Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:33:19 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I will PayPal you for Bitcoins  (Read 1286 times)
c789 (OP)

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 08:35:40 AM

I tried localbitcoin and there is nobody near me to meet. So - and I know this is risky on my part - I will paypal you $40 USD for 2.96296 bitcoins. That's a rate of $13.50 per bitcoin.

You must have more than 1,000 posts on here AND have been a member for more than 1 year. I figure if you meet both of those criteria, I can probably trust you with $40.

I will pay you first and give you my wallet address. When the paypal transaction clears, you will send B to my address. I realize PayPal takes anonymity out of the picture, but I'm ok with that if you are.

Sorry if it's inappropriate to post this here....I'm still somewhat new. I'm off to bed now but will be up within 7 hours. The first person to accept this by posting your acceptance in this thread will get the deal. We can work out the deal over messages (if I have that functionality yet...otherwise just on the thread). I would like buy today (Sept. 20). Thanks!

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 08:39:13 AM

PayPal & Bitcoins don't play nice together.

c789 (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 08:40:31 AM

True...but PayPal doesn't know that this is about Bitcoins. All they know is that I sent someone $40.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 08:42:57 AM

What's to stop you issuing a chargeback, thus getting the Bitcoins and your money back. Bitcoin transactions aren't reverseable.

The person sending the Bitcoins would be taking all the risk, while you would have none. So stipulating they have 1000+ posts makes no sense.

laSeek

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Litecoin Core Developer

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 08:43:26 AM

The risk is being carried by them rather than you - with PP you can dispute/rollback the transaction and might even get your cash back - they won't get their coin back.
It's one of the main reasons people don't really like using PP for BTC....

I know it's a frustrating situation to be in.
A better section of the forum would be the currency exchange - you might find a better fit for your needs and somebody who has shown to do PP -> BTC for previous clients.

Good luck

Litecoin Core Developer
 - Dev Repo - https://github.com/dasher/litecoin.git
Donations:  LTC LX2aYdR8jPiHUHVmegBiK1DBGa2fusz1fx  BTC 1PnAbtTnQJTiZ1N1RVHLq2vop77PWwsCoC
c789 (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 08:47:44 AM

I suppose I could do a chargeback, but PayPal knows who I am, and so would you after the initial transaction. I see your point though.

Yeah, I would like to buy BC but the whole process of going through multiple layers: bank BTCe, Mtgox, and then the exchange rages, withdrawal hoops...ugh

Chang Hum

Activity: 714
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 08:49:14 AM

The risk is being carried by them rather than you - with PP you can dispute/rollback the transaction and might even get your cash back - they won't get their coin back.

A better section of the forum would be the currency exchange - you might find a better fit for your needs and somebody who has shown to do PP -> BTC for previous clients.

Good luck

OP understands this and has tried to twist an argument to the contrary in the hope he finds someone stupid. OP you probably will sadly!
laSeek

Litecoin Core Developer

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 08:52:13 AM

I know the feeling but checkout the exchange forum - there are a few decent threads there.
You can also try the bitcoin-otc irc channel - just follow the registration process and get yourself confirmed and do a little research on how gribble (the bot) works so you can find somebody who has a rep & a history.

I have the same issue here in Barcelona at the mo with buying btc - and my current approach is pretty convoluted & painful (rechargable CC -> LRUSD -> BTC).
Sometimes it takes an hour, sometimes 8  and today it was closer to 8 - frustrating since now that the Jalapeno's are up for sale I was in a rush.

Litecoin Core Developer
Donations:  LTC LX2aYdR8jPiHUHVmegBiK1DBGa2fusz1fx  BTC 1PnAbtTnQJTiZ1N1RVHLq2vop77PWwsCoC
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 08:52:53 AM

I tried localbitcoin and there is nobody near me to meet. So - and I know this is risky on my part.

Your not taking onboard any risk what-so-ever.

c789 (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 08:54:47 AM

PayPal has verified accounts: I can't be anonymous. So, I think the risk is on me since my identity will be known and I offered to send the funds first, but I totally see how someone could be suspicious.

laSeek

Litecoin Core Developer

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 08:55:15 AM

Good luck

OP understands this and has tried to twist an argument to the contrary in the hope he finds someone stupid. OP you probably will sadly!

heh - aye - but I try to give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise... Hope for the best - plan for the worst.
Besides, I'm stuck in newbie land for a but until I can post on a thread I'm watching - so may as well do my best to help.  Somebody might find it helpful in the future.

Litecoin Core Developer
Chang Hum

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 09:02:43 AM

Good luck

heh - aye - but I try to give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise... Hope for the best - plan for the worst.
Besides, I'm stuck in newbie land for a but until I can post on a thread I'm watching - so may as well do my best to help.  Somebody might find it helpful in the future.

It's really not a good idea to give anyone the benefit of the doubt on this forum this OP's particularly transparent. Use the search bar for paypal and have a look how these threads turn out it's a broken record. Also look at the entire lending section it's a joke!
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 09:02:58 AM

PayPal has verified accounts: I can't be anonymous. So, I think the risk is on me since my identity will be known and I offered to send the funds first, but I totally see how someone could be suspicious.

No good when your 5000 miles away, over a matter of $40.

Chang Hum

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 09:04:08 AM

Yes also unverified and hacked lol
anexsia

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 06:54:30 PM

OP, start a thread in one of the trading/currency exchange sections.

I have found several people here who I buy BTC off of with Paypal and the transactions are very smooth...but you have to be willing to give up information about yourself to help establish trust with the person you're purchasing the BTC from. You can provide them with your full name and address, e-mail them from your Paypal address, provide/verify your cellphone number, provide a copy of your photo ID, etc etc and make sure you have a Verified/Confirmed Paypal account. Basically ask them their terms and what you can do to make them more comfortable with the transaction. You should also start off with small amounts such as 1 or 2 BTC until the person is comfortable with you buying larger amounts.

While you're doing this, signup for a Dwolla account and make a small deposit with your bank account so in 30 days you'll be able to use that account much like Paypal and purchase BTC through Mt. Gox, CampBX, and other places.

Anyways, good luck on finding someone to trade with!  Smiley
c4n10

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 07:10:06 PM

and I know this is risky on my part

You actually have that backwards... The risk is on the seller not the buyer when it comes to paypal and btc...
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 07:12:09 PM

and I know this is risky on my part

You actually have that backwards... The risk is on the seller not the buyer when it comes to paypal and btc...
This

SRG

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 07:24:30 PM

Okay, before I get flamed I did try a forum search on "paypal personal payments".

Paypal comes up all the time and the verdict is clear, the risk is on the Bitcoin sender side not the person using paypal because of the risk of the chargeback.  But what about personal payments option of paypal.  Since by definition no goods were transmitted wouldn't this help shield the person who sent the Bitcoins?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 07:44:58 PM

They just claim that the payment was done because their account was hacked or something like that and surprise, chargeback.

Go ahead if you don't trust me, when you will lose tons of money you will understand  Cheesy

trocon

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 08:41:09 PM

Yes also unverified and hacked lol

+2

Paypal to Paypal, at least you'd have some recourse were that a fraudulent transaction.  

I'm still not sure why OP couldn't just use any number of $ > BTC exchanges.  Hell, I'm new here and there seem at least a dozen ways.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: