Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:50:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It's not only Greece  (Read 1451 times)
pliv84 (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 01:39:20 PM

Looking at Google Trends - you can see that there has been a spike in Bitcoin search traffic coming from Greece.

But it's not the only place. Both Argentina and Venezuela (among others) have seen a spike over the past month or two as well. I wonder why...

https://bitcointalk.org/Users/PHL/Desktop/Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 9.36.19 AM.png
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Silly Money

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 01:41:29 PM

It will have a knock on effect and people will be interested in alternative ways to store their wealth. These sorts of crises in Greece etc wont be isolated events and more of them will happen over time. I think there'll be another  major worldwide crisis within the next ten years as well. Maybe bitcoin could take a foothold if that did happen.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 01:44:15 PM

i can not see your image for comment, but everytime the fiat suffers, bitcoin becomes stronger, probably people search for a refuge in something else, and bitcoin is the easy refuge to get in
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 01:48:07 PM

i can not see your image for comment, but everytime the fiat suffers, bitcoin becomes stronger, probably people search for a refuge in something else, and bitcoin is the easy refuge to get in
Bitcoin is digital gold and has a lot of potential! It will replace gold as world reserve currency!
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 02:32:02 PM

I guess all the Greek stuff has woken people up a little who were previously asleep.

Argentina and Venezuela both have horrendously restrictive rules in place about moving money abroad and have had for a long time. Not only are you told how much you can spend, but you're also saddled with an 'official' exchange rate that bears no reflection on reality.

Check this - https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3buaay/grecian_here_some_thoughts_you_could_give_me_on/cspqz0e

GiocareHost

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 02:52:48 PM

Looking at Google Trends - you can see that there has been a spike in Bitcoin search traffic coming from Greece.

But it's not the only place. Both Argentina and Venezuela (among others) have seen a spike over the past month or two as well. I wonder why...

Right now,Greece is in a big crisis.All the banks are closed in Athens.
So its pretty much difficult to get fiat in Greece right now.
Bitcoins are pretty much secure alternative to fiat.I think they are planning to change there currency to Bitcoins(just kidding  Cheesy) .
P.S can you please give the image link.Its not visible here.
Mauro Gallinucci Neto

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 03:00:52 PM

I'm Brasilian, but I'm living in Greece now.  I can see the problemes here all the time.

I like de Trestor's idea, I think that gonna be a good solution.

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/greece-investors-cash-amidst-capital-122300239.html
pliv84 (OP)

Activity: 30

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 03:12:40 PM

Sorry - I was having trouble pasting the image. Here's a link instead:

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=bitcoin&geo=AR%2C%20VE%2C%20GR&cmpt=geo&tz=Etc%2FGMT%2B4

Shows search interest for Bitcoin over time, from Argentina, Venezuela, and Greece.
CoinInspector

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 03:28:50 PM

I'm Brasilian, but I'm living in Greece now.  I can see the problemes here all the time.

I like de Trestor's idea, I think that gonna be a good solution.

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/greece-investors-cash-amidst-capital-122300239.html
It will have a knock on effect and people will be interested in alternative ways to store their wealth. These sorts of crises in Greece etc wont be isolated events and more of them will happen over time. I think there'll be another  major worldwide crisis within the next ten years as well. Maybe bitcoin could take a foothold if that did happen.

I completely agree with you about the importance of alternative stores of wealth in the future. With more countries defaulting in debt and financial institutions faltering, I'd imagine that other digital currencies (altcoins, perhaps?) may thrive as well. In today's financial ecosystem, I truly believe society is beginning to drift away from the traditional notion that banks are the only way to go. Actually, Trestor Foundation had recently caught my attention in the news. It seems that they are starting what appears to be a financial transaction revolution by implementing their digital currency into everyday use in countries like Cameroon and Greece. I'm interested to see how they progress, because what they're doing could really change the way we look at global transactions.

Here are the articles if anyone's intrigued:

http://www.financemagnates.com/cryptocurrency/news/trestor-reports-successful-pilot-of-digital-currency-in-cameroon/
http://seekingalpha.com/pr/13993045-greece-investors-cash-in-amidst-capital-controls
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 03:42:02 PM

Not suprise there. Argentina and Venezuela with some others countries of South America have very unstable economy plagued by huge inflation, volatile national currency, low GDP and restricted laws for citizens who want to invest money abroad. I think people are starting to notice that Bitcoin could be a help to overcome all these problems.
stallion

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 03:46:20 PM

The Greece default story has been widely spread and understood globally and along with those stories, the tales of bitcoin were also supposed to be talked about, by a lot of people about how 'it could' save Greece from its eurozone tragedy. Sadly, nobody can save Greece. Regardless of that, the media talked about bitcoin and it got attention globally, on an appropriate scale.

CoinInspector

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 03:56:21 PM

The Greece default story has been widely spread and understood globally and along with those stories, the tales of bitcoin were also supposed to be talked about, by a lot of people about how 'it could' save Greece from its eurozone tragedy. Sadly, nobody can save Greece. Regardless of that, the media talked about bitcoin and it got attention globally, on an appropriate scale.

Yeah, it does indeed look quite bleak for Greece. If anything, the whole spike in interest regarding digital currencies is a look into what lies ahead in the future. Bitcoin may not be able to save Greece, but it could serve as damage control in dampening the effects of Greece's current financial troubles.
Miracal

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 05:20:25 PM

Yeah, it does indeed look quite bleak for Greece. If anything, the whole spike in interest regarding digital currencies is a look into what lies ahead in the future. Bitcoin may not be able to save Greece, but it could serve as damage control in dampening the effects of Greece's current financial troubles.

Yes, Bitcoin can be used as a band aid and shield against the collateral damage. However, making it the national currency will certainly screw things up for them because ts price value will multiply so much and that is exactly the fucking reason why euro failed for Greece, Greece can't afford that fancy shit man...
greBit

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 05:33:39 PM

Yes, Bitcoin can be used as a band aid and shield against the collateral damage. However, making it the national currency will certainly screw things up for them because ts price value will multiply so much and that is exactly the fucking reason why euro failed for Greece, Greece can't afford that fancy shit man...

The truth is, there’s an old-fashioned bank at the heart of nearly every financial startup meant to put the old guard out of business.Take online peer-to-peer lenders Lending Club and Prosper. neither of those companies actually holds loans on their balance sheets  Huh FUCKING BANKSTERS  Sad
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 06:06:50 PM

Leave Argentina, Portugal and Venezuela. In my opinion, Japan is going to be the next one. Right now, almost 60% of the government revenues are going to pay the interests on Japanese government bonds. The Japanese debt is around 220% of the GDP right now. Not even the United States is having this sort of debt to GDP ratio.
BillyBones

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 07:10:17 PM

One by one we are counting country by country for the debt crisis, if these situation get worse then finally it would be amaze to watch that which are the countries will be considered as debt-free states and stay at the top in terms of economy.
needFREElunch

Activity: 196

Hi

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 06:21:39 AM

Word! Well this problems in Greece have awakened other countries. We all know that economy is very fragile and we can expect something bad in the next 5-10 years and bitcoin seems to be a great and convenient solution to the upcoming problems. It's virtual gold afterall and has a bright future. I can't think of reasons why one wouldn't seek refuge in it..

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 07:28:36 AM

One by one we are counting country by country for the debt crisis, if these situation get worse then finally it would be amaze to watch that which are the countries will be considered as debt-free states and stay at the top in terms of economy.

There are dozens of "debt-free" nations in the world. Examples are oil-rich countries such as Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Brunei, and the United Arab Emirates. Saudi Arabia is having a small net debt, but they hold almost 100 times of that value in foreign treasury bonds (especially US treasury bonds). So we can say that these countries are debt-free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_public_debt
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 07:42:04 AM

Word! Well this problems in Greece have awakened other countries. We all know that economy is very fragile and we can expect something bad in the next 5-10 years and bitcoin seems to be a great and convenient solution to the upcoming problems. It's virtual gold afterall and has a bright future. I can't think of reasons why one wouldn't seek refuge in it..

yeah man, I would agree on that. The Greece crisis has definitely brought attention to other countries too lol. In the coming years, we should help expand the bitcoin currency not only for our gains but for the betterment of all these nations because they deserve a better currency, not something which is controlled by a higher authority spying on us and looting us. The power should vest in the people Smiley
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 08:03:46 AM

Not only Greece is near a complete default. Also Puerto Rico and Ukraine are almost insolvent. i hope that especially from the Ukraine will come more buying power for Bitcoin soon.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: