Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:24:02 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A remote Bitcoin hacker house?  (Read 1112 times)
Cryptowatch.com (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 07:43:10 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2015, 08:46:11 PM by Cryptowatch.com

While some enjoy the busy cities, others enjoy silence and peace.

For anyone doing technical work, be it coding, translating, writing or similar, peace and quiet is essential.

I came accross this property, which is an old school on Shetland.
http://www.d-s-r.co.uk/property/old-schoolhouse1.htm

Whenever you needed to clear your head, you could go for long trips, no noisy neighbours, railways,
planes or boats, only fresh sea air and big fields.

I was thinking, if there was such a remote Bitcoin HQ, then it would be possible to go there for a longer
or shorter time, and it would really be possible to concentrate 100% on your work, and also to relax
and recharge your 'batteries'.

The temperatures on Shetland range from 5-15 Celcius most of the year, and I would think there's little
or no insects. Not sure if the internet connection would be fast, or even possible, but I think this is
an interesting idea.

Of course there would need to be some usable internet connection. Svalbard could be another alternative (very fast internet..),
but it's much colder there, and not everybody is happy with freezing temperatures.

Going to such a place like the property shown above would essentially free you from all stress factors from city
life.

And it could also be a place to make new friendships with other bitcoiners.

I could imagine it would be a nice place for a startup team to go for lengthy 'deep' coding sessions too. There would simply be no distractions..

Of course the logistics is somewhat more difficult, but with good planning it should be doable, there's a local
shop, and only a 5 minute ferry trip to Lerwick (capital of Shetland Islands).

Also, getting to Shetland might not be very easy/cheap for everyone.

But I find the concept of a bitcoin HQ intriguing, and I'm sure there's plenty of places in the world where something like this could be set up.

I thought I would share this idea with other bitcoiners and see what the responses were.

Edit: Changed the title to avoid further confusion. Original title was "A remote Bitcoin HQ?"
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 07:53:54 PM

I would expect that satellite internet service would work fine. Just to clarify, it's 5-15 Celsius for Shetland Islands, I'm sure...

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 08:03:15 PM

What I would give for a week or two in that place right now....

What about Isle of Man? Also relatively remove, better infrastructure (internet, commercial, transport, airport, ferries) yet still possible to find a place which is far away from the commercial centers on the island.

And importantly, bitcoin friendly last time I checked.
Cryptowatch.com (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 08:05:30 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2015, 08:21:22 PM by Cryptowatch.com

I would expect that satellite internet service would work fine. Just to clarify, it's 5-15 Celsius for Shetland Islands, I'm sure...

Is internet sattelite a good alternative for everyday usage, is not costs quite high, bandwidth low and latency high?

Perhaps some arrangement with getting internet from Lerwick would be possible, I assume they would have reasonable fast
internet there. Perhaps stretching a sea cable? (Would not like to think of the costs involved however..)

What I would give for a week or two in that place right now....

What about Isle of Man? Also relatively remove, better infrastructure (internet, commercial, transport, airport, ferries) yet still possible to find a place which is far away from the commercial centers on the island.

And importantly, bitcoin friendly last time I checked.

I'm aware of Isle of Man (edit: Seems like property prices there are very high compared to Shetland), I've never been there actually. What attracted me to the Shetland property was complete peace and quiet. No noise around. If you do not want to see anyone for 2 weeks, you don't have to, apart from other people in the building of course. I was thinking of a place that would attract more of the silent seeking types in general.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 09:12:58 PM

Eventually one of the Bitcoin whales will launch their own satellites acting as nodes on space, which basically means Bitcoin will be avaialble worldwide as long as you have a decent reciever, so you could live in some far away island and still be able to make transactions. The problem tho would be if the sellers would be able to reach you with your package.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 09:50:19 PM

I'd love such a place... but for myself only Cheesy I don't see that as a retreat for Bitcoiners. It would have to be something like Malla Manor, that castle from rpietila to accommodate everyone.
lucaspm98

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 11:18:39 PM

Why is a "Bitcoin HQ" needed?

Isn't the whole point of bitcoin that it is decentralized with no headquarters that ca n be raided, burned down, hacked, etc.?

Also, who would fund this?
Cryptowatch.com (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2015, 07:50:53 PM

Why is a "Bitcoin HQ" needed?

Isn't the whole point of bitcoin that it is decentralized with no headquarters that ca n be raided, burned down, hacked, etc.?

Also, who would fund this?

You could call it something else if you wanted, Bitcoin Retreat, or any other name. It's not indended to promote centralization.

There are many 'hacker houses' around the world, and this would just be another one.

It could be privately funded or crowdfunded.

Scamalert

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

Captain

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 07:54:37 PM

What exactly do you mean with "bitcoin HQ" are thinking about some kinda bitcoin fueled resort or are we talking about mining? The house and place is nice indeed, but what does it have to do with bitcoins?
Cryptowatch.com (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2015, 08:42:12 PM

What exactly do you mean with "bitcoin HQ" are thinking about some kinda bitcoin fueled resort or are we talking about mining? The house and place is nice indeed, but what does it have to do with bitcoins?

Only the imagination sets the limits, I think I explained the main idea well in the original post.

Mainly it would be a peaceful quiet place were bitcoiners could come for a longer or shorter stay, to work with their interests related to bitcoin/crypto (primarily coding), and to also discuss with likeminded people and posibly form friendships. It could be a place where a startup teams could come for bootstrapping. And of course if the location was suitable, mining could be done. But these days mining needs to be more specialized, so that was not what I had i mind primarily.

Also, it would be a place of serenity, no noise, pollution or stress. You'd simply concentrate on coding, and using nature (go for walks, go along the shoreline) as you sett fit.

The purpose with the thread was to gauge the interest for the concept. It's just at an idea stage.
Scamalert

Captain

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 08:47:02 PM

Only the imagination sets the limits, I think I explained the main idea well in the original post.

Mainly it would be a peaceful quiet place were bitcoiners could come for a longer or shorter stay, to work with their interests related to bitcoin/crypto (primarily coding), and to also discuss with likeminded people and posibly form friendships. It could be a place where a startup teams could come for bootstrapping. And of course if the location was suitable, mining could be done. But these days mining needs to be more specialized, so that was not what I had i mind primarily.

Also, it would be a place of serenity, no noise, pollution or stress. You'd simply concentrate on coding, and using nature (go for walks, go along the shoreline) as you sett fit.

The purpose with the thread was to gauge the interest for the concept. It's just at an idea stage.

I get the Idea now. I like the idea, I would personal not go there to work. But for vacation. It could be nice to have a resort where every thing can be paied with bitcoin. And also, in the winther then should the house be warmed with heat from miners Cheesy
hayabusa911

Activity: 369

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 09:28:59 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2015, 10:17:45 PM by hayabusa911

For this property to mean anything to me they would have to accept Bitcoin. It is a beautiful place but they need to be willing to take BTC or i might as well be on rent.com. Just saying bro!
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 09:50:30 PM

Shetland's a bit of a beast of a place to get to compared to some of the other islands. Flights are big bucks and ferries will take half a day or more from the far north of Scotland.

Orkney is far more accessible and it's more fun overall. The Outer Hebrides too. Plenty of places in the mainland are remote enough as well.
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 10:47:54 PM

Well, that's a remote location for sure. Personally I would prefer a place that has a more rich vegetation, especially some trees.

I think having a Bitcoin HQ is not very compatible with the concept of decentralization that is a core concept of Bitcoin. But that's mostly a naming issue. Call it "Bitcoin retreat facility" and I'm fine with it...

Although one question remains: Who's gonna actually use it? Travel around the world for coding?
melody82

Activity: 378
Merit: 257

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 11:07:32 PM

Ok, after seeing those pictures I strongly suggest you come up with some excuse to move there, it is beautiful.  I fully support your idea of a secret hide out.  Don' t forget the laser wielding minions though, you will need that for the proper atmosphere.
Cryptowatch.com (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2015, 11:28:29 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2015, 12:02:55 AM by Cryptowatch.com

Bitcoiners interested in this subject, might also be interested in forvik.com.

Also: http://sovereignshetland.com/

Forvikcoin: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=763462.0 (Just learned about this, seems like another shitcoin, but an interesting idea nontheless.. : dead project)

At the very least he's actually attempting to make a change. If it will ever go anywhere is another matter, Stuart Hill seems to be quite the character, but I guess not many of us would be willing to sacrifice everything to do what he's doing.

Scamalert

Captain

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 10:21:24 AM

I see the title of the thread is changed. I think the new title is better. "Bitcoin HQ" was kinda confusing.
Of cause you will need big ass fiber cable going to that house, if hackers comes togetting then is bandwith key.
TinEye

Activity: 639

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 10:50:49 AM

something around mountains would be pretty isolated and could do the trick, if you can use remote connection, via wifi maybe with plenty of device to redirect the connection, until they arrive at one big wifi in the city, because satellite connections are very expensive last time i've checked, but what if you stay in your house but in a isolated room? soundproofing walls should be what you are looking for, i was dreaming about building one myself, to remove any pesky noises from the street or anything else

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 12:27:25 PM

What you're talking about was actually done. It's called 20mission: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=82494.0

I've been there and it's an interesting place. I don't know whether or not it's conducive to brainstorming about Bitcoin but they bbq on the roof and get high a lot. That's got to be worth something. lol

BTW: The posters in the thread listed above reads like a laundry list of bitcoins former profiteers, scammers and con men.

thebenjamincode

37iGtdUJc2xXTDkw5TQZJQX1Wb98gSLYVP

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 12:56:14 PM

wow! that place looks so amazing and i think its a very wonderful place to stay in
thank you for the share.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: