Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:45:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What will happen to all the "traditional" mines once the new ASIC based miners  (Read 6609 times)
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 01:40:07 AM

The big change I see coming is newer miners wont be able to jump in and try on existing hardware, mining has brought a lot of people to Bitcoin, soon they will need to buy dedicated hardware to participate.

You bring up a very good point. Given that most tech savvy individuals (really anyone with a computer) have some sort of graphics card in their computer, it was super easy to get into bitcoin and mining. Most participants I know in my [real] life tried out mining just for fun with the hardware they had. At the rate we're going, those same individuals probably wouldn't find the same interest in bitcoin once they learn that serious miners have to dedicate their money to certain hardware.

It's one thing to invest in a high end graphics card that can serve a purpose besides mining, it's a whole other game when the hardware can only do 1 thing.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 02:03:37 AM

They're not for serious miners, but I see Jalapenos as filling that role. Something small that people can get started on.

Still not the same as "Hey, let me turn on my GPU"...

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 02:47:31 AM

The big change I see coming is newer miners wont be able to jump in and try on existing hardware, mining has brought a lot of people to Bitcoin, soon they will need to buy dedicated hardware to participate.

You bring up a very good point. Given that most tech savvy individuals (really anyone with a computer) have some sort of graphics card in their computer, it was super easy to get into bitcoin and mining. Most participants I know in my [real] life tried out mining just for fun with the hardware they had. At the rate we're going, those same individuals probably wouldn't find the same interest in bitcoin once they learn that serious miners have to dedicate their money to certain hardware.

It's one thing to invest in a high end graphics card that can serve a purpose besides mining, it's a whole other game when the hardware can only do 1 thing.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think that you drew the correct assumption. As a gamer, if I'm willing to drop 400-600 bucks on a new video card every time one releases, I shouldn't have any problem buying hardware in that same price range if I want to mine.... I could still see some fractional generation of btc as from a video card to 'test it out' enough to decide to buy hardware or not. At some point it becomes a way to earn vs a hobby.

And I'd rather spend on a product that will let me game while mining... Instead of having to choose between income and gaming time.

Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 06:55:52 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2012, 09:16:51 AM by Transisto

Take no offense but I think the community will improve with less interest from gamers.

... As a gamer, if I'm willing to drop 400-600 bucks on a new video card every time one releases, I shouldn't have any problem buying hardware in that same price range if I want to mine.... I could still see some fractional generation of btc as from a video card to 'test it out' enough to decide to buy hardware or not. At some point it becomes a way to earn vs a hobby.

And I'd rather spend on a product that will let me game while mining... Instead of having to choose between income and gaming time.
You will be mining BTCs on a GPU the way you would now with CPUs.  -Completely irrelevant amounts.
RaTTuS

Activity: 792

Bite me

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 09:39:42 AM

in the old days it was easy to get into bitcoins
download the client and run it on your cpu's
then came gpu mining
a bit harder download a miner , find a pool , and join and run it ..., don't bother with cpu mining
next year sometime gpu mining will be out..
it will be hard for people to get into mining
though more people will want to buy coins, the exchanges will become even bigger ,
mining will be more centralised.

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 02:17:50 PM

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think that you drew the correct assumption. As a gamer, if I'm willing to drop 400-600 bucks on a new video card every time one releases, I shouldn't have any problem buying hardware in that same price range if I want to mine.... I could still see some fractional generation of btc as from a video card to 'test it out' enough to decide to buy hardware or not. At some point it becomes a way to earn vs a hobby.

Right, but you're a dedicated miner with disposable income (or at least this is my assumption). What I'm saying is that the bar to entry has been raised for the average joe-shmoe, which makes it that much more likely they won't develop the same interest in bitcoin mining as me or you.

HDSolar

Activity: 386

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 02:30:37 PM

My thoughts on this are that with Bitcoin you have a legacy or stable example of crypto currency but as others come about those will offer options for different kinds of equipment to operate that currency.  I almost see this as Bitcoin being the gold standard while others become Siliver, Coper and other precious metals as an example of what could happen in the near future.  As specialized equipment and or code develops over time others will establish options to utilize existing tools to develop less developed projects.  Actually I think this is a great time for all of us because we are getting in and establishing what could be a major effort my only question is what will it turn into as we go.  Now this is all just a guess and by no means am I saying that bitcoin is the gold standard that it will be that way but for now that is how it looks. 
My two cents 

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 02:42:53 PM

Today marks the day I switch to litecoin mining, as one the diff change in 10hr for btc I'll be making less mining BTC. Sad  Come join me at http://ltc.kattare.com , just set cgminer --scrypt -g 1 --shaders [number for your card] and then raise your memory speed

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
vitruvio

Activity: 850
Merit: 331

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 02:53:21 PM

You did your calculations, I guess. Were you aware that a GPU mining LTC spends more energy that mining BTC?

Regards
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 03:02:40 PM

You did your calculations, I guess. Were you aware that a GPU mining LTC spends more energy that mining BTC?

Regards

yeah, but even with the extra 70w i'll be making more with the diff increase.  bitcoin's diff is rising way faster than its price.  not only this, but ltc in going up in value way faster than btc.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 07:48:40 PM

Right, but you're a dedicated miner with disposable income (or at least this is my assumption). What I'm saying is that the bar to entry has been raised for the average joe-shmoe, which makes it that much more likely they won't develop the same interest in bitcoin mining as me or you.

Granted - but I think the trade off there is we'll start to see new investors backing bitcoin based businesses... due the increased hash power and much greater stability in the market side. I'm expecting the transactions per block capacity of the network to increase quickly once asics are in the wild... and that should start opening doors to let bitcoin compete with existing payment processing networks (bankwires,  western union, etc).

It should start an upward spiral... the faster the network, the better chance of getting outside money to build a POS system or some service leveraged through existing market penetration --- which would lead to more transaction fees being collected which would help offset the increase in network hash rate (from a mining perspective) and on and on... eventually making mining profitable for the transaction fees, nevermind the block reward.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 11:45:37 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2012, 05:49:59 PM by Stephen Gornick

What will happen to all the "traditional" mines once the new ASIC based miners hit the market?

Those with NVidia hardware might want to look at CoinLab's program:

Protect your future GPU mining earnings with CoinLab's 95-97% PPS Pool
  - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99643.0

There may be other computational work developments as well.  For example:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=119611.0
 - http://www.HashBounty.net
 - https://vanitypool.appspot.com/faq

[Edited:  Added Vanitypool mining.]

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Odi

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 07:02:00 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2012, 07:27:09 AM by Odi

I was late to the GPU game (found out about BTC in July 2011 and didn't get any hardware worth using until August 2011).  I mined in a pool until I made back my $200 investment in 2x5770's (but I held the BTC instead of selling them), then switched to solo mining with 400MH/s when the pool I was in was eventually shut down because the owner didn't have time to maintain it.  The heat and energy cost was minor (it's just 2 GPUs and I leave my computer on anyway), so I didn't mind paying an extra monthly expense knowing that I could possibly never find a block.

I was lucky and found 2 blocks solo mining in 10 months (the best way is to forget it is in the background...I didn't even know I had found the second block in July until last week when I needed to reboot my computer).  So I used those two lucky blocks to pre-order a bASIC, but if it never shows up, I will probably point that measly 400MH/s to solo mining anyway even if other ASICs deliver.

Bitcoin is like a variation of Schrödinger's Cat. Everything about it is both scam and fully legit at the same time until you open the box. - ElectricMucus
abbeytim

Activity: 438

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 09:54:48 AM

a bunch will switch to ltc (litecoin) mining
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 04:04:46 PM

Every time I see that assertion I think of this:

With Bitcoin about $80K USD worth of bitcoins are distributed to the hashing provided by miners.   With Litecoin that is about $2K USD worth of LTC issuance.

Since each addtional GPU becomes essentially another mouth to feed it lowers the revenue for the other miners.  The reason the GPUs will be arriving is because they could no longer mine bitcoin profitably.  They won't stick with mining LTC unless it too can be done so profitably.

i.e., it soon will be time to power down your GPU rigs.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 04:52:35 PM

Every time I see that assertion I think of this:

With Bitcoin about $80K USD worth of bitcoins are distributed to the hashing provided by miners.   With Litecoin that is about $2K USD worth of LTC issuance.

Since each addtional GPU becomes essentially another mouth to feed it lowers the revenue for the other miners.  The reason the GPUs will be arriving is because they could no longer mine bitcoin profitably.  They won't stick with mining LTC unless it too can be done so profitably.

i.e., it soon will be time to power down your GPU rigs.

I think most people who are going to jump to LTC will do so hoping the price will increase. But then I wonder, if they're expecting the price to increase just to the point it's profitable, why is the price not going up today, when you can buy them for cheap? My only conclusion: nobody cares.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 06:57:22 PM

I think most people who are going to jump to LTC will do so hoping the price will increase. But then I wonder, if they're expecting the price to increase just to the point it's profitable, why is the price not going up today, when you can buy them for cheap? My only conclusion: nobody cares.

Haha you're probably quite right on this one. I started mining litecoins a few weeks ago, but I don't really see the point. If anything, the price of LTC/BTC is going down.

tonto

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 04:48:18 AM

Many people claim to have free electricity, or is a gamer so won't stop his GPU.

Regards

This.  I've always kept my machine on even before discovering bitcoins.  I typically ran various distributed networking projects such as folding@home, distributed.net, etc.  Plus I'm a pretty avid gamer and will always have top-of-the-line (or a few months old) vid cards and might as well have them contribute to mining.  I may stop them once they become the equivalent of crappier CPUs (that is, only contributing like .5% or worse of my total hashing power).  But I'll only do that to quiet down my man-cave and make my place of Zen again Smiley

Or if I can figure out how to use the wasted heat from the cards to heat my fish tank, I'll keep 'em going and turn off my tank heaters (since my PC is on a UPS and my fish tank heaters aren't) Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: