Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:33:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paypal buying international money transfer player Xoom, Xoom ceo Like Bitcoin  (Read 983 times)
Argwai96 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 10:25:48 PM

PayPal is buying Xoom for $25 a share, in an all-cash deal, the companies said Wednesday. Xoom operates as an international money-transfer player.

Following a trading halt, Xoom shares resumed extended hours trading around 6 p.m. ET and spiked as much as 25 percent.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102789575

Xoom ceo talks Bitcoin

http://blog.xoom.com/2014/08/xooms-ceo-kunze-chats-bitcoin-mobile-apps-and-more.html

could this be the beginning for paypal and bitcoin!
HigsonPP

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 04:07:37 AM

The 890 Million dollar deal is all good, because paypal can afford that kind of money. It is a very smart move by paypal to purchase xoom and you will see why in the following years. However, I would not have high hopes of paypal's connection with bitcoin just because xoom's CEO likes bitcoin. yes, things might get good for bitcoin paypal relationship but no, I wouldn't really hope for things to spark up that way.

Argwai96 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 04:51:24 AM

paypal is defendly looking into the remittance business model by buying xoom, lots of great things coming to pay pal and xoom.

Hopefully bitcoin is part of the short term plans after the deal finishes.
dblink

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 05:50:38 AM

Seems, that you are fan of Paypal, according to me I was having bad experience regards to Paypal, Whenever I transfer the money from Paypal, I always in ambiguous situation that, how much percentage they will debit from my account, since they display something and later they add  many taxes etc.. etc.... such that

ammy009

Activity: 303

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 07:35:11 AM

I don't like Paypal ....... I've lost around $500 for fake chargebacks  ...... and paypal never did anything for me .... So, I like Bitcoin as my payment system in my shopping site

sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 06:12:02 PM

An extract from interview of Xoom CEO:

----------------------------------------------

Q: KW: It’s pretty hard to talk about moving money anywhere these days, especially cross-border, without talking about bitcoin. As you know, a lot of people believe that this currency opportunity and protocol is the superior way to move money from person to person. How do you feel about that?

A: I think anyone that wants to move money from point A to point B has to deal with two very important challenges that, for bitcoin to succeed, players in that ecosystem must also solve in addition to still being efficient and not costly.

The two problems are being able to on-board good and clean funds – defending against money laundering threats, and not moving money that was sourced from or used for illegal purposes. Money that’s on-boarded also should not have been fraudulently been put into a user’s system.

The other problem is off-boarding funds on service levels that consumers expect to get, with customer operations that will support transactions even if there are mistakes in the transaction.

So, if I wanted to move money to a bank account in India, I have to have an off-boarding relationship with that bank and operationalize that off-boarding so that it’s available 24/7/365, and I have to be able to deal with anything that slows down or interrupts the quality of service. Obviously, that bank has to agree to this, and we have to have an economic relationship. We do this over and over with all big banks in markets that we serve. It’s the only way that we can effectively move money into any bank account in any country with the right oversight.

Once you deal with on-boarding and off-boarding of funds, you’re basically a money transferring company. It remains to be seen if these problems can be solved by bitcoin while incurring much less cost. And even today, with these very good bitcoin operators, they are on-boarding U.S. dollars at interchange rates that are higher than that of credit cards. Moving money through Coinbase, for example, is going to be much more expensive, for example, than moving it through XOOM.

In the end, though, if bitcoin could help us be more efficient, we would use it. But unless the bitcoin ecosystem self-regulates and gets consumer protection in place, and deals proactively with money laundering risks, the regulators will start regulating them like we’ve seen in New York, and once that happens it also remains to be seen if they can operate on a less-cost basic than classic MSBs (money service businesses).

------------------------------------------------

http://www.pymnts.com/news/2014/is-bitcoin-the-future-of-money-transfer/#.VZbP9kZGQ0Y

Seems like a decent guy. Talks about strength and weaknesses of Bitcoin at the same time.

cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 07:19:11 PM

The other problem is off-boarding funds on service levels that consumers expect to get, with customer operations that will support transactions even if there are mistakes in the transaction.

This problem he talks about is impossible to solve unless you make bitcoin anonymous. As long as we have a public ledger someone can spot a coin that has a source of being in silk road or something criminally related. But what are you going to do about it? being "racist" about certain coins so to speak only because they got some shady origin would kill fungibility. If we start discerning between coins, fungibility is over, and again, I dont see a way to solve this unless you make the transactions somehow anonymous.
Daisy14

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 03:44:43 AM

PayPal is buying Xoom for $25 a share, in an all-cash deal, the companies said Wednesday. Xoom operates as an international money-transfer player.

Following a trading halt, Xoom shares resumed extended hours trading around 6 p.m. ET and spiked as much as 25 percent.

http://www.c[Suspicious link removed]m/id/102789575

Xoom ceo talks uᴉoɔʇᴉq

http://blog.xoom.com/2014/08/xooms-ceo-kunze-chats-uᴉoɔʇᴉq-mobile-apps-and-more.html

could this be the beginning for paypal and uᴉoɔʇᴉq!

Don't get your hopes high, Paypal is not switching over to uᴉoɔʇᴉq anytime soon. It has too many customers who know nothing about uᴉoɔʇᴉq to start operating with uᴉoɔʇᴉq. Though it might someday have uᴉoɔʇᴉq options for its customers, which is really not needed since uᴉoɔʇᴉq can be transferred without Paypal's help.
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 05:03:10 AM

http://www.c[Suspicious link removed]m/id/102789575

Xoom ceo talks uᴉoɔʇᴉq

http://blog.xoom.com/2014/08/xooms-ceo-kunze-chats-uᴉoɔʇᴉq-mobile-apps-and-more.html

could this be the beginning for paypal and uᴉoɔʇᴉq!

Don't get your hopes high, Paypal is not switching over to uᴉoɔʇᴉq anytime soon. It has too many customers who know nothing about uᴉoɔʇᴉq to start operating with uᴉoɔʇᴉq. Though it might someday have uᴉoɔʇᴉq options for its customers, which is really not needed since uᴉoɔʇᴉq can be transferred without Paypal's help.
This rings very true. Paypal has bought bitcoin people from their companies to work for them. This includes Xapo's director and another company's director fall of last year.
They have not intention of co-operating with bitcoin but clearly wants to deter any more innovation on it's front and having any more people going towards it.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
zodiac3011

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 07:38:44 AM

so if paypal is starting to take control of Xoom which may mean joining bitcoin payment process, will chargeback become true with bitcoin? This will be just a failure in my opinion.
HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 02:15:01 PM

PayPal is just rich company, so they just buying companies to spend profit. In fact this is nice deal, but of course Bitcoin is more important player as PayPal.  Wink
apriyoni

Activity: 308

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2016, 11:44:38 AM

PayPal is just rich company, so they just buying companies to spend profit. In fact this is nice deal, but of course Bitcoin is more important player as PayPal.  Wink

I think the Paypal just want to prepare for the adoption of the bitcoin in its payment system so that it will lead again.
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1500

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 09:30:18 AM

It is a long tern strategy for paypal and few changes in how paypal operates is going to come soon.

There are many regulatory issues with some countries and xoom operation will pave its way for smooth exchange.

Welcoming deal as I am using paypal service for almost 8 years now. IN my country paypal is facing few regulatory issues which I hope will be resolved now.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: