Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:55:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Just started mining...  (Read 1384 times)
buddrulez (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 08:04:50 PM

Well I had a nice suprise from the tax man today and now have a $500 budget for a new card/s!
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCMiners.net

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 08:07:23 PM

Well I had a nice suprise from the tax man today and now have a $500 budget for a new card/s!

Woot.  I would get the ASIC's from BFL though, tbh. Just sayin.. Wink

Buy Cloud Hashing! $8.50 USD per GH/s!  [32.231 TH/s] Remaining
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=329674.20  -- www.BTCMiners.net
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 08:33:52 PM

Or an asic from Cablepair/Avalon at this point  Wink
BTCMiners.net

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 08:40:02 PM

Or an asic from Cablepair/Avalon at this point  Wink

Touche. LOL

Buy Cloud Hashing! $8.50 USD per GH/s!  [32.231 TH/s] Remaining
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=329674.20  -- www.BTCMiners.net
buddrulez (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 08:56:44 PM

What is this ASIC? From what I can make out its specificly for bitcoin and better than a GPU? Are they even for sale yet and what sort of price are they?

[Edit]
n00b moment there I will do the research next time before asking!
RoboCoder

Activity: 388

Save A Life, Adopt a Pet Today!

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 09:14:48 PM

What is this ASIC? From what I can make out its specificly for bitcoin and better than a GPU? Are they even for sale yet and what sort of price are they?

I wouldn't hold my breath on them being release on time.  I would continue current methods for now.  Although I did just order a BFL single out of curiosity to see how long it would take to receive (something that has been available rather than vaporware) from them - especially since technically i won't lose my investment if i get their ASIC because they offer a full credit of what I paid for the Single towards the new unit.

My general understanding from reading in the forum is that BFL products do work at projected hash rates or better, but painfully slow delivery cycles..  again - personally i will keep doing what i am doing and will shift to the asic's when they arrive (or if).
buddrulez (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 09:45:27 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath on them being release on time.  I would continue current methods for now.  Although I did just order a BFL single out of curiosity to see how long it would take to receive (something that has been available rather than vaporware) from them - especially since technically i won't lose my investment if i get their ASIC because they offer a full credit of what I paid for the Single towards the new unit.

My general understanding from reading in the forum is that BFL products do work at projected hash rates or better, but painfully slow delivery cycles..  again - personally i will keep doing what i am doing and will shift to the asic's when they arrive (or if).

So what your saying is just get a decent gpu for now and see if/what happens after they get delivered and tested?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 10:01:52 PM

More or less, yes.

buddrulez (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 10:30:03 PM

NIce one thanks for the advice mate!
RoboCoder

Activity: 388

Save A Life, Adopt a Pet Today!

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 05:05:11 PM

So what your saying is just get a decent gpu for now and see if/what happens after they get delivered and tested?

Yup.

At least thats the way i am approaching it.  Basically hedging my bets.

If you get good GPU's (i use almost exclusively 7970's) - they hold their value very well.  so even if things change and you switch to HHR (high-hash rate) ASIC's, then you can recoup probably 60-85% of your investment into the GPU's.  do a search on ebay for radeon 7970 and look at what the used ones are going for..
trocon

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 08:05:12 PM

4) get a vacuum cleaner and clean out that poor thing.

No! Never vacuum electronics, at least not using direct contact (the fabric brush, or crevice device):

a) the tip could easily cause damage to surface-mounted parts, and
b) electrostatic build-up could be created or transferred, especially with the plastic brushes

A can of compressed air is a much safer bet. Vacuuming your power supply and such from outside the grille is safe, even though compressed air would probably still be more effective.  OTOH, having a vacuum cleaner nozzle nearby collecting all that airborne mess is acceptable.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: