Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:28:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: questions from a beginner  (Read 1472 times)
n00k!e (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 03:23:56 PM

So I'm new. Hello everyone.
I'm really interested in the idea of bitcoins and i have some questions:

Lets say I want to use it as a sort of investment. I buy some bitcoins, wait a couple of days and resell them for a better price i bought them, because exchange course is constantly rising. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Thats my idea how to use bitcoins. I understand it as some sort of stock exchange activity - just without stocks. When I look at the exchange rates, which are constantly rising, it is quite profitable. If I had done the upper procedure one month ago (with euro because im german) i could have gained about 60% profit.

It all sounds too easy.
a) What's the catch?
b) What is affecting the exchange rates?
c) Am I misunderstanding something essential?

I have a couple more questions, but thats enough for now.
Please no discussions whether my plans are greedy / good / honorable or not.

Thanks

-n00k!e

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 03:38:42 PM

Price is driven by the supply and demand. You know what the supply is so it all comes down to the demand. No one is promising you rising prices all the time as they haven't been in the past. People sell and people buy when people buy and people sell. You are not missing anything except maybe that in order to make a profit you have to have the right timing on when you buy and when you sell and that it's not as easy as you might think.

I don't know if this made any sense but I hope I helped.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2011, 03:41:52 PM

Hi n00k!e, welcome to Bitcoin.

a) The main catch is that there's no guarantee the exchange rate will indeed rise. There could very well be a bubble about to burst any moment. Most people here expect rates to rise, though.
b) The rates people are willing to pay. If you are willing to pay $9.5/BTC and nobody else is currently, you will raise the exchange rate (of course, you'll have to make a large purchase for you personally to affect it significantly).
c) You might be misunderstanding that speculating is not what Bitcoin is about. Sure, you can do that, and you may make a profit. But Bitcoin aspires to be a medium of exchange to buy goods and services which is superior to currently existing currencies and wealth store/transfer services.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
n00k!e (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 03:52:21 PM

Thanks hazek and Rosenfeld that helped me alot. Further oppinions are welcome.

Nice forum by the way  Smiley

-n00k!e
silversurfer

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 04:08:18 PM

I'm not a professional trader.  But I believe most successful professional traders have well-defined systems/rules that guide their trading.  Find a system that works for you and stick to it.  Your emotions will play games with you, and try to make you deviate from your system.  This thread reminded me of the book "Market Wizards" - gonna go see if I can find it in my boxes of books.  Good luck.

That which is falling should also be pushed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: