Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:53:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Nodes and Broadcasting Transactions  (Read 523 times)
bgibso01 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 03:24:57 AM

So I received one of the bitnodes and fired it up on the network.  What a neat little box.  Not being 100% savvy about how the bitcoin network handles traffic, I was surprised to see that my little node has already had some transactions that it relayed first according to blockchain.info.

How did my node receive a transaction first?  I've read about the broadcasting and such, but wondered if it had to do with proximity when finding peers to broadcast to or what?

A non technical response works Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 03:50:08 AM

So I received one of the bitnodes and fired it up on the network.  What a neat little box.  Not being 100% savvy about how the bitcoin network handles traffic, I was surprised to see that my little node has already had some transactions that it relayed first according to blockchain.info.

How did my node receive a transaction first?  I've read about the broadcasting and such, but wondered if it had to do with proximity when finding peers to broadcast to or what?

Blockchain.info only displays who sends them a TX first. This only means that your node was connected to a node by bc.i and to another node that was not connect to bc.i, but had a TX they (bc.i) did not have. Its possible that your node was the nth in a longer line, bc.i however can not detect that.

e.g.: Origin Node -> A -> B -> C -> your node -> bc.i node

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
bgibso01 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 06:09:10 PM

Blockchain.info only displays who sends them a TX first. This only means that your node was connected to a node by bc.i and to another node that was not connect to bc.i, but had a TX they (bc.i) did not have. Its possible that your node was the nth in a longer line, bc.i however can not detect that.

e.g.: Origin Node -> A -> B -> C -> your node -> bc.i node

Thanks for the response. That makes sense.  Right now I've got 48 connections on that little box.  Very neat item.
SISAR

Activity: 651
Merit: 518

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 07:52:07 PM

Node that broadcasted transaction is either not connected to blockchain.info node or your node has much lower ping (latency).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: