Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:11:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So I dropped my phone in the water with all the 2fa keys on it...  (Read 1332 times)
Tabata11 (OP)

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 05:11:42 PM

So I dropped my phone in the water with all the 2fa keys to all of my accounts and wallets on it. Can anyone tell me from experience how difficult it is to retrieve and regain access to my accounts and wallet? I have LBC, Block Chain, Circle, Coinbase, and Cryptothrift.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 05:17:26 PM

So I dropped my phone in the water with all the 2fa keys to all of my accounts and wallets on it. Can anyone tell me from experience how difficult it is to retrieve and regain access to my accounts and wallet? I have LBC, Block Chain, Circle, Coinbase, and Cryptothrift.

Its pretty easy if you have backups.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Tabata11 (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 05:26:20 PM

I fear not Sad
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 05:29:37 PM

I fear not Sad

Contact each service directly and ask for their procedure in this case. It will probably take a while.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 09:25:15 PM

https://accounts.google.com/b/0/SmsAuthSettings this link if it was a google auth. Use the back up codes at the end of the page.
Tabata11 (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 10:39:52 PM

https://accounts.google.com/b/0/SmsAuthSettings this link if it was a google auth. Use the back up codes at the end of the page.

That's what I use!
Thank you !!!
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 11:18:35 PM

I had a 2FA failure with a couple of websites. They were able to bypass and reset it with some extra info including an email from the registered address and an educated guess of my balances. It's totally down to their discretion though.
achow101_alt

Activity: 268

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 02:47:10 AM

If you contact your cell carrier and get a new sim card for your number from them and put that into another phone, you should be able to verify with whatever 2fa service you use to reset everything for your new phone.

Tip Me!: 1AQx99s7q1wVinbgXbA48BaZQVWpHe5gYM | My PGP Key: Fingerprint 0x17565732E08E5E41
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 05:45:02 AM

How is it possible that you sim card got damaged in water? mine was few times and it's working just fine.
Can't you just use it on a new phone with same sim card? I'm assuming u're getting 2fa codes to that number..

cheers
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 09:43:52 AM

Its possible on some services to get access again you just have to wait a while once you have told them.  They must check you are not a hacker trying to get access.

I have the same deal as you if i drop my phone in the water/lose it.
Tabata11 (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 03:15:34 PM

I got my phone working again with the rice in the bag trick!

But how do I back up my keys just in case same thing happens again? (knock on wood)
Next BillGates

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 03:18:11 PM

I got my phone working again with the rice in the bag trick!

But how do I back up my keys just in case same thing happens again? (knock on wood)
So, write down your keys on a paper and don't let it others to know.

Brad Harrison

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 03:39:41 PM

Ya putting it in a bowl of rice always works

GoingAround

Activity: 476
Merit: 252

ImmVRse | Disrupting the VR industry

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 04:09:05 PM

You can always backup google authenticator with titanium backup and save the backup on your computer (if you are using android)
Or you can save each QR-code of the initial add of the 2fa.

▄▄█████▄▄
▄█████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀

████          ████  ███████████▄▄                                
▀███▄        ▄███▀  █████████████▄                               
██    ▄███▄     ▄███▄      ▄███▄     ▄███▄   ████        ████            ▀████    ▄██████████▄     ▄██████████
██    ██ ██     ██ ██      ██ ██     ██ ██    ████      ████             ▄████   ██▀        ▀██   ██▀        
██   ██   ██   ██   ██    ██   ██   ██   ██   ▀███▄    ▄███▀    █████████████▀   ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██   ██   ██   ██   ██    ██   ██   ██   ██    ████    ████     ███████████▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██  ██     ██ ██     ██  ██     ██ ██     ██    ████  ████      ████   ████      ██▄        ▄██   ██▄        
██  ██     ▀███▀     ██  ██     ▀███▀     ██    ▀███▄▄███▀      ████    ████      ▀██████████▀     ▀██████████
████████       ████     ████                                
██████        ████      ████                                

WHITEPAPER    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
APPLY FOR CROWDSALE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    BITCOINTALK

Proud Sponsor of
Blockchain 360 at
London Tech Week
  ◢  FACEBOOK
◢  TWITTER
◢  TELEGRAM
◢  MEDIUM
photon_coin

Activity: 310
Merit: 256

Photon --- The First Child Of Blake Coin --Merged

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2015, 04:29:16 PM

suggestion

use a qt client for conis not a phone

there are ways to 'reproduce' or 'emulate' the 2fa environment on a laptop of desktop,

im sorry you had trouble,

Tabata11 (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 05:54:00 PM

I have Google authenticator on iphone. Can I just copy and crop the QR code and save it onto my computer? Is that sufficient enough to back it up?
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 04:02:20 PM

I have Google authenticator on iphone. Can I just copy and crop the QR code and save it onto my computer? Is that sufficient enough to back it up?

No. You need to backup the pairing code. The one you enter/scan before the codes start appear in your authenticator.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 01:57:52 PM

Not all services disable 2FA. You could be someone who hacked the account holders email. So i enable 2FA on my phone only that way:

Note down the code to create the 2FA (Usually around 30 or so signs) then manually enter the code in my phone. That way i know i noted the code down correctly. Then enable it on the website.

Everyone who did not note down the creation codes should disable and enable 2FA on all websites and note down the creation code. Otherwise you might not get access to an account anymore at one point. Some sites are strict there. For a reason.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Tabata11 (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 11:49:06 PM

Not all services disable 2FA. You could be someone who hacked the account holders email. So i enable 2FA on my phone only that way:

Note down the code to create the 2FA (Usually around 30 or so signs) then manually enter the code in my phone. That way i know i noted the code down correctly. Then enable it on the website.

Everyone who did not note down the creation codes should disable and enable 2FA on all websites and note down the creation code. Otherwise you might not get access to an account anymore at one point. Some sites are strict there. For a reason.

Yup, I disabled and enabled my 2fa so I can back up my keys on paper.
Took a while to write random gibberish down but it brings peace to my mind.
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 01:24:01 AM

Yup, I disabled and enabled my 2fa so I can back up my keys on paper.
Took a while to write random gibberish down but it brings peace to my mind.

You could print screen and print the code instead, then no need to write random gibberish unless the worse happen. And you always can write things wrong, so it is not secure too
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: