Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:48:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Prepare Wallet  (Read 855 times)
kayrice (OP)

Activity: 104
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 05:25:55 PM

I make bets within a short period of time and I need to ensure that I can spend my wallet in better "increments". What happens right now is the wallet available balance can go down drastically after spending just 0.1 BTC which can affects my bankroll used during betting.

How can I prepare my wallet ahead of time so that I am less likely to be locked by small transactions?
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 05:37:48 PM

I'm going to take a guess here. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

It would seem that you could decide ahead of time what increments you want to spend/bet in.  Then you could divide your total balance by this increment.  This would give you a number of addresses that you could use to split up the balance such that you could spend from each address individually without breaking up the balance at the other addresses into smaller pieces.  Then you could create that number of addresses, and send your entire balance in a single transaction split equally across each of the newly created receiving addresses.  This should create a single output to each address that represents the full amount at that address.  Then whenever you send/bet from one of those addresses, you would spend/bet the full amount at the address (the entire amount being represented as a single output that could be spent all at once), leaving the rest of the addresses available for future spends/bets.  Of course depending on what you are playing and where you are playing it, you could find that your winnings are received in multiple small outputs, so you'd end up repeating this process regularly to keep everything consolidated.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 08:19:34 PM

I'm not sure that this will ever make it into the main client.  It just doesn't seem like a pressing issue for most people.

I'm working on a script to clean up my personal wallet, and it could maybe be adapted to something like this.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
kayrice (OP)

Activity: 104
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Thanks guys. Im not looking to change or use the original client, but actually how can I accomplish this? Currently I'm using MultiBit and have resorted to sending myself arbitrary amounts around the division points I think I need, but I have no way of seeing how my wallet is broken up currently. Is there a RPC or command line tool that lets me see how my wallet is fragmented?

Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 11:23:42 PM

Note that the reference client does allow you to spend change immediately (without confirmations), while Multibit doesn't (afaik).

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 01:19:20 AM

Currently I'm using MultiBit and have resorted to sending myself arbitrary amounts around the division points I think I need, but I have no way of seeing how my wallet is broken up currently.

To split your wallet so that you have many inputs with a smaller granularity, there is BTCRelay:

- http://btcrelay.com
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60603.0

How that could be used is when sending the wager, give your BTCRelay address as the "custom Bitcoin address" payout method, and then have BTCRelay split that ten ways (or whatever you want) to addresses in your own wallet.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █