Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:56:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Former Silk Road DEA Agent Pleads Guilty to Bitcoin Theft  (Read 604 times)
Coinbuddy (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 02:57:51 PM

Former Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agent Carl Mark Force IV, has admitted to stealing over $700,000 worth of bitcoin while running the Baltimore Silk Road investigation.

Force, the lead undercover agent in communication with Ross Ulbricht – the mastermind behind the online drug marketplace now sentenced to life in prison – admitted using fake online personas to steal bitcoin from both the US government and investigated parties.

Source: http://www.coindesk.com/former-silk-road-dea-agent-pleads-guilty-to-bitcoin-theft/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
twats

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 02:59:41 PM

I hope those bastard cops (yeah I know they're not police, they're fed agents, but they're all the same) get life time prison too.
Also this case shows everyone "Bitcoin is not anonymous".
Ayle56

Activity: 185

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 03:06:24 PM

I hope those bastard cops (yeah I know they're not police, they're fed agents, but they're all the same) get life time prison too.

His sentence will probably be more lenient that Ross's sentence. He's not being prosecuted for facilitating the trading of drugs for a start. He has put a stain on the feds though so it won't be a soft sentence. Nevertheless, he'll probably get a release date, which is more than Ross got.
jeannemadrigal2

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 03:55:45 PM

I don't think so.  Federal cops are not always tied to a specific location.  Most "local" cops will have an interest in the community in which they live.  But like always, one bad egg ruins it for everyone.  But I hope they throw the book at him to make an example.  Somehow I doubt he will be punished as hard as the bad guys he was trying to catch.
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 04:08:27 PM

I don't think so.  Federal cops are not always tied to a specific location.  Most "local" cops will have an interest in the community in which they live.  But like always, one bad egg ruins it for everyone.  But I hope they throw the book at him to make an example.  Somehow I doubt he will be punished as hard as the bad guys he was trying to catch.

most likely he will easy a judge that is not going too hard on him just same strategy they did to ross the other way around, from California all the way to a new york court, now they would find a judge that when is comes to sentencing federal cops goes soft on them.
melody82

Activity: 378
Merit: 257

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 04:18:23 PM

This is the worst kind of abuse by a law enforcement officer.  It is things like this that really make it hard to trust my government.  Why should I follow the rules, pay my taxes, etc, when this kind of crap is commonplace?  It is a game, everyone cheats, and few get caught.
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 04:34:43 PM

The justice system has its ups, down, holes, work arounds, internal corruption even a political agenda with a DA wants to favor other parties, stuff is just crazy. just like all the proof that was denied in that could have helped Ross because of the DA.
anderson00673

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 04:46:10 PM

I hope this dirtbag gets put into the same prison that houses some of the people he busted over the years.  Unbelievable.  And the crazy thing is he got caught, you would think an agent would know how to get away with this stuff, lol.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 05:16:10 PM

The odds and the evidence were against him. It was probably best for him to confess and to plead guilty.

I question myself where are the bad players and the authorities here. Sometimes it seems there were only bad players, even within the authorities...
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 05:50:45 PM

Can't blame him, everyone wants a piece of BTC Smiley
I think it's clear that this guy was aware on BTC and understood it enough to take the risk to try to get away with it, that amount could have been enough for a super retirement, but he should have tried to get the BTC in a legitimate way.
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 06:28:54 PM

I think it's clear that this guy was aware on BTC and understood it enough to take the risk to try to get away with it, that amount could have been enough for a super retirement, but he should have tried to get the BTC in a legitimate way.

No, you can. This is really bad stuff, one of law enforcement do something despicable act.

The question is where the rest of btc now?

~iki
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 06:54:06 PM

No, you can. This is really bad stuff, one of law enforcement do something despicable act.

The question is where the rest of btc now?

~iki

The other part probably was the one sold on the auction.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 07:41:35 PM

Looks like Carl Force was an investor and the compliance officer at CoinMRT.
dKingston

Activity: 482
Merit: 500

LAUNDER BITCOIN: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 07:51:16 PM

this guy should get life in prison just like ulbricht got .. but he's only going be slapped on the wrist, bah

LAUNDER & ANONYMIZE YOUR BITCOIN:
https://www.BitLaunder.com/?aid=41
hayabusa911

Activity: 369

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 12:51:37 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the police but this guy is nothing but a thief. Our buddy Ross was willing to pay to have someone (Two people actually) murdered over money. He had more money than he could ever want and got greedy. He didn't just make 1 or 2 bad decisions... He done fucking goofed.  Embarrassed
PenguinFire

Activity: 154

That Darn Cat

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 12:55:06 AM

How is this guy any worse than any other corrupt official?  I don't understand exactly what sets him apart from hundreds of others.  It is not like he took money from a saint.  lol  There are plenty of corrupt law enforcers that have done much worse things.  I am not saying the guy doesn't deserve a harsh punishment; he does.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 02:46:42 AM

new bitcoin advert

"police learning about the new internet currency, decide they want to risk their career and freedom to grab $700k of it".. proves bitcoin is worth something

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: