Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 07:35:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Saudi Prince Alwaleed pledges $32bn to charity  (Read 933 times)
camelson (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 06:59:02 PM

I think this is one of the biggest charity, given by a single person, Is any one else who game more than this?

Prince Alwaleed bin Talal says his pledge is modelled on The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in the US.

Saudi Arabia's billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal has pledged his entire $32bn fortune to charitable projects over the coming years.
The prince said in a statement that the "philanthropic pledge will help build bridges to foster cultural understanding, develop communities, empower women, enable youth, provide vital disaster relief and create a more tolerant and accepting world".
The donation "will be allocated according to a well-devised plan throughout the coming years", he said, but stressed there was no time limit for the donation to be spent.
Alwaleed said he would head a board of trustees tasked with spending the funds, adding the pledge would still be used after his death "for humanitarian projects and initiatives".
At a press conference, he said his pledge was modelled on The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in the US.

Reed more here: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/07/saudi-prince-alwaleed-pledges-32bn-charity-150701133400792.html
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 07:22:56 PM

Someone should give him the email address for Greece he could save a country Smiley
christycalhoun

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 07:29:14 PM

OMG, I think, he gave his all the earning in this charity. I think this is one of the biggest one. I never heard before that much.

Someone should give him the email address for Greece he could save a country Smiley

What happened in the greece? I dont know about that?

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 02:20:08 AM

Even he won't be able to save the Greeks. The latter need some $360 billion to pay back their debt, while the net worth of the former is estimated at $32 billion. Also, it won't be a nice idea to give these billions to the greedy bankers, when the same amount of money can be used for the alleviation of poverty around the world.
GregH37
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1037

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 10:20:07 AM

Saudi Arabia: Prince Alwaleed bin Talal to give entire $32 billion fortune to charity

Billionaire Saudi Arabian Prince Alwaleed bin Talal has said he will give his $32bn (£20bn) fortune to charity when he dies.

The prince, already known for his ostentatious charitable donations, told reporters on 1 July that he would begin moving the considerable wealth to his Alwaleed Philanthropic Foundation over the coming years.

The $32bn will include Prince Alwaleed's stake in Kingdom Holding, the investment firm he chairs, as well as his assets outside Saudi Arabia.

In a statement read to reporters at a conference in Riyadh, the prince said his pledge "will help build bridges to foster cultural understanding, develop communities, empower women, enable youth, provide vital disaster relief and create a more tolerant and accepting world".

He said the donation "will be allocated according to a well-devised plan throughout the coming years" but added there was no time limit on when the donation should be spent.
“It is a commitment without boundaries. A commitment to all mankind.”
- Prince Alwaleed bin Talal

"It is a commitment without boundaries. A commitment to all mankind," Alwaleed said.

He said that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which has focused on donating money to education and world health initiatives, was his inspiration.

The Saudi prince, nephew to the late king Abdullah, said he would head a board of trustees tasked with spending the money. After he dies, his son will become president of the board of trustees and his daughter the vice president, Arabianbusiness.com reported.

Alwaleed made the statement alongside his two children, Prince Khaled and Princess Reem. He said both were supportive of his decision.

In April Prince Alwaleed promised to give each of the 100 fighter pilots that took part in Riyadh's latest air strikes in Yemen a brand new Bentley. After a backlash on Twitter, in which he holds a $300m stake, the prince withdrew the pledge.

More about Prince Alwaleed bin Talal: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/saudi-arabia-prince-alwaleed-bin-talal-give-entire-32-billion-fortune-charity-1508820
BillyBones

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 07:00:58 PM

Let first, Saudi Prince Alwaleed take care of the poor northern part region of Saudi Arabia and the entire expatriates who is working there. Once their needs have been fulfilled, then it's neighbors, I don't think so it will happen since he will emerge with new theory about his charity, well does he know his date of demise ? What if he live for 100 Years and above Roll Eyes
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 07:51:19 PM

I think this is one of the biggest charity, given by a single person, Is any one else who game more than this?

Prince Alwaleed bin Talal says his pledge is modelled on The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in the US.

Saudi Arabia's billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal has pledged his entire $32bn fortune to charitable projects over the coming years.
The prince said in a statement that the "philanthropic pledge will help build bridges to foster cultural understanding, develop communities, empower women, enable youth, provide vital disaster relief and create a more tolerant and accepting world".
The donation "will be allocated according to a well-devised plan throughout the coming years", he said, but stressed there was no time limit for the donation to be spent.
Alwaleed said he would head a board of trustees tasked with spending the funds, adding the pledge would still be used after his death "for humanitarian projects and initiatives".
At a press conference, he said his pledge was modelled on The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in the US.

Reed more here: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/07/saudi-prince-alwaleed-pledges-32bn-charity-150701133400792.html

He is a good Muslim...

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 11:53:41 PM

Let first, Saudi Prince Alwaleed take care of the poor northern part region of Saudi Arabia and the entire expatriates who is working there. Once their needs have been fulfilled, then it's neighbors, I don't think so it will happen since he will emerge with new theory about his charity, well does he know his date of demise ? What if he live for 100 Years and above Roll Eyes

Leave apart the expatriates. A large part of the native Saudis now live in poverty, as a result of the uncontrolled population explosion which has been ongoing for the last 50 or 60 years. The 2010 Census reported a total of 19,335,377 Saudi nationals, which is a four-fold increase from the figure of 6,218,361 reported in 1974.
jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 12:08:55 AM

OMG, I think, he gave his all the earning in this charity. I think this is one of the biggest one. I never heard before that much.

What happened in the greece? I dont know about that?

You need to pay attention to some world news- Greek citizens are being shut out of their bank accounts and the government is now taking a portion of all deposits in an attempt to lighten the bankruptcy crisis
jayce
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1501

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2015, 08:02:34 AM

In a statement read to reporters at a conference in Riyadh, the prince said his pledge "will help build bridges to foster cultural understanding, develop communities, empower women, enable youth, provide vital disaster relief and create a more tolerant and accepting world".

Well I think women right issue is very sensitive in Saudi Arabia, where their activities are restricted by the government. What will he do to empower women then?

He is a good Muslim...

Never heard you praise someone before  Shocked 

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 08:13:03 AM

Sure but must buy Greeks too. The actual people want 14 or more wages in a year, work only 25 years, have high pensions and other benefits. No money in the world are enough for this.  Wink
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 08:23:02 AM

Sure but must buy Greeks too. The actual people want 14 or more wages in a year, work only 25 years, have high pensions and other benefits. No money in the world are enough for this.  Wink

See... you are comparing the work ethics in Greece with that in Japan and Germany. The work culture in Greece is much more relaxed, unlike that prevalent in either Japan or Germany. If you really want to compare the Greek work culture, then you should compare with that in France or Spain. Countries such as Germany are exceptions.
GregH37
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 10:46:18 AM

He is a good Muslim...

First he is a good human and after that he is a good muslim....Smiley
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 11:02:40 AM

I hope politics will be kept out of the game. If he gives his money to charities which will build mosques all over Europe, he'd better keep it. I'm waiting for him to announce ideas about how the money will be used. I hope he'll want to fight malaria, or educate girls in Africa, but I'm not sure this is what he'll do.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
GiocareHost

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 11:03:37 AM

Bill gates is going to have a good competition  Cheesy
I think $32bn is only 10% of his total assets,right?
GregH37
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 11:29:03 AM

I hope politics will be kept out of the game. If he gives his money to charities which will build mosques all over Europe, he'd better keep it. I'm waiting for him to announce ideas about how the money will be used. I hope he'll want to fight malaria, or educate girls in Africa, but I'm not sure this is what he'll do.

Yes we all hoping that this money is use to overcome poverty, to overcome education problem, to feed poor people..
freemind1
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 12:08:21 PM

I wish it were true. It would make me regain my faith in humans.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 12:38:02 PM

Nope. His total wealth is $32 billion and he is going to donate 100% of it. Such a great human being. I just hope that these funds will be better utilized, to eradicate poverty from the face of the earth. Those Saudi and Qatari billionaires, who are busy supporting and funding the ISIS should learn something from this unselfish move.
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 04:34:21 PM

See... you are comparing the work ethics in Greece with that in Japan and Germany. The work culture in Greece is much more relaxed, unlike that prevalent in either Japan or Germany. If you really want to compare the Greek work culture, then you should compare with that in France or Spain. Countries such as Germany are exceptions.

Nothing to do with any other country. Greeks are very different. The only people that have had tons of money from the others and now vote to not give that money to the owners. They had all they prosperity from that money (without working like the other people) and they again want this prosperity even are not able to produce it.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 06:55:39 AM

Nope. His total wealth is $32 billion and he is going to donate 100% of it. Such a great human being. I just hope that these funds will be better utilized, to eradicate poverty from the face of the earth. Those Saudi and Qatari billionaires, who are busy supporting and funding the ISIS should learn something from this unselfish move.

Well hopefully it doesn't go to feeding Africa to address the food problem like some well intentioned chariest have done in the past
But goes to addressing the core problem infrastructure jobs training and sustainability objectives in farming to promote strong agriculture (non-monsanto) where possible and industry in other locations as well as teach locals how to repair water pumps if I had a nickel for every water well mined that needed to be remined because they never taught the locals how to repair the infrastructure... a lot of nickels would be had.

Seeing how he is from the Middle East a good amount of money into water initiatives in war torn regions like Libya and Syria would go a long way to the redevelopment of the countries in the future as well.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: