Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:48:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Great Silk Road Crash of 20** ...?  (Read 37049 times)
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2012, 04:19:09 PM

posted this in other "SR Down" thread in speculation too.  

SR page now loading, claiming maintenance.    IMO positive sign that everything is as they say, upgrades for moar users.  Obv in BTC world you never know, but whoever the SR boys are they have done a good job keeping it alive, growing it, and dodging the fuzz.  I give them internet-brofist.

SR should look into making a p2p distributed market place, tor is a quick and dirty solution. A specialized program where seller and users are completely anonymous, would do wonders for traffic, and also it could be organized to be impervious to DOS.

yea +1

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2012, 04:21:11 PM

SR page now loading, claiming maintenance.    IMO positive sign that everything is as they say, upgrades for moar users.  Obv in BTC world you never know, but whoever the SR boys are they have done a good job keeping it alive, growing it, and dodging the fuzz.  I give them internet-brofist.

SR should look into making a p2p distributed market place, tor is a quick and dirty solution. A specialized program where seller and users are completely anonymous, would do wonders for traffic, and also it could be organized to be impervious to DOS.

No, not SR should look into it but everybody.
If there is a "SR Client" it would create a honeypot where just the possession of the program makes you a suspect. But on the other hand if there is a general purpose "Anonymous P2P Cloud Computing Platform" it would make tor (or hidden services) obsolete in an instant.
Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 05:28:58 PM

Quote from: ElectricMucus

If there is a "SR Client" it would create a honeypot where just the possession of the program makes you a suspect. But on the other hand if there is a general purpose "Anonymous P2P Cloud Computing Platform" it would make tor (or hidden services) obsolete in an instant.

this is exactly what the whole internet should become. decentralized and encrypted. keep governments and other interests out from meddling. free flow of information would be the next renaissance for humanity.
Palor

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 05:34:27 PM

Not a techy question or anything but do vendors on SR have their own site separate from everybody else?  In other words, can they still access the site despite the fact we can't?
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2012, 05:36:19 PM

Not a techy question or anything but do vendors on SR have their own site separate from everybody else?  In other words, can they still access the site despite the fact we can't?

IDK, but they probably use the same site.
if its down for you, its down for them
that would be my guess.

Palor

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 05:52:24 PM

that would be my guess.

Thank you for the direct and simple answer!

I figured as much but had a glimmer of hope that there was another way.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2012, 06:57:18 PM

that would be my guess.

Thank you for the direct and simple answer!

I figured as much but had a glimmer of hope that there was another way.

isn't SR back up?

naima53

Activity: 616
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 07:36:13 PM

..what if SR is compromised ...what if they are making a set up right now for the sellers ? usual police scheme works in the way we all know ,when somebody is busted ,police doesnt inform everybody about the bust ..no they actually keep it secret and trying to set up as many people as possible and the person who s got busted first is usually helping them out ..so what if SR was busted and right now they are working on SR to bust more ..and then they would want sellers to log in..i mean its just a theory ..but they have been down for a hot minute now

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
sd

Activity: 730

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 08:53:30 PM

..what if SR is compromised ...what if they are making a set up right now for the sellers ? usual police scheme works in the way we all know ,when somebody is busted ,police doesnt inform everybody about the bust ..no they actually keep it secret and trying to set up as many people as possible and the person who s got busted first is usually helping them out ..so what if SR was busted and right now they are working on SR to bust more ..and then they would want sellers to log in..i mean its just a theory ..but they have been down for a hot minute now

I could find what real Internet IP is hosting a .onion site. Or rather I could find what IP bridges the network hosting the .onion site to the real Internet. It would take some time, some money, and require minor illegal activity but I could do it in principle (not that I ever would.)

If I can do it in principle law enforcement can do it in practice.
steamboat

Activity: 648

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 02:56:37 AM

SR page now loading, claiming maintenance.    IMO positive sign that everything is as they say, upgrades for moar users.  Obv in BTC world you never know, but whoever the SR boys are they have done a good job keeping it alive, growing it, and dodging the fuzz.  I give them internet-brofist.

There may or may not be people working on exactly this.

ASIC miners available for purchase

Those who serve best, profit most.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 06:44:48 AM

Good point. Another point: SR is not under pressure to to innovate, it's future competition is.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 06:46:53 AM

SR page now loading, claiming maintenance.    IMO positive sign that everything is as they say, upgrades for moar users.  Obv in BTC world you never know, but whoever the SR boys are they have done a good job keeping it alive, growing it, and dodging the fuzz.  I give them internet-brofist.

*puts on tinfoil hat* the FEDs or whoever figured out how to use that key they confiscated and are now trying to get the site replicated as honeypot.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 08:32:40 AM

I think all BTC denominated drug trade together adds something like two or three dollars to the BTC price, and if SR were shut down most of the sellers and buyers would just migrate to other sites, so SR itself would be less than $1. Most of BTC trade value comes from speculative demand, drug trade is the only real user of BTC so far that has any significance.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 08:39:01 AM

I think all BTC denominated drug trade together adds something like two or three dollars to the BTC price, and if SR were shut down most of the sellers and buyers would just migrate to other sites, so SR itself would be less than $1. Most of BTC trade value comes from speculative demand, drug trade is the only real user of BTC so far that has any significance.

I calculated (guesstimated, pretty worst-case in the sense that the number is an upper bound) a while back SR was responsible for $0.25 of bitcoin value, if one can see it like that.

However: the market isn't rational *looks at mtgox-hack-drop*, it's more like an emotion-driven woman that will hysterically panic on bad news. SR down for good is one of the impactful news I can imagine in this regard.

On the other hand, since about at least half a year, the market participants seems to have become a lot more robust against bad news. Maybe it's just the bitcoinica-squeezing-effects removed, but I doubt it.

Yet on the other hand: it can be rational to follow the knee-jerk news reactions to profiteer on the irrationality.

mike.wolf

Activity: 17

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 08:56:56 AM

Guess who just got back
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 12:46:51 PM

Yeah it's back ^

edit: No it's not.... Login screen is back only Tongue

"Logins are restricted for the next few hours, please try again later."

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
Shotgun_WooWoo

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 01:01:04 PM

If we want to keep it up, we need to keep it off this forum and fully privatized.  I think it should be referred to as privatized drug trade, rather than anonymous.  It does remove the dangers of people buying drugs on the street, then again they aren't the easiest to work with.

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 02:12:01 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2012, 02:25:59 PM by CoinHoarder

Silk Road is overrated anyways.  Grin

I've used Black Market Reloaded a couple times with great success though. I was able to find cheaper prices for a half of dank ($150) and I assume it isn't being watched as closely as SR is when it comes to the Feds since they are a smaller/newer black market.

They sell some crazy stuff on BMR tho, hitmen, prostitutes, weapons of mass destruction, guns, ... all sorts of crazy stuff. I'd be willing to bet 90% of those offerings are scams. Not that I would order any of those things anyways, but I'd be way too sketched to buy anything but some green on any of these sites.
Shotgun_WooWoo

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 04:19:18 PM

*puts on tinfoil hat* the FEDs or whoever figured out how to use that key they confiscated and are now trying to get the site replicated as honeypot.

This is 100% plausible.  I noticed a weird difference in their 'selection'.  I was originally interested in their pharmaceutical selection, but now most of the inventory seems to be quasi 'illegal' drugs that provide and require a little too much information to be safe.  It's obvious something isn't right...it's too bad too, so many people are just in line to become lab rats in a jail.  I mean, it is very inhumane to have to use the restroom in the same room you live in; let alone in front of another person. 

If SR can pull through this, they'll have my support.  But I will never do any sort of transaction with them until they can prove they are safe and legitimate.

paulie_w

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 07:15:55 PM

how could they possibly prove something like that?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: