Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:23:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Small time miners - What do you do when ASICs hit and you don't upgrade?  (Read 10088 times)
bels (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 10:49:30 AM

Mine through the winter since GPUs will serve a 2nd purpose(space warmers) which is what made it so cool to begin with(gaming). When 2013 begins to warm up, I'll stop. Possibly buy an ASIC if production at that point doesn't require a multiple month waiting period for delivery.

That is something miners are good for.  I have mine in my basement and the excess heat trickles on up and helps heat my house by a degree or two.

Selling computer hardware for BTC.  PM me and let me know what you are looking for.
Satisfied customers: Paraipan,Jack1Rip1BurnIt,psy,mb300sd,TheMan,BTCHero,SAC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
betatest512

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 07:30:41 PM

Well I am not a small time miner.. well with the new diff yeah i guess i am.. hahaha

honestly i haven't upgraded anything yet.. no pre orders in place.. show me the hardware before i lay down the money.

Will i be left behind in mining? Probably.. so will many others.. I will just buy and sell Bitcoin.. i seem to make more that way anyways..

how many bitcoin's do you have in hand to buy ans sell them

and at what rate's you buy and sell them and which exchange you use.
wormbog

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 08:07:03 PM

I sold my extra 5830s off a couple weeks ago. With electricity costs already close to break-even, my switch to a metered 4G connection for home broadband cinched it - mining uses too much precious bandwidth.

Once ASICs hit, I'll calculate how long it will take for a jalapeno to pay itself off, then order or not based on that number.

Bigger picture I think the arrival of ASICs will be like the Industrial Revolution (in the US) impacted farmers - lots of small farms closed down or were consolidated into bigger, more efficient farming corporations. There were (and are) still plenty of small farms around, but the majority were replaced by larger, for-profit businesses. Bitcoin mining will go the same way. Mining farms will invest and buy tons of ASICs, some enthusiasts will run a few jalapenos for old time's sake, but most will sell their GPUs and (hopefully) start using their coins to buy and sell things.
mrich8

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 10:25:53 PM

I'm not sure what I'll do. My cards are paid for and my electricity is cheap ($0.088 per kWh) and with current prices I am profiting. I am in Texas and would run electric heat anyway come winter, so I may keep the miners on in various rooms of my apartment to provide heat as long as I still relatively break even.

No matter what, I need to keep one PC on to run the Bitcoin client, so if it comes down to that, I'll liquidate most of the hardware and see how many cheap ASICs I can afford. They have to be shipping though, no wait list BS.
Ascholten

Activity: 155

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 10:42:18 PM

Don't forget though that soon after ASIC's hit, if it hasn't already, the bitcoin value is going to halve.  Your profits are now cut in half.   Now factor that into your cost of electricity and besides those who can
use their computers for cheap space heaters in the winter, I see many folks getting out because it's more expensive to mine than it's worth.

Aaron

Bit Visitor      You view the page / ads and get paid. 
Coin Tube    You watch videos and get paid.
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 11:06:36 PM

Don't forget though that soon after ASIC's hit, if it hasn't already, the bitcoin value is going to halve.  Your profits are now cut in half.   Now factor that into your cost of electricity and besides those who can
use their computers for cheap space heaters in the winter, I see many folks getting out because it's more expensive to mine than it's worth.

Aaron

You are correct....assuming the market value of a single bitcoin doesn't increase dramatically.

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
FrogBBQ

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 11:52:48 PM

Bigger picture I think the arrival of ASICs will be like the Industrial Revolution (in the US) impacted farmers - lots of small farms closed down or were consolidated into bigger, more efficient farming corporations. There were (and are) still plenty of small farms around, but the majority were replaced by larger, for-profit businesses. Bitcoin mining will go the same way. Mining farms will invest and buy tons of ASICs, some enthusiasts will run a few jalapenos for old time's sake, but most will sell their GPUs and (hopefully) start using their coins to buy and sell things.

This argument makes no sense really since it does not take into account the increase in difficulty that will result from a significant raise in overall TH/s that ASIC rigs will produce.

Industrial revolution allowed more land to be farmed but it did not make it harder to get the same yield, in fact it was the opposite.

Bitcoin mining is a totally different ball game altogether. With the ability to have for less than $10K 270 to 420GH/s of power and very limited electricity consumption, GPU mining will quickly become obsolete (read not profitable). Unlike farming, there is no gain in small MH/s operation (such as organic farming for example). ASIC mining will just become the new norm since anything else will be not profitable.

That said, this will not happen overnight but I would think over the next 2 to 6 months. We shall see.
meebs

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 01:58:47 PM

This argument makes no sense really since it does not take into account the increase in difficulty that will result from a significant raise in overall TH/s that ASIC rigs will produce.

Industrial revolution allowed more land to be farmed but it did not make it harder to get the same yield, in fact it was the opposite.

Bitcoin mining is a totally different ball game altogether. With the ability to have for less than $10K 270 to 420GH/s of power and very limited electricity consumption, GPU mining will quickly become obsolete (read not profitable). Unlike farming, there is no gain in small MH/s operation (such as organic farming for example). ASIC mining will just become the new norm since anything else will be not profitable.

That said, this will not happen overnight but I would think over the next 2 to 6 months. We shall see.

quick.. somebody put out a youtube video saying that asic mined coins are tortured coins of low quality! buy organic GPU mined coins :-P

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

bels (OP)

Activity: 109

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 02:07:45 PM

ROFL.  With a plan like that we should be able to charge at least 2x more for GPU coins.

Selling computer hardware for BTC.  PM me and let me know what you are looking for.
Satisfied customers: Paraipan,Jack1Rip1BurnIt,psy,mb300sd,TheMan,BTCHero,SAC
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 11:46:35 PM

As a bookend to this thread, further discussion on the topic here:

What will happen to all the "traditional" mines once the new ASIC based miners
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=114585.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Fred26

Activity: 43

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 12:24:51 AM

I will buy old gpu's, and use them to heat my house =D
It's cold and rainy where I live, and heating is useful everywhere!
I figure 10 kwh through video cards is better returns than 10 kwh through heaters =/
Odi

Activity: 73

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 07:05:53 AM

^^^^^^^ Was never a math major  Cool

I still won't just quit.

Or he could just not care about the small loss in electric and cooling costs

(like if I never receive my bASIC pre-order, I would still run my 400MH/s: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=114585.msg1289314#msg1289314 )

For some, it is only a hobby, not a money maker.  Similar to why people run distributed.net, SETI@Home, or BOINC

Bitcoin is like a variation of Schrödinger's Cat. Everything about it is both scam and fully legit at the same time until you open the box. - ElectricMucus
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 08:01:51 AM

Are you going to switch to LTC, PPCoin, etc... or just cash out your hardware by selling on ebay or similar?

Non of the above.  I'll solo mine full time as soon as it isn't profitable to pool mine anymore.
Sam
why solo mine? just join p2pool Smiley

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
Odi

Activity: 73

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 09:27:03 PM

why solo mine? just join p2pool Smiley

p2pool is only a way to make sure you get more regular payouts than solo mining.  If you don't care about the payouts and are just mining for fun, then why load the network with more transactions?

People are already complaining that the blockchain is big and hard to download, p2pool is accelerating that because of all the small transactions per block found

Bitcoin is like a variation of Schrödinger's Cat. Everything about it is both scam and fully legit at the same time until you open the box. - ElectricMucus
SaintDevil

Activity: 126

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 09:38:03 PM

I so love my computers running during this cold time, so nice and toasty (outside 42F, inside 75F) that I do not eager much to turn them off. I guess if you live in a house that would be a different story.

When  my asic arrives, I may just switch to litecoin mining, already tried figured out how it works so the process will be easy. Maybe consider gaming on them too, but haven't tested 2 5970's against gtx570.

Join pyraming and let someone else host the equipment http://pyramining.com/referral/934khztg6
Only if it's legal where you are: Legal Bud
PM if you need to translate to Russian or the other way around.
Meatball

Activity: 378

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 12:22:52 AM

I figure 10 kwh through video cards is better returns than 10 kwh through heaters =/

Ah, yes and no. Smiley  Heaters will probably give you more efficient conversion of power to heat compared to the cards, but it might be close. Smiley
Ascholten

Activity: 155

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 01:31:28 AM

That's true meatball but a video card gives you a rebate Cheesy

Aaron

Bit Visitor      You view the page / ads and get paid. 
Coin Tube    You watch videos and get paid.
bitvientiane

Activity: 44

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 01:45:05 AM

Ah, yes and no. Smiley  Heaters will probably give you more efficient conversion of power to heat compared to the cards, but it might be close. Smiley

For converting electrical energy to heat, almost any device is effective because it's basically the "waste" that's heat. Gas -> heat is still more cost-effective though.
aqrulesms

Activity: 373

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 04:10:44 AM

For converting electrical energy to heat, almost any device is effective because it's basically the "waste" that's heat. Gas -> heat is still more cost-effective though.

It is more cost effective to use GPUs as a heat source if your house does not have gas infrastructure.  A 10kW electric furnace produces the same amount of heat equivalent to 10 kW of GPUs. 

You can just pipe all the heat produced into the fan that can distribute heat to the vents of your house.

██ ██    ██ ██    ▀ ██ ██ ██ ██  ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██    ██ ██ ██      ██    ██ ██ ██
   ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄
   ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██ ██ ██      ██ ██ ██ ██ ██    ██  
▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
     ▀ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
    ██  ▄  ▄▄  ▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄  ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
        ▄▄ ▀▀ ▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
        ▀▀  ▀ ▀▀ ██ ██ ██ ▀▀  ▀  ██ ██
         ██ ██ ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ██ ██ ▄ ▄▄
           ▄▄  ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀      ▄▄ ▀▀
           ▀▀    ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ▀▀
UCHAIN  ▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
.████████████████████████.
██████████████████████████
███▄     ███████     ▄████
█████     █████     ██████
█████ ▌    ███▌     ██████
█████ █     █▌ ▐    ██████
█████ ██      ▐█    ██████
█████ ███    ▐██    ██████
████▀ ▀███   ███    ██████
██▀     ▀██ ██▀      ▀████
██████████████▀     ▀█████
███ ▀████████▌        ▄███
███    ▀████▀        ▄████
███                 ▐█████
████                ▐█████
██████              ██████
███████           ▄███████
██████▀         ▄█████████
████▄▄      ▄▄████████████
.███████████████████████.
█████████████████████████
███████████████████▀▀▀███
█████████████▀▀▀ ▄    ███
████████▀▀     ▄█▀   ▐███
████▀▀       ▄█▀     ████
█▀         ▄██      ▐████
████▄▄▄  ▄██▀       █████
███████████        ▐█████
██████████         ██████
██████████ ▄██▄▄  ▐██████
█████████████████████████
.███████████████████████.
quasarbtc

Activity: 70

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 05:28:29 AM

I plan on picking up a few 7970s for dirt cheap either here or on ebay when the market gets flooded with people getting out of GPU mining. Maybe a 2nd for crossfire. Maybe throw one in my brother's computer to replace his 7770. Who knows?!
+1
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: