Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:24:03 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Study: Most Americans suffer from ‘Digital Amnesia’  (Read 4895 times)
jayce
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 1506

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 03:45:38 PM

Have you heard about someone lost his phone where it had important notes and contacts there? Then it will be an advantage to write that in note book, and put in safe place.
Have you heard about backup services? All my contacts are stored with Google, pictures with Dropbox (both aren't good with privacy, but that's irrelevant) and Evernote keeps a backup of my notes.
I don't really see how I could lose it, if I correctly use a smartphone. No wonder it is called, smart. The problem is that the phones are starting to become smarter than their users, and I don't know a lot of people who have backups similar to mine (as mentioned). You might be onto something here.

Although, who says that you won't forget where you left that notebook? What's preventing someone from accessing important information?

Its okay then if you don't remember it, I never make any speed dial in my phone.
Yeah, I guess this depends on the individual. I know a few people that know a lot of numbers. I just never bothered trying to remember those, although I know the numbers of my parents. That should be sufficient I assume.

Damn, technologies has developed rapidly and I have no idea about that. I guess thats why people nowadays can't be split up with their "smartphone" everywhere and everytime. I'm using my phone just to calling, texting, chatting, browsing, and gaming  Roll Eyes

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 05:24:09 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2015, 05:52:32 PM by LaudaM

Do you believe your smart phone makes you smarter?
I did not state this, nor do I think this. Smartphones do not make people smarter, they're supposed to make our lives easier. However, we might be going off topic at this point.

To shorten it, I guess it just simplifies our lives (it has its disadvantages, I know) and enables us to do a lot of things. Instead of bringing a huge map of everything, a camera, a notebook and such, we just have to bring our smartphone and a spare battery.

Damn, technologies has developed rapidly and I have no idea about that. I guess thats why people nowadays can't be split up with their "smartphone" everywhere and everytime. I'm using my phone just to calling, texting, chatting, browsing, and gaming  Roll Eyes
The majority (at least from what I've seen so far) uses it mainly for Facebook, Instagram, taking selfies like non stop. Not being able to be offline for a while, is a signal that something isn't right with a person. Is it not?

Update:
People are becoming more and more afraid of silence or to hear themselves think. Hence the digital amnesia.
Exactly. I've actually encountered people, who just can't stay off of their phones for too long, even though I requested (it makes it hard to talk, does it not?).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 05:47:50 PM

Do you believe your smart phone makes you smarter?
I did not state this, nor do I think this. Smartphones do not make people smarter, they're supposed to make our lives easier. However, we might be going off topic at this point.

To shorten it, I guess it just simplifies our lives (it has its disadvantages, I know) and enables us to do a lot of things. Instead of bringing a huge map of everything, a camera, a notebook and such, we just have to bring our smartphone and a spare battery.

Damn, technologies has developed rapidly and I have no idea about that. I guess thats why people nowadays can't be split up with their "smartphone" everywhere and everytime. I'm using my phone just to calling, texting, chatting, browsing, and gaming  Roll Eyes
The majority (at least from what I've seen so far) uses it mainly for Facebook, Instagram, taking selfies like non stop. Not being able to be offline for a while, is a signal that something isn't right with a person. Is it not?

People are becoming more and more afraid of silence or to hear themselves think. Hence the digital amnesia.

The outer limits - Stream Of Consciousness (S03E05)

jayce
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 1506

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2015, 05:28:35 AM

I think you are right, when I was having dinner last night with my friends, most of them always looked their phones, and they prefer to reply a chat in their social media accounts than talk with me  Sad  So, are you suffer from Digital Amnesia with your 'smart'phone?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2015, 07:49:32 AM

I think you are right, when I was having dinner last night with my friends, most of them always looked their phones, and they prefer to reply a chat in their social media accounts than talk with me  Sad  So, are you suffer from Digital Amnesia with your 'smart'phone?
They're afraid of being disconnected and there is nothing wrong with not replying when you're busy with something else. I guess many don't understand this. It is usually very boring for me to go with them anywhere.
Well I guess it could be a mild amnesia for me. I guess there isn't really a way to prevent it, however I'm fighting it. As soon as I think about X, and I know that I've looked it up before but I can't remember, I do it again. I look it up again, even though the information isn't needed at that point and I try to remember it.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Mr Tsoutsounopaiktis

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 01:18:52 PM

There is also the "digital tsoutsounopaixia"...
Mehek

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 02:25:51 PM

Quick, what’s your aunt’s cellphone number? Or your best friend’s from college?

Better yet, tell us what you did on Monday? You may have a tough time remembering because the Internet is wrecking your memory. That’s according to a new study from Kaspersky Lab, which finds Americans can’t commit data to memory because the answers are just a click away.

The term, according to the lab, is called “Digital Amnesia” — the experience of forgetting information that you trust a digital device to store and remember for you.

“The results reveal that the ‘Google Effect’ likely extends beyond online facts to include important personal information,” researchers wrote in the report. “Many consumers are happy to forget, or risk forgetting information they can easily find — or find again online.”

For instance, people 45 and old are more likely to get answers from the web, then write the fact down or choose to forget it once they’ve used it, the survey found.

Ninety-one percent of those surveyed said they use the Internet as an online extension of their brain. Forty-four percent said their smartphone serves as their memory; everything they need to remember is right there in their pocket.

“In many societies, having access to the Internet feels as stable as having access to electricity or running water,” says Dr. Kathryn Mills, with the UCL Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience at University College London.

“It would be interesting to explore further whether individuals in places where the Internet is unreliable feel greater need to remember contact details or facts, or have a different perspective on information access.”

http://wtop.com/health/2015/07/study-most-americans-suffer-from-digital-amnesia/

I think the reasons why this happen is that firstly everything is accessible very easily nowadays. People get lazy and they find it much easier to use their smartphones instead of remembering these kind of things. Secondly, it is a fact that our brain slows down when we are indulged in watching tv or using the internet . It is simple. The more you use your brain, the more it's capability to memorize and rationalize and analyze accelerates.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 03:44:25 PM

Quick, what’s your aunt’s cellphone number? Or your best friend’s from college?

Better yet, tell us what you did on Monday? You may have a tough time remembering because the Internet is wrecking your memory. That’s according to a new study from Kaspersky Lab, which finds Americans can’t commit data to memory because the answers are just a click away.

The term, according to the lab, is called “Digital Amnesia” — the experience of forgetting information that you trust a digital device to store and remember for you.

“The results reveal that the ‘Google Effect’ likely extends beyond online facts to include important personal information,” researchers wrote in the report. “Many consumers are happy to forget, or risk forgetting information they can easily find — or find again online.”

For instance, people 45 and old are more likely to get answers from the web, then write the fact down or choose to forget it once they’ve used it, the survey found.

Ninety-one percent of those surveyed said they use the Internet as an online extension of their brain. Forty-four percent said their smartphone serves as their memory; everything they need to remember is right there in their pocket.

“In many societies, having access to the Internet feels as stable as having access to electricity or running water,” says Dr. Kathryn Mills, with the UCL Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience at University College London.

“It would be interesting to explore further whether individuals in places where the Internet is unreliable feel greater need to remember contact details or facts, or have a different perspective on information access.”

http://wtop.com/health/2015/07/study-most-americans-suffer-from-digital-amnesia/

I think the reasons why this happen is that firstly everything is accessible very easily nowadays. People get lazy and they find it much easier to use their smartphones instead of remembering these kind of things. Secondly, it is a fact that our brain slows down when we are indulged in watching tv or using the internet . It is simple. The more you use your brain, the more it's capability to memorize and rationalize and analyze accelerates.

And that is why all my posts here are so critical to the bitcoiners' brain. Free neurons workout...

Wink

Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2015, 09:53:51 AM

I've got a hard question by my teacher, then the question couldn't be solved with my memory and made me can't slept. And now, if I get anything question, just search the answer with google. Search engines have two effects, one is help you to solving problem, and the other is make your intelligence going down.

It depends on how you use it, if you're just googling the answer then yeah all you're doing is memorising the fact and not actually learning anything. What I find however is that if I actually search for a real explanation on how to answer a maths question for example then that explains everything for me and I can work the rest out myself.

The internet has actually managed to help me fill a lot of gaps in my shitty maths teaching I had when I was younger and it's because people now post proper explanations up of how to calculate stuff and so on. It all depends on how you use the internet, people who just go straight for the answer are being lazy.

This.

Also, what happened to the good old days, when you had limited time at a terminal - enough to punch in your program, run it and see the results. Any debugging was done later "off-line" on paper or in your head. Smiley

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Mehek

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 10:17:03 AM

I do not think it happens only to the Americans, the citizens of other countries also suffer.

Yes exactly. Everyone who overuse the technology today. Over working using bright screens and staring at it for a long time. It is the reason why so many people suffer from digital amnesia. Also , people now depend on technology so much that they have developed these kinds of disorders that never existed about five to six decades ago. probably the reason is too much dependence on it.
dollarneed

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 04:31:59 AM

this is a nice aricle i think iam not suffering a digital amnesia because more than year i still remember my own number my mothers number and still recognize a few numbers of my friend i think its depend on you do you want to memorize that number or not
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 02:35:04 PM

this is a nice aricle i think iam not suffering a digital amnesia because more than year i still remember my own number my mothers number and still recognize a few numbers of my friend i think its depend on you do you want to memorize that number or not

It is not about just remembering phone numbers... It is about how the mind is rusting away faster, bit by bit....

dollarneed

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 03:01:11 PM

It is not about just remembering phone numbers... It is about how the mind is rusting away faster, bit by bit....

Oh i see,but you know actually internet has changed my life especially when i've got a something like homework or anything  i could not using my own brain to solved it and than i used google for everything and that habit make me feel lazy to think smart,i want google i want instant just it
Mr Tsoutsounopaiktis

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 03:47:01 PM

The mind is rusting by other things like mercury and aluminium from vaccines, not by internet.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2015, 05:12:25 PM

The mind is rusting by other things like mercury and aluminium from vaccines, not by internet.
Here we go again. Please don't start with the vaccination controversies. People really need to stop the nonsense related to anti-vaccination and they need to stop going off topic. Not getting a vaccine puts other people at risk besides you. Anyhow we should stick to the topic.

Exactly. I've already stated that there are people who know a lot of numbers, and they are (sometimes much smarter) people who can barely remember two. It isn't just about phone numbers, but rather memorization.
It all comes down to how you search, process and store data in your brain.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
catch.me.if.you.can

Activity: 616

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 06:58:02 PM

Memory Improvement – 5 Herbs to Keep Your Mind Sharp
http://treatmentherbs.com/memory-improvement-keep-mind-sharp/
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 07:09:36 PM

Memory Improvement – 5 Herbs to Keep Your Mind Sharp
http://treatmentherbs.com/memory-improvement-keep-mind-sharp/

Hey! That's nice. Is there an app for my iphone..? iHerbs?

Racey
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

Soon, I have to go away.

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 07:38:37 PM

You must have seen these people on your travels they are everywhere, buses, trains , in town shopping some are  just stumbling around looking down into faceache twatter and other social sites, at home they are watching  talk shows that talk about people, they are deemed to be laughed at by the audience, then you have media with stupid articles about movie stars ( Oscars are the worst) self appreciation society, this country that country done this, saying it as though it was true... lies to the public 24/7 and yet  99% believe in all this crap.
People need to learn what is really going on, although I am no conspiracy theorist, I know we are lied to on a daily basis.
After over twenty years of not reading/ watching western media rantings and non investigative journalism, especially by some college grad who thinks they knows it all. (Told what to write) I think I have been awake for quite some time now.

Zombies= people.

And its gone.
misterycoins

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 11:08:04 PM

I don’t blame anyone these days ,You have to choose what you will focus your attention and memory on. dozens of cell phone numbers, passwords for half a dozen computers and dozens of websites.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 03:27:46 PM

Why does anybody need to remember a phone number (except emergency contacts) anyway?

Then don't you remember your best friend phone number since you call or text him/her frequently? I think we don't need memorize emergency contacts in our head, just write in the note book, because it be used only in emergency case.
Before most people were literate, streets and places were described visually, not  numerically.

"Go down until the road forks, by the Boar's Head Inn, turn right and at the bottom of the hill you'll see the Skinned Cat - that's the place to get your hides tanned."

And there were boars heads and maybe, skinned cats outside these places.

Now fast forward to phone numbers.  The smart phone returns the paradigm to it's natural state - click on the picture of your friend, the thing connects to him or her.   The NUMBER is a carry forward of an intermediary technological necessity, not a priori a necessity.

So the argument may be valid, but can't be proved in the context of phone numbers.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: