Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:44:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rackspace getting sued by Patenttroll  (Read 716 times)
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 05:21:51 PM
Last edit: September 20, 2012, 05:51:33 PM by Herodes

http://www.rackspace.com/blog/patent-trolls-make-them-pay/

Seemed like Rackspace trolled the bitcoin community well by the way they handled the Rackspace intrusion that only affected bitcoin services with 'no traces' whatsoever.

Let's see if they find it equally amusing when they're on the receiving end of some high level trolling.

Edit: I think it was Linode who made fun op bitcoinoperators when there were bitcoin related hacks. My appologies to the rackspace ppl. Anyway, I think patents on software is mostly hogwash anyway..
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 05:27:46 PM

That is low level trolling.
Anyway, link to the part where rackspace trolls us?

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Atheros

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 06:45:00 PM

Even if rackspace did cause problems for bitcoin (not heard of this before) they don't deserve patent trolls. They'd have to sink much lower to deserve that, patent trolls are a by-product of a messed up system, turds of the scum of the earth.

Bingo. Linode wasn't malicious. Patent trolls are.

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 06:51:15 PM

That's a really silly blog post. The only meat to their complaint is that the letter includes both Github and Rackspace and the only thing they have in common is that Rackspace hosts Github. But the letter didn't claim any more than that. Rackspace, at least arguably, offers Github to the public. Rackspace profits from Github. Rackspace has the ability to police its customer's use of its services.

Weak sauce. At least cite the patent.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: