Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:57:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did Liberland chose Bitcoins?  (Read 1775 times)
GiocareHost (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 03:01:41 PM

Why liberland chose Bitcoins as there national currency?
Liberland is a micro-nation that got established this year in April.
They had better options(Euro,dollars) but why bitcoins?
Are they trying to prove something?
P.S There have been rumors saying"Satoshi Nakamoto will be declared as the PM of liberland"  Cheesy
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kumala

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 03:04:24 PM

Lol! I don't agree that the euro would've been a better option given the current situation.

If they were to choose the euro or us dollar, then they would be at the whim of their respective central banks. The european central bank could print lots of euro and crash the euros price, in essence they would be under their control if they did that. The only way a nation like liberland could remain free would need to have its own currency or use one that isn't issued by a central authority.

Hacked Account! Don't send any money.
stallion

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 04:08:16 PM

Lol! I don't agree that the euro would've been a better option given the current situation.

If they were to choose the euro or us dollar, then they would be at the whim of their respective central banks. The european central bank could print lots of euro and crash the euros price, in essence they would be under their control if they did that. The only way a nation like liberland could remain free would need to have its own currency or use one that isn't issued by a central authority.

Euro is complete shit and that has been proved on a national level. The US dollar is already controlled by a central authority and using centralized currency would get them to stay on a leash. Bitcoin as a national currency could be the best possible decision but Satoshi as prime minister is a rumor hahaha.

HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 04:34:20 PM

Euro is complete shit and that has been proved on a national level. The US dollar is already controlled by a central authority and using centralized currency would get them to stay on a leash. Bitcoin as a national currency could be the best possible decision but Satoshi as prime minister is a rumor hahaha.

Despite the eurozone scandal, I wouldn't call it complete shit, but yes it is barely nothing in comparison of bitcoin. As the country is small in size, it is wise for them to choose the bitcoin currency. The adoption and trade in market also increase due to this. ALTHOUGH, Satoshi as Prime minister? HAHAHAHA. Oh god, where do you guys all this kind of fake rumors?!
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 04:37:10 PM

it make sense for them to choose something new that is decentralized, as a currency and not corrupted fiat money that are owned by another authority, since they nation is called "Liberland"
Miracal

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 05:16:43 PM

it make sense for them to choose something new that is decentralized, as a currency and not corrupted fiat money that are owned by another authority, since they nation is called "Liberland"

being a micro country, I think it is good to have a currency which is decentralized. having bitcoin as their currency would help them citizens save money from those greedy banksters who charge shit load of money in the name of transaction fees and all that. Btc is going to grow and I am happy about this. Satoshi as PM, hahaha
greBit

Activity: 714

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 05:49:23 PM

being a micro country, I think it is good to have a currency which is decentralized. having bitcoin as their currency would help them citizens save money from those greedy banksters who charge shit load of money in the name of transaction fees and all that. Btc is going to grow and I am happy about this. Satoshi as PM, hahaha

Yeah yeah its all cool to have bitcoin as your currency until its insanely crazy price fluctuations screw thing up for the whole nation. It might make sense for them as they are just a micro country but for a huge nation like china or India, fluctuation of huge amount might end and destroy lives of so many. THis shit matters, y'know.
HigsonPP

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 04:33:57 AM

Yeah yeah its all cool to have bitcoin as your currency until its insanely crazy price fluctuations screw thing up for the whole nation. It might make sense for them as they are just a micro country but for a huge nation like china or India, fluctuation of huge amount might end and destroy lives of so many. THis shit matters, y'know.

Yeah, I do understand that heavy price changes can really screw things up for a huge country or a continent. I think it is wise for this country as it is really small in size. And if Satoshi does become Prime minister, it'd be fucking awesome lol

GiocareHost (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 05:03:21 AM

I don't think Liberland has any Bank,it is small country with only 7 members! And occupies only 3 sq mi
This micronation was created by some members of a Czech political party and they were Bitcoin enthusiast.
Mehek

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 05:48:57 AM

I don't think Liberland has any Bank,it is small country with only 7 members! And occupies only 3 sq mi
This micronation was created by some members of a Czech political party and they were Bitcoin enthusiast.

haha, I don't know about members but it is only 7 squares meter. This is what wikipedia says about them: 'The free nation of Liberland is a self proclaiming micro nation claiming a parcel of land on the western bank of the Danube river between Croatia and Serbia, sharing a land border with the former. It was proclaimed on 13 April 2015 by Czech libertarian politician and activist Vít Jedlička'. I am glad the activists were bitcoin enthusiasts Wink
jayce
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 1501

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 06:33:47 AM

Well the Liberland president Vít Jedlička has been arrested by Croatian police for illegally crossing the border of the Republic of Croatia outside border crossing. It's maybe a good news to us which a "country" accept bitcoin as the nation currency. If you are interested to be a citizen in Liberland, then you can register here https://liberland.org/en/request/

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 07:02:52 AM

well you can fight instability and volatility only with adoption, but if no one want to start to adopt bitcoin, then we are in a blind spot...

so ironically if a great power like china america will start to use bitcoin to a great extent, the volatility will be reduced greatly
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 07:34:42 AM

well you can fight instability and volatility only with adoption, but if no one want to start to adopt bitcoin, then we are in a blind spot...

so ironically if a great power like china america will start to use bitcoin to a great extent, the volatility will be reduced greatly

Yes, but we all know the chances of such an event happening is relatively less for now. US and China have been competing with each other regarding currency. US dollar is a global currency at the moment and China wants to replace it and get that authority and power but it is not possible for them at the moment regardless how powerful their currency is, because people have already adopted the dollar currency so well. They don't want change Sad education is required regarding bitcoins to the masses, I feel.
greBit

Activity: 714

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 09:39:08 AM

Your description of post answers your questions itself. They chose bitcoin because they were bitcoin fanatics, they chose bitcoin because it wouldn't affect their economy as their economy is small (affect in case of price change) and they are a micro nation. I appreciate their love for bitcoin and it would great to see bigger countries slowly adopt bitcoin too. FUCK DA CENTRALIZED SYSTEM!
jayce
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 1501

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 12:15:57 PM

Your description of post answers your questions itself. They chose bitcoin because they were bitcoin fanatics, they chose bitcoin because it wouldn't affect their economy as their economy is small (affect in case of price change) and they are a micro nation. I appreciate their love for bitcoin and it would great to see bigger countries slowly adopt bitcoin too. FUCK DA CENTRALIZED SYSTEM!

I think they are not building a country, but it just a community of bitcoin fanatics. Its hard for big countries to adopt bitcoin, which the government only legalized it. They still prefer to fiat than bitcoin as the currency, because like you said, its centralized system, so they have full control on fiat. In bitcoin, the government can't do anything to control it.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
ThEmporium

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 12:32:01 PM

P.S There have been rumors saying"Satoshi Nakamoto will be declared as the PM of liberland"  Cheesy
There has been no diplomatic recognition of Liberland by any country from the United Nations as per the Wikipedia. Beware, it could be a large scam if anyone trying to enter into Liberland for job purposes.
GiocareHost (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 02:47:21 PM

There has been no diplomatic recognition of Liberland by any country from the United Nations as per the Wikipedia. Beware, it could be a large scam if anyone trying to enter into Liberland for job purposes.
lol,I don't think this country offers any employment.The only work they need to get done is Political  Grin
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 04:02:39 PM

Is Liberland actually a thing beyond some PR stunt? last time I checked that's what it looked like.
I guess they used it because well, what other options they have that are better than Bitcoin if you wanted to create a brand new country?
GiocareHost (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 04:25:47 PM

Is Liberland actually a thing beyond some PR stunt? last time I checked that's what it looked like.
I guess they used it because well, what other options they have that are better than Bitcoin if you wanted to create a brand new country?
They could gave gone with dollars and than digitalise it.Just the same way as ecaudor did it.
Sweden too has digital currency but it is not sponsored by the state.
jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 11:49:40 PM

Liberland is still a thing? I thought it was more of an announcement than anything. Did anyone actually move there?

Either way the micronation is too irrelevant to have much effect on the nature of Bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: