mortgages would not end up helping people.

Also interesting is he is predicting that the dollar collapse could happen in a matter of HOURS not days or weeks...
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 09:58:53 PM

Shit got real: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-06-28/ignoring-tsipras-plea-calm-greeks-storm-atms-stores-gas-stations

https://twitter.com/Kons_u/status/615265783745236992/photo/1

https://twitter.com/OmairaGill/status/615268158023315456/photo/1

https://twitter.com/neweuropeinvest/status/615272434434969601/photo/1

nakaone

Activity: 742

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 10:13:18 PM

I do not think that it will directly affect this crisis but what matters is that due to money as well as capital controls bitcoin as a decentralized "currency" will gain legitimacy.

waterpile

Activity: 602

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 11:02:54 PM

I don't think that they would convert their money into bitcoin instantly there are alots of people who still don't know about bitcoin. Its just sad to see that their money is losing value..
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 11:06:42 PM

i realize that i don't have take cash from ATM ... since 20 years.
now, all my economies are in bitcoin only.

greek people are bizarre ... they want cash.

why ?

deploy bitcoin terminal and it's all, problem solve.
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 11:21:39 PM

It's too late for the Greeks now. Capital controls are in effect and banks will be closed for a week. They can't move fiat into exchanges, they can't buy bitcoin.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 11:26:23 PM

These pics say it all, next up they will be rioting, lighting fires (again) and praying that tomorrow is better.

aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 11:49:26 PM

turns out the local depositors were merely waiting until just after the last minute to withdraw their funds... horde gas... and stack food.

elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 11:51:21 PM

These pics say it all, next up they will be rioting, lighting fires (again) and praying that tomorrow is better.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/greeks-are-withdrawing-all-their-cash-876

Reddit comments:

[–]feigns_NA 448 points 9 hours ago
I'm an American on vacation in Greece at the moment. Not only is there a run on the bank going on, but businesses are not accepting credit cards either. I am currently waiting in line for one atm out of three that still has some cash left. Crazy times.
[–]chewyjackson 30 points 7 hours ago
Why are they not accepting credit cards?
[–]pilot3033 151 points 7 hours ago
Because when you accept a credit card, you're accepting the credit card bank's promise to pay you. Not a great proposition if you have no faith in the bank.

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/3bdu3k/greeks_are_emptying_their_bank_accounts_after/

Other comments:

I don't see why anyone in Greece would still have significant amounts of cash in a Greek bank.

If Greece's economy tanks, won't the money they withdraw become worthless? Shouldn't they be buying gold?

Honestly this story has been every single day for the past two months. If you're a Greek citizen and have any money whatsoever in the bank locally (except for immediate payments of bills) you're insane. I'd have withdrawn that stuff weeks ago, or maybe in the last two weeks at the very latest. Nothing here is as surprising as the lines at ATMs. Seriously...wtf people?!

It's more like a bank saunter or a bank jog at most so far. When the banks open tomorrow (if they open at all), the last of the euros they have in stock will be gone in minutes as they've been kept afloat by the ECB since about last week.

Why would anyone with half a brain wait this long? Cypris' capital controls should have been a giant red flag to anyone paying attention that your money would not be safe in a Greek Bank if you were a Greek Citizen.
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 11:51:58 PM

The Greek situation is demonstrating precisely how useful bitcoin is, but unfortunately few people are paying attention. It's staggering to think that people actually still had money in Greek banks!

botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 12:46:12 AM

I am curious about how you can prevent a bank run in this day and age.
Are there restrictions on online transfers as well?
Mobius

Activity: 988

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 01:10:34 AM

This was a pretty obvious scenario. I would have had all of my money out long ago.
Miracal

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 05:03:48 AM

Reuters is reporting tonight that Greece’s financial stability council recommended that ATMs should be closed on Monday, and that the €60 limit would then kick in on Tuesday. I think the limit is set too low but what can there be anything done about it, there is nothing much left in their banks anyway. Its sad watching the economy of Greece just fall apart.
ragi

Activity: 686

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 06:57:14 AM

Limit on card withdrawals is 60EUR/day. Ouch!

no.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 07:03:56 AM

Within a few days the bitcoin economy will realize nothing will happten to the price,  the Greeks are not buying btc. We are looking at another long term down trend again.
Don't be fooled.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 08:20:14 AM

Within a few days the bitcoin economy will realize nothing will happten to the price,  the Greeks are not buying btc. We are looking at another long term down trend again.
Don't be fooled.

you and your hundred alt accounts are a comedian. this is a great time for people in greece to get into a safe haven like bitcoin where their shitty government can't harm them.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: