Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 03:55:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Could a "moderate" attack to Bitcoin help on the long term?  (Read 1122 times)
Sergio_Demian_Lerner (OP)
expert

Activity: 554
Merit: 632

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 03:51:09 PM

Please don't shout at me, since this it is a pure speculative (and crazily provocative) idea...

I'm thinking that a small scale attack to Bitcoin could help the user base adopt the habit of timely upgrades.

For example, 3 months have past since CVE-2012-3789 was issued and still 40% of the network is running v0.6.2!!

Why is people so slow at upgrading?
Do the same thing happens in other open source projects?

If someone attacked Bitcon, not a big panic but just some nodes going down here and there, the price won't go down (maybe just a few cents) then everyone will pay much more attention to upgrades...

Ohh, I miss the times when SolidCoin threatened to take down Bitcoin...  Smiley

PS: Please don't misinterpret: this is just speculation!

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 05:28:24 PM

There should be an automated warning for upgrade incorporated in each clients. That should help people to be aware of new versions.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 08:13:27 PM

There should be an automated warning for upgrade incorporated in each clients. That should help people to be aware of new versions.

There are, sorta.  The antique pre-QT node that I run at home for my own amusement has been whining about potential DOS attacks for like a year now.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1038

Death to enemies!

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 02:46:58 PM

I don't use newer Bitcoin version because:
1. Bitcoin-Qt interface sucks hard. And there is nothing that I can reasonably do about it.
2. Old Bitcoin version allow me to send without any transaction fees. I dont trust the no-tx mod of newer Bitcoin.

Go ahead, attack me!

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 02:57:47 PM

If people are leaving themselves vulnerable and a big player jumps in, then it will be a good opportunity for the big player to make some easy bitcoins.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 09:31:31 AM

I guess my 2^256 Deep Space Vagabond app/"game" could be viewed as a (very gentle) theoretical attack on Bitcoin Smiley
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2012, 09:42:17 AM

1. Bitcoin-Qt interface sucks hard. And there is nothing that I can reasonably do about it.
2. Old Bitcoin version allow me to send without any transaction fees. I dont trust the no-tx mod of newer Bitcoin.

I didn't really like the UI change to QT initially but I must say now that it has grown on me (and has improved with the last couple of versions). Also there is no problem with setting the tx fee to zero.

Perhaps you might consider giving it another try?

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Diapolo

Activity: 769
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2012, 11:27:49 AM

I didn't really like the UI change to QT initially but I must say now that it has grown on me (and has improved with the last couple of versions). Also there is no problem with setting the tx fee to zero.

Perhaps you might consider giving it another try?

We are working hard there and every valuable suggestion on how to make it better over time will be looked at. A good place to give us some input is opening an issue ticket on Github: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues.

Dia

Liked my former work for Bitcoin Core? Drop me a donation via:
1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x
bitcoin:1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x?label=Diapolo
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 07:11:03 PM

Actually I think it's good not everyone instantly updates to the newest version because this way if ever it should happen that the newest version was changed in anyway deviating from some rules or adding new rules we'd still have a lot of people who wouldn't enforce those and the Bitcoin network would stay intact.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Sergio_Demian_Lerner (OP)
expert

Activity: 554
Merit: 632

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 02:42:24 PM

A month is more than enough to test and upgrade. Nevertheless, currently, Bitcoin users take 5 months to upgrade to 90% or so.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: