Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 08:53:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-09-18 JoeCascio.net - Do bitcoins actually exist?  (Read 1409 times)
joecascio (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

Semi-retired software developer, tech consultant

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 06:35:02 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2014, 02:54:05 PM by Raoul Duke

Just published this post on my blog in response to a Twitter conversation I had yesterday.

"Do bit coins actually exist?" http://joecascio.net/joecblog/2012/09/18/do-bitcoins-actually-exist/

Joe Cascio
Python/Django & Android developer
Twitter: @joecascio
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 07:18:54 PM

I liked it, especially the first half.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 07:31:50 PM

Not only they exist, but you can actually verify they do.

I mean, the bitcoin database is public and every single transaction is stored on every user's computer.

Someone sends you a bitcoin, and your computer verifies that this bitcoin exists by looking at the transactions it points to, all the way back to when it was created by a miner.

There is nothing of the sort with any other currency.

So yeah, they do exist.  Not in the physical sense but hey, does an email exist in the physical sense?  Does this forum message exit in the physical sense??  Why would electronic money scare anyone more than any other electronic stuff they use on internet?

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 07:34:44 PM

Well there are two distinctions here I think:
1) bitcoins don't really exist, they are a concept we all agree to use
2) but entries into the blockchain ledger we call bitcoins most certainly exist

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 07:37:14 PM

Well there are two distinctions here I think:
1) bitcoins don't really exist, they are a concept we all agree to use
2) but entries into the blockchain ledger we call bitcoins most certainly exist

I think the problem is that the verb "exist" has a long history of being used with a physical meaning.  It is obviously confusing in information technology.

Isn't there any word to make this distinction clearer?

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 07:43:02 PM

Hah! No, I don't think there is.

Btw try defining "to exist" without making a circular definition..  Grin

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 07:50:37 PM

existence: an identifiable arraignment of matter and/or energy.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 07:51:55 PM

What is matter and what is energy?

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 08:09:53 PM

You can print them on a QR Code and you will have a bitcoin banknote.  Cheesy

Dan The Man

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 12:01:40 AM

What about imaginary arrangements like unicorns. Your definition would imply that unicorns and bizzarro superman exist
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 02:40:53 AM

What about imaginary arrangements like unicorns. Your definition would imply that unicorns and bizzarro superman exist
The idea of a unicorn is different than an actual unicorn standing in front of you. Existance is subject to all the same rules for proof than any other statement is subject.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 08:47:58 AM

The idea of a unicorn is different than an actual unicorn standing in front of you. Existance is subject to all the same rules for proof than any other statement is subject.

And yet you dodged my question, why is that?

scribe

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 09:52:12 AM

Been reading a bit about semiotics and myth recently, and have realised that signs and symbols are actually a *really* useful way of thinking about what "exists". In a zen kind of way (does a falling tree in a forest make a sound, yadda yadda), all symbols only exist if/when they can be tied back to some original "value" - i.e. Bitcoins "exist" if you can spend/sell them.

Technology - and language, marketing, etc - is all about symbols. Does a Facebook "Like" exist? Perhaps it "exists" if it gives me emotional feedback, in the same way that a sunset "exists" as an emotional thing. Can I buy food with a "Like"? No. Well, not directly. Can I buy food with a Bitcoin? Yes - because it enforces scarcity and therefore ownership and therefore is equivalent, in terms of physicality, to a "real" food "object".

So Bitcoins exist, but their existence is tied not to the "belief" in them, but to supply and demand. They exist, like any unit of currency, as a representation of desire to swap stuff.

Or something.

blocknois.es Bitcoin music label. ~ New release: This Is Art

Read: Bitcoin Life | Wear: FUTUREECONOMY
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 05:40:34 PM

Been reading a bit about semiotics and myth recently, and have realised that signs and symbols are actually a *really* useful way of thinking about what "exists". In a zen kind of way (does a falling tree in a forest make a sound, yadda yadda), all symbols only exist if/when they can be tied back to some original "value" - i.e. Bitcoins "exist" if you can spend/sell them.

Symbols and beliefs do exist in their own way.

Superman does exist, in the sense that we all know about him:  it's a character that has an accurate, known representation in comics, cinema and all.

On the opposite, there is, for instance, no such thing as a bitcoin super-heros.  I mean: a super-heros whose super-power consists in being able to magically solve a block for any difficulty in an instant.  This super heros would be called "bitcoinman", and he would look like a typical superheros:  he would have a cape and tight pants (black and yellow, for anarcapism), a mask and a big bitcoin sign shield on his chest.

Well, now that I've just imagined him, he does exist.  But just before that, he did not.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: