Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:44:09 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain split of 4 July 2015  (Read 45588 times)
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 03:14:29 PM

Don't worry, it will be done soon or later. It works for me after 3 days and 114 seen by peers:)
Peers relay transactions - they don't include them in blocks - that is the job of miners.   On the other hand, the more peers that have seen your transaction the more chances that it won't be "forgotten" by miners as time goes on.

In the current unusual hight traffic conditions, please ensure that you include 2 to 3 times the amount of fees that you would normally, that will increase your chances of your transactions to be included in the next block.

The positive thing about all this Bitcoin spam hysteria, is that no one can loose bitcoins - the "confirmation" of the transfers only get delayed if you paid the "recommended" tx fee.  An alternative to Bitcoin in the US is ACH, but with ACH, I have to wait 5 business days for them to transfer from my bank account to Coinbase...  2 to 3 days delay on the Bitcoin network doesn't seem long anymore (for a 2.5 cents fee).  With a $0.25 fee, I get my funds in Bitcoin within 10 minutes. Also compare this to a bank fee of $3.00 if I withdraw cash from an ATM not associated with my bank... Everything is relative.

I guess I could also use Litecoin, with its anti-spam feature, a network that can already handle 4 times the amount of transactions per seconds compared to Bitcoin (4MB per 10 minutes), and 4 times faster to achieve 6 confirmations blocks - but then, if I continued, I would be considered an altcoin troll and expelled from this section of the forum   Cool

Litecoin is already crashing, unfortunately. What we need is a Bitcoin dev to implement that Litecoin feature asap. In fact I Have no idea why this wasn't already implemented a long time ago. I guess its the problem of being the biggest coin ever, you will face problems when trying to reach consensus.
BilalHIMITE

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 04:58:55 PM

i'm wondering about : i am making a software that check the rules of transactions so if it's a fake confirmed transaction the software will detect it ( but cannot confirm it)
is this will be usefull Huh  Huh  to detect fake confired transactions .
sorry for m english.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6705

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 05:14:22 PM

i'm wondering about : i am making a software that check the rules of transactions so if it's a fake confirmed transaction the software will detect it ( but cannot confirm it)
sorry for m english.
What do you mean fake confirmation? As in it is confirmed in a fork and not the real blockchain?

BilalHIMITE

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 05:22:32 PM

sorry for m english.
What do you mean fake confirmation? As in it is confirmed in a fork and not the real blockchain?
if someone sended a false transaction (like bitcoin that doesn't exist) and some miners confirmed it.
my software will detect if it's false or true. good transaction or bad transaction.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1353

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 05:26:54 PM

sorry for m english.
if someone sended a false transaction (like bitcoin that doesn't exist) and some miners confirmed it.
my software will detect if it's false or true. good transaction or bad transaction.

The miners will not confirm any "fake" transaction, and a "fake" transaction is theoretically improbable in the bitcoin network. The network itself is secure enough, given that miners and nodes spread all around the world checks the validity of each transactions and blocks made within the network.
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 05:43:13 PM

Everyone posting in this thread about tx fees and delays, you are posting in the WRONG THREAD.  None of that has anything to do with the fork on 4.July.  Take your tx discussions here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1111811.240
EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 07:58:28 AM

Everyone posting in this thread about tx fees and delays, you are posting in the WRONG THREAD.  None of that has anything to do with the fork on 4.July.  Take your tx discussions here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1111811.240

I'm assuming that users are just redirected here as its still the highlight topic in the news feed
News: ♦♦♦ If you are using any wallet other than Bitcoin Core 0.10.x or 0.9.5, then you should not trust incoming transactions until they have ~30 confirmations. More info. (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1108304.0)

cloakdagger

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 02:59:00 AM

Does this affect BreadWallet too?
dKingston

Activity: 482

LAUNDER BITCOIN: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2015, 08:10:10 PM

thankfully this fork did not affect the majority of bitcoin holders .. only a few mining pools got hurt

LAUNDER & ANONYMIZE YOUR BITCOIN:
https://www.BitLaunder.com/?aid=41
ShawnCart

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 06:22:42 AM

Transactions are taking more time than normal for confirmation. Is this normal ?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 07:37:37 AM

Transactions are taking more time than normal for confirmation. Is this normal ?

apparently yes, at least for the time being, increase your fees if you want to speed it up
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 07:48:56 AM

There is a stress test goin on:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1111811.0

On reddit (/r/bitcoin), search for "Coinwallet" and sort by "new".  They posted a report of their previous test and the plans for this one.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 05:25:52 PM

Normal is an odd word.  

Yes, miners are processing transactions normally.

That said, as I write this there's a 112 Megabyte backlog of about 42K transactions, because someone thinks it's fun to spam the bitcoin network with tiny transactions.  112 Megabytes would take 4 and a half days to clear, even if miners made full blocks all the time, which they don't, and even if no new transactions come in, which they do - especially since whoever it is is still spamming the block chain with new transactions.  Our only consolation is that they are at least real, fee-paying transactions; he or she has spent over $50K on this spam so far.  Presumably it will stop when he or she runs out of money or accomplishes his or her purpose, or gives up.

So your transaction is probably still waiting for space in a block. If you want it to go through in a timely way, construct a new transaction to the same payee and spending the same coins, but with an extra penny or so in fees.  It'll cut line ahead of your old transaction (and all the spam) and go through pretty much immediately.  And then your old transaction will be invalid, so you won't pay twice.
birr

Activity: 869
Merit: 585

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 11:24:01 PM

So your transaction is probably still waiting for space in a block. If you want it to go through in a timely way, construct a new transaction to the same payee and spending the same coins, but with an extra penny or so in fees.  It'll cut line ahead of your old transaction (and all the spam) and go through pretty much immediately.  And then your old transaction will be invalid, so you won't pay twice.
If you made an intervening tx then your wallet won't be sending the same coins for your latest tx as it did the first time.  It will send the same amount, not the same coins.  Or is my understanding faulty?
For that matter, even if you make both tx's one right after the other, the typical wallet won't send out the same coin in the second tx...
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 11:52:59 PM

Didnt the v11 version fixed the unconfirmed transaction problems?

If not then we might need to implement a "no 0 satoshi tx fee" in the new clients.

Can anyone confirm this please?

turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 06:28:36 AM

I send a 0 fee transaction yesterday:
No problem there. It was a few minutes till the first confirmation.
I don't think, it is nice to call my transactions a plaque ...

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 07:19:04 AM

If you let the wallet construct that transaction, it will do exactly that (send different coins). 

You would need to construct a transaction by hand to do this.
ziomar

Activity: 344
Merit: 250

CCMINER.NET

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 12:49:13 PM

This issue is still unsolved?

THE BITCOIN INVESTMENT
24/7 SUPPORT, LIVE CHAT AND USERS COMMUNITY
Stars

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 01:01:46 PM

Interesting. I assume this doesn't affect gambling websites? I see a lot of them still requiring only 1 confirmation on deposit.

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 02:50:25 PM

I send a 0 fee transaction yesterday:
No problem there. It was a few minutes till the first confirmation.
I don't think, it is nice to call my transactions a plaque...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  This was posted just for a little laugh.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: