Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:23:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Re-Occuring Subscritption Payments Solution?  (Read 1122 times)
Sage (OP)

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 01:32:50 AM

Is there any solution anywhere that will allow me to setup free trials + re-occuring payments on a website?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 01:39:44 AM

Not quite sure exactly what you are asking about (free trials of what?) but the very nature of Bitcoin means that unlike credit cards (which are a pull system) the wallet owner has to make each an every payment themselves (which is a push system).

So until the standard (or some other) client comes with a "periodic payment" sub-system you could really only send a payment reminder to your customers.

You might be interested to take a look at Open Transactions though as I think it could be suitable for creating contracts with recurring payments.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 11:57:36 AM

Is there any solution anywhere that will allow me to setup free trials + re-occuring payments on a website?

This will probably come from a wallet provider.  Like CoinBase for instance.   Also BitPay.com was describing how they might be able to do it.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 01:10:04 PM

The software people use doesn't support it at the moment, but it's an easy modification to make.

On mobile wallets, it's easy to get the OS to wake the app up at pre-determined times and make a payment in the background. As long as you keep your phone on all the time, you're done at this point. For desktop wallets, you can do something similar.

One question is how best to do it if you don't want to have a wallet app running/runnable all the time, eg you close the lid on your laptop then go on vacation for a few weeks. Firstly you need a payment protocol and an app that makes working with multiple wallets easy, like MultiBit does, and we need to re-activate tx replacement. Now do this:

Put some money into your "subscription to foo" wallet. Your app can then break up the funds such that there is an output for each recurring payment up to the amount of money placed into the wallet. Then it creates transactions with nLockTimes set such that each transaction is a recurring payment and submits all of them in a batch to the provider. They can only claim the money once each billing period has passed. If the user wishes to unsubscribe, they just move the money out of that separate wallet they created using transactions that have a higher version number. The service provider can be automatically notified that the timelocked transactions they have got double-spent away and thus that the service should be cancelled.

oldschool

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 11:19:05 PM

Also BitPay.com was describing how they might be able to do it.

I'd be interested in reading about that, care to explain further or link to where they discussed it?

Thanks!
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 12:24:51 AM

I think WalletBit got what you are looking for.

https://walletbit.com/docs/subscriptions
oldschool

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 12:35:47 AM

A little off-topic, but what was the outcome of the DDOS and ransom Kris?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 01:02:40 AM

I'd be interested in reading about that, care to explain further or link to where they discussed it?

I'm remembering something more specific on it but don't remember the source.  They are aware of the demand and the issues:

Subscriptions are a big source of charge backs and can sometimes completely negate any benefits.  Still, there's nothing that says you can't make a wallet that would support a subscription billing model.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

maaku
Legendary
expert

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 05:47:56 AM

Open-Transactions.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 06:18:34 AM

A little off-topic, but what was the outcome of the DDOS and ransom Kris?

Nothing much, I managed to prevent it rather good, and they have giving up now. But back on topic, WalletBit subscription do required that the person fund their account, we have no way of sending them invoices for missing amount. So you need to make sure you account for this when you receive status = 0 from the IPN.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: