Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:59:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Willing to pay BTC for anyone who can solve private key  (Read 937 times)
famous_ (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 10:50:00 AM
Last edit: July 01, 2015, 04:30:24 PM by famous_

I am wondering if there is anybody on this forum with the technical skill to solve for a bitcoin address private key given the following inputs:

1. Known public key (compressed): 01ed66b26b8412c0b2913828a635dgba6163d5589e5f45a86e36ae89c90ef2b1c92
2. Partially known private key, with one missing character (compressed): Kl82y9oU4GAfpsTeoJPV3yu2mgFqAj1Z1Pk9ZvzkmYMQVg96Q5b

Of course the example above contains made-up public and private keys. The situation is, I have a significant amount of money locked up in multi-sig escrow, and I need one of the (2) private keys to retrieve the coins. I have the full private key string, minus one character (most likely it is a character at the beginning or end).

I am willing to pay $100 in BTC to anyone who can help me, or potentially more if I see that more work than I thought is involved. If it turns out that the private key can't be found, you will still receive payment after I hire a second investigator to confirm this result. I am very confident, however, that the partial string I have is true.

My offer is real, we can use any escrow mechanism of your choice.

Please reply to this thread or message me if you are up to the task or have any questions or comments.

I really want those coins....

EDIT: Game over, see my second post in this thread. I thank everyone for their interest, unfortunately it seems I cannot delete this thread so it will have to stay here and clutter up your guys's section Tongue
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 11:37:09 AM

I am wondering if there is anybody on this forum with the technical skill to solve for a bitcoin address private key given the following inputs:

1. Known public key (compressed): 01ed66b26b8412c0b2913828a635dgba6163d5589e5f45a86e36ae89c90ef2b1c92
2. Partially known private key, with one missing character (compressed): Kl82y9oU4GAfpsTeoJPV3yu2mgFqAj1Z1Pk9ZvzkmYMQVg96Q5b

Of course the example above contains made-up public and private keys. The situation is, I have a significant amount of money locked up in multi-sig escrow, and I need one of the (2) private keys to retrieve the coins. I have the full private key string, minus one character (most likely it is a character at the beginning or end).

I am willing to pay $100 in BTC to anyone who can help me, or potentially more if I see that more work than I thought is involved. If it turns out that the private key can't be found, you will still receive payment after I hire a second investigator to confirm this result. I am very confident, however, that the partial string I have is true.

My offer is real, we can use any escrow mechanism of your choice.

Please reply to this thread or message me if you are up to the task or have any questions or comments.

I really want those coins....

Be VERY CAREFUL about who you share the information with.  If it only requires this 1 key to access any bitcoins now or in the future, it is VERY LIKELY that you will be contacted by scammers that will keep a copy of hte key and will steal any bitcoins they can any time they get the chance.

That being said, if you think I'm trustworthy, and want my help, feel free to send me a PM.

Note that if the first character is not either a 5, L, or K then it is the first character that you are missing.  Try each of those 3 characters and see if any of them work.  If the first character IS a 5, L, or K then you almost certainly have the correct first character.  You can try each of the the following characters as the last character and see if any of them work:

Code:
123456789ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijkmnopqrstuvwxyz

(notice there is no zero, capital O, lowercase el, or capital I)

If none of those work for the last character, then your key is messed up somewhere else, or you don't actually have a valid private key at all.
CryptoFuture

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

Diggit.io Admin

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 03:18:00 PM

I checked all possible matches for one character missing on Kl82y9oU4GAfpsTeoJPV3yu2mgFqAj1Z1Pk9ZvzkmYMQVg96Q5b and got nothing. Are you sure its correct?

s2

Activity: 198
Merit: 123

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 03:22:21 PM

I'm probably doing this wrong but thought it would be fun to try...

I wrote a bit of python to iterate over adding in a character from 123456789ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijkmnopqrstuvwxyz at every space and check if a valid bitcoin address was found.

a few oddities stood out imediately though...

The private key given is 52 characters long just like an uncompressed key would be.
The compressed key should be 53 characters hence why I think you're asking for the missing character.

What is weird is the private key has a lowercase L  (i.e. 'l') in there... this therefore can't be a valid base58 value.
I tried replacing the L with a 1 and this generates an invalid private key so instead treated it like a brain wallet doing a SHA256() on it giving the address 1LgcRxRoTcx7pZWXdBNWHBUaoZpsEsU8uK which has 0 funds in it so looks a dead end.

I also tried brain wallets by just removing the 'l' character and again no funds at the address 13KK9xSXXrN6MS4P1hAMrB5V5q8ehLAmJg.

I also tried running through all the characters replacing that 'l' but no valid private key could be found.

Without knowing a bit more information about this it's really hard to know what is happening with this.
Are you certain it's a private key?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 04:00:36 PM

I checked all possible matches for one character missing on Kl82y9oU4GAfpsTeoJPV3yu2mgFqAj1Z1Pk9ZvzkmYMQVg96Q5b and got nothing. Are you sure its correct?

- snip -
a few oddities stood out imediately though...
- snip -

Both of you, please actually take the time to read the post you are responding to before you waste your own time as well as the time of others...

- snip -
Of course the example above contains made-up public and private keys.
- snip -
amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 04:01:33 PM
Last edit: July 01, 2015, 04:23:07 PM by amaclin

Of course the example above contains made-up public and private keys

Are you certain it's a private key?

This is an example.
By the way: it is not too difficult to create a program which resolves single-char-errors in base58check
I can do it today. May be.
But.
What I want to say.
You should run it on your computer, you should not give me your broken private key!
Because I am not sure of myself  Grin

My very dirty code (with my test example!):
Code:
     static const char base58Characters[59] = "123456789ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijkmnopqrstuvwxyz";
    static const QByteArray p ( "L4rK1yDtCWekvXuE6oXD9jCYfFNV2cWRpVuPLBCU2z8TrisoyY1" ); // missing character
    for ( int i ( 0 ); i <= p.size ( ); i++ )
    {
        printf ( "." );
        for ( int j ( 0 ); base58Characters [j]; j++ )
        {
          QByteArray tmp ( p );
          tmp.insert ( i, base58Characters [j] );
          if ( MyKey32::fromWifCheck ( tmp.constData ( ) ) )
          {
              _trace ( "" );
              _trace ( MyKey32::fromWif ( tmp.constData ( ) ).toStringWif ( true ) );
              _trace ( MyKey32::fromWif ( tmp.constData ( ) ).getAddressHashCompressed ( ).toString ( ) );
          }
        }
    }

And the console output:
"L4rK1yDtCWekvXuE6oXD9jCYfFNV2cWRpVuPLBcCU2z8TrisoyY1"
"1F3sAm6ZtwLAUnj7d38pGFxtP3RVEvtsbV"
CryptoFuture

Diggit.io Admin

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 04:22:51 PM

Both of you, please actually take the time to read the post you are responding to before you waste your own time as well as the time of others...

Of course the example above contains made-up public and private keys.

Yes, I just presumed that the 'made up' keys were actually generated, I guess I was wrong.

famous_ (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 04:27:56 PM

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Unfortunately I am working with someone and we have already determined that something went wrong in the address-generation process, because the private key cannot be found given my initial conditions. I will be paying out the bounty anyway to the person I worked with. Once again, thanks all for your interest, unfortunately the funds will stay locked in multi-sig, a true donation to all of you hodlers Smiley
CryptoFuture

Diggit.io Admin

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 04:32:57 PM

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Unfortunately I am working with someone and we have already determined that something went wrong in the address-generation process, because the private key cannot be found given my initial conditions. I will be paying out the bounty anyway to the person I worked with. Once again, thanks all for your interest, unfortunately the funds will stay locked in multi-sig, a true donation to all of you hodlers Smiley
Bummer, that's sad to hear. How much did you lose?

famous_ (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 06:15:46 AM

Bummer, that's sad to hear. How much did you lose?

Around 3.4BTC. Oh well, life goes on!
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 06:24:48 AM

Just for the record: What is the address or transaction ID(s) for this lost transaction?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: