Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:55:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning Do Not Use GreenAddress.it  (Read 2006 times)
hamiltino (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 01:43:56 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2015, 08:47:35 PM by hamiltino

Currently have a substantial amount of funds stuck on greenaddress due to a major bug in the greenaddress web service.

When logging in i get prompted with this message, clicking either option recursively gives me the same message or freezes the web page. I have tried disabling cookes, changing browsers, changing computers to no avail. Also installed the app on my ipod touch and got the same problems

WARNING!!! DO NOT TRUST THIS WEB SERVICE WITH YOUR COINS.

I have contacted support but still no answer after 24 hours, will be sending multiple messages to support until i get a response. Will be boycotting in the meantime as i don't want anyone to be in this position, Learn from me and stay away from greenaddress until at least they have fixed this bug.

UPDATE:
I can now login again however they have not fixed the bug so it still could affect you:

The issue should be fixed now. We apologize for the inconvenience.
The cause of the issue is a bug that has affected only a couple of people so far and unfortunately you were one of them.

We'll be looking to fix the bug as soon as possible, please let us know if it happens again (it's quite random so is very hard to reproduce but it may happen).

stacking coin
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 01:48:43 PM

WARNING!!! DO NOT TRUST THIS ANY WEB SERVICE WITH YOUR COINS.

I just did small correction of your text:) I should be gold rule #1 for every crypto user. anyway, how many BTC you had in..?
hamiltino (OP)

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 01:49:57 PM

I just did small correction of your text:) I should be gold rule #1 for every crypto user. anyway, how many BTC you had in..?

about 10btc

stacking coin
Xialla
Legendary

/dev/null

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 01:52:38 PM

about 10btc

holy moly, is it lot of money, at least for me..hope that you can afford to loose them. I lost dozens of coins on web sites like mtgox, so I know how you feel. good luck anyway..
ausbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 01:53:01 PM

I have had problems with logging into greenaddress wallet for weeks now, i dont have anymore than a couple of satoshis in there so not worried but it was a good wallet when i started using it.
Rude Boy

Activity: 770

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 01:56:46 PM

Actually i faced this problem hardly 2 months ago, it freezes the page even when i tried to signup. Same i've tried different browsers. Still the same problem occurs. At least you faced it now.

~Rude Boy
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 02:02:34 PM

I thought GreenAddress is the muti sign wallet and the most secure one. Now I know they are not! I sometimes use this wallet. Fortunately I have no fund there!

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 02:06:03 PM

I don't think it is a scam, I would try emailing them...

kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 02:07:24 PM

I haven't personally used this website, but my guess is this is a temporary bug that will be fixed soon. This doesn't seem like anything intentional to me.
hamiltino (OP)

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 02:07:29 PM

about 10btc

holy moly, is it lot of money, at least for me..hope that you can afford to loose them. I lost dozens of coins on web sites like mtgox, so I know how you feel. good luck anyway..

Yeah if you have a lot of coin never rely on third parties, even if they offer a million security and other fancy features. You are still relying on there servers and infrastructure which can be a house of cards.

Lesson learned.

stacking coin
hamiltino (OP)

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 02:10:11 PM

I don't think it is a scam, I would try emailing them...

Yes i have send 2 emails already over the past 24 hours with no response as of yet.

stacking coin
Xialla
Legendary

/dev/null

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 02:13:08 PM

You are still relying on there servers and infrastructure which can be a house of cards.
Lesson learned.

yeah and there is also another point valid for me. It is always better, if you fuck up your own BTC by yourself, then if somebody else fuck up them:) at least this is how it works for me..is better to learn from own mistakes, then be pissed by somebody else mistake.
Kumala

Activity: 525

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 02:14:27 PM

I encountered some bugs with this service too. Best to avoid it.

Hacked Account! Don't send any money.
hamiltino (OP)

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 02:14:31 PM

I haven't personally used this website, but my guess is this is a temporary bug that will be fixed soon. This doesn't seem like anything intentional to me.

Yeah i don't think its intentional, i didn't claim that. It's definitely a bug that has been experienced by others. Very frustrating, don't want to be waiting 90 days for nlock time expiration.

stacking coin
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 02:17:51 PM

I don't get what the problem is. You have your seed no? Did you even read how greenaddress works? If there honestly is a bug in the software your funds should still be safe with your passphrase. Why don't you check out how the services works before freaking out. If you are using it correctly you should be fine. And who is to say someone hasn't gotten your details and IS logged in somewhere else?

more or less retired.
hamiltino (OP)

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 02:36:51 PM

I don't get what the problem is. You have your seed no? Did you even read how greenaddress works? If there honestly is a bug in the software your funds should still be safe with your passphrase. Why don't you check out how the services works before freaking out. If you are using it correctly you should be fine. And who is to say someone hasn't gotten your details and IS logged in somewhere else?

I know i can retrieve funds without using the service after 90 DAYS.

If someone is logged in elsewhere why is it that there are others in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521988.140 that are experiancing the same issues as me. Are we all being hacked? That is a reason to freak out for me. Maybe he/she will wait until the 90 days expires and take my money.

BUT! If i login, i should be able to click logout of the other session. WHY IS IT THAT IT DOESN'T LOGOUT OF THE OTHER SESSION THEN?

stacking coin
Kumala

Activity: 525

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 02:46:49 PM

And who is to say someone hasn't gotten your details and IS logged in somewhere else?

If, as you seem to imply, a user is unable to login because there is an existing session that has not expired then their authentication system is very broken. It should expire any existing login sessions when a user authenticates otherwise users may not be able to login if they clear their browser cookies and such and there will be security issues with session hijacking and such.

Hacked Account! Don't send any money.
ransomer

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 08:39:49 PM

about 10btc

As long as people (and even fairly tech savy people like the ones who found their way in here) are losing BTCs left right and center... BTC is very very far from being any threat to FIAT.

And the people who wish for higher adoption...should consider themselves blessed that BTC does NOT have higher adoption at this stage because if it did the mess would be far greater and many more people would have lost far greater sums...thus probably crippling the entire blockchain technology for years.

We as BTC believers should not push for any further adoption really until all these security issues are solved. Or - accept that it will be an underground nerd currency for the few. If this is the realization many many will jump out of BTC and only these people will be left back with their increasingly worthless coins. Therefore I hope for the first solution - that we get the security issues fixed without relying on old women, computer illiterates and farmers to keep themselves safe. We need to make everyone feel as (or almost as) safe as they feel using the current FIAT banking system.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: