Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:39:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Study: Most Americans suffer from ‘Digital Amnesia’  (Read 4888 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 12:09:29 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2016, 02:04:16 PM by Wilikon

Quick, what’s your aunt’s cellphone number? Or your best friend’s from college?

Better yet, tell us what you did on Monday? You may have a tough time remembering because the Internet is wrecking your memory. That’s according to a new study from Kaspersky Lab, which finds Americans can’t commit data to memory because the answers are just a click away.

The term, according to the lab, is called “Digital Amnesia” — the experience of forgetting information that you trust a digital device to store and remember for you.

“The results reveal that the ‘Google Effect’ likely extends beyond online facts to include important personal information,” researchers wrote in the report. “Many consumers are happy to forget, or risk forgetting information they can easily find — or find again online.”

For instance, people 45 and old are more likely to get answers from the web, then write the fact down or choose to forget it once they’ve used it, the survey found.

Ninety-one percent of those surveyed said they use the Internet as an online extension of their brain. Forty-four percent said their smartphone serves as their memory; everything they need to remember is right there in their pocket.

“In many societies, having access to the Internet feels as stable as having access to electricity or running water,” says Dr. Kathryn Mills, with the UCL Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience at University College London.

“It would be interesting to explore further whether individuals in places where the Internet is unreliable feel greater need to remember contact details or facts, or have a different perspective on information access.”

http://wtop.com/health/2015/07/study-most-americans-suffer-from-digital-amnesia/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 05:48:08 AM

Next step of human evolution. A matter of time before human/machine hybrid breeding program starts.
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 05:54:58 AM

How did they conduct the test? I'm not yet convinced that the people in the study were bad at remembering thing to begin with.

The real test is if you can remember your public bitcoin address!

freemind1
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 09:48:01 AM

I do not think it happens only to the Americans, the citizens of other countries also suffer.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 01:38:54 PM

This is quite interesting. Even though I'm not going to question their testing methods, I can confirm this as I've been closely observing people and their speech patterns over the years.
What about people who do not care about such information? I only know 2 cellphone numbers, of which 1 is mine. I've never bothered to learn them (even before I had internet access).

However, I'm very good at remembering information that is only 'a click away'.

The real test is if you can remember your public bitcoin address!
I know the first 6 characters:
1Lauda...  Cheesy

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
jayce
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 1501

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 03:51:58 PM

I've got a hard question by my teacher, then the question couldn't be solved with my memory and made me can't slept. And now, if I get anything question, just search the answer with google. Search engines have two effects, one is help you to solving problem, and the other is make your intelligence going down.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 04:01:58 PM

I've got a hard question by my teacher, then the question couldn't be solved with my memory and made me can't slept. And now, if I get anything question, just search the answer with google. Search engines have two effects, one is help you to solving problem, and the other is make your intelligence going down.

It depends on how you use it, if you're just googling the answer then yeah all you're doing is memorising the fact and not actually learning anything. What I find however is that if I actually search for a real explanation on how to answer a maths question for example then that explains everything for me and I can work the rest out myself.

The internet has actually managed to help me fill a lot of gaps in my shitty maths teaching I had when I was younger and it's because people now post proper explanations up of how to calculate stuff and so on. It all depends on how you use the internet, people who just go straight for the answer are being lazy.
jayce
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 04:39:03 PM

It depends on how you use it, if you're just googling the answer then yeah all you're doing is memorising the fact and not actually learning anything. What I find however is that if I actually search for a real explanation on how to answer a maths question for example then that explains everything for me and I can work the rest out myself.

The internet has actually managed to help me fill a lot of gaps in my shitty maths teaching I had when I was younger and it's because people now post proper explanations up of how to calculate stuff and so on. It all depends on how you use the internet, people who just go straight for the answer are being lazy.

Yeah technology developments just make people become very dependent on that, then we don't need to go to library or book store again. But if you are accustomed to using internet to just help you get more explanation for your question, I think you can be very dependent on it sooner or later.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 05:00:11 PM

Yeah technology developments just make people become very dependent on that, then we don't need to go to library or book store again. But if you are accustomed to using internet to just help you get more explanation for your question, I think you can be very dependent on it sooner or later.
Define the difference between being dependent on a library/book store and being dependent on internet (i.e. Google in this case).

Well the majority waste time on cat videos and whatnot. There are a lot of things that I can find on the internet, things that I can't find in books (in my area).
Watching something like this is definitely better than watching cats.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 07:03:00 PM

I've read about that before. I'm afraid this is quite true, but it's not limited to Americans. Being an older guy (not that old) without a smartphone, who enjoys the freedom of not being connected, not being tied to anything, I feel pity towards the younger generation who seems unable to live more than 5 minutes without looking at their phone.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 12:00:01 AM

One (merely) remembers the location of information instead of the information itself.

Not even sure of that. You don't need to actually, as your browser cache and history will remember it for you. And the future is getting worse with sat nav systems and autonomous cars in a few years. The young will have no idea of where they are. I've already seen young people totally unable to read a map.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 12:14:33 AM

One (merely) remembers the location of information instead of the information itself.

Not even sure of that. You don't need to actually, as your browser cache and history will remember it for you. And the future is getting worse with sat nav systems and autonomous cars in a few years. The young will have no idea of where they are. I've already seen young people totally unable to read a map.

Me too. They'd be like "Siri get me to this location." I don't know man. The future generations might be just too spoiled on tech gadgets and what Einstein said is happening.

panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 04:27:12 AM

Why does anybody need to remember a phone number (except emergency contacts) anyway?
jayce
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 04:44:26 AM

Why does anybody need to remember a phone number (except emergency contacts) anyway?

Then don't you remember your best friend phone number since you call or text him/her frequently? I think we don't need memorize emergency contacts in our head, just write in the note book, because it be used only in emergency case.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 08:43:33 AM

Then don't you remember your best friend phone number since you call or text him/her frequently? I think we don't need memorize emergency contacts in our head, just write in the note book, because it be used only in emergency case.
Why would I write something in my notebook, when it is already memorized in my phone? I can't picture a emergency situation where my phone is dead and I carry a notebook with me.
I can't remember his phone number when he's on speed dial.

Me too. They'd be like "Siri get me to this location." I don't know man. The future generations might be just too spoiled on tech gadgets and what Einstein said is happening.
Well I guess this really depends on how you use it. The majority are probably using it in a wrong way, hence the digital amnesia. They probably look up a question quickly, and as soon as they take a glance at the answer they exit. If they were doing more research on the subject, some knowledge would probably get memorized.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
jayce
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 11:29:11 AM

Why would I write something in my notebook, when it is already memorized in my phone? I can't picture a emergency situation where my phone is dead and I carry a notebook with me.

Have you heard about someone lost his phone where it had important notes and contacts there? Then it will be an advantage to write that in note book, and put in safe place.

I can't remember his phone number when he's on speed dial.

Its okay then if you don't remember it, I never make any speed dial in my phone.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 12:30:32 PM

You will never know when it will come in handy. I always remember a friend's number just in case I'd need their help. Emergency contacts are another thing. A friend's number is optional.

GeorgeFeb

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 02:27:12 PM

I've read about that before. I'm afraid this is quite true, but it's not limited to Americans. Being an older guy (not that old) without a smartphone, who enjoys the freedom of not being connected, not being tied to anything, I feel pity towards the younger generation who seems unable to live more than 5 minutes without looking at their phone.

Ha, same here, I don't have any use for smartphone but reading books, people all around going & texting, playing stupid games while walking in Subway - tremendously stupid behavior!

I'd not even need a cell phone if I'd have a sum of money I need, left alone Internet! Cheesy

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 03:15:20 PM

Have you heard about someone lost his phone where it had important notes and contacts there? Then it will be an advantage to write that in note book, and put in safe place.
Have you heard about backup services? All my contacts are stored with Google, pictures with Dropbox (both aren't good with privacy, but that's irrelevant) and Evernote keeps a backup of my notes.
I don't really see how I could lose it, if I correctly use a smartphone. No wonder it is called, smart. The problem is that the phones are starting to become smarter than their users, and I don't know a lot of people who have backups similar to mine (as mentioned). You might be onto something here.

Although, who says that you won't forget where you left that notebook? What's preventing someone from accessing important information?

Its okay then if you don't remember it, I never make any speed dial in my phone.
Yeah, I guess this depends on the individual. I know a few people that know a lot of numbers. I just never bothered trying to remember those, although I know the numbers of my parents. That should be sufficient I assume.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 03:19:03 PM

Have you heard about backup services? All my contacts are stored with Google, pictures with Dropbox (both aren't good with privacy, but that's irrelevant) and Evernote keeps a backup of my notes.
I don't really see how I could lose it, if I correctly use a smartphone. No wonder it is called, smart. The problem is that the phones are starting to become smarter than their users, and I don't know a lot of people who have backups similar to mine (as mentioned). You might be onto something here.

Although, who says that you won't forget where you left that notebook? What's preventing someone from accessing important information?

Yeah, I guess this depends on the individual. I know a few people that know a lot of numbers. I just never bothered trying to remember those, although I know the numbers of my parents. That should be sufficient I assume.

Do you believe your smart phone makes you smarter?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: