Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:46:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Well that blows  (Read 4286 times)
Ascholten (OP)

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 01:27:14 AM

Just got done thru a 14 hour block to find the coin.
I crunched probably 8 or those mostlikely more.   
I shut down the crunchers for a few hours because I needed the comp's power for other tasks.

Typically I get from oh say 6 to 10 cents worth of BC per completed unit.,

I got exactly  0.0000000000 BC share for all that work.

so I give you that many hours of crunching and get shit on? 

so all the work I did in the 'middle' doesn't count for squat for the overall payout?  That's not what the site claims.

WTF.

Aaron

Bit Visitor      You view the page / ads and get paid. 
Coin Tube    You watch videos and get paid.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 01:55:44 AM

What pool? Sounds like Prop with some sort of anti-hopping hacked-together solution.

Switch pools.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
meebs

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 11:38:04 PM

I shut down the crunchers for a few hours because I needed the comp's power for other tasks.

I got exactly  0.0000000000 BC share for all that work.

so all the work I did in the 'middle' doesn't count for squat for the overall payout?  That's not what the site claims.

WTF.

Aaron

switch to a PPS pool like 50btc or ozcoin or btcguild

you'll get paid the exact same for EVERY single share you submit no matter what or when.

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2012, 03:29:29 AM

I got exactly  0.0000000000 BC share for all that work.

so all the work I did in the 'middle' doesn't count for squat for the overall payout?  That's not what the site claims.

WTF.

Aaron
I'll try to decipher

the pool you mine on had a 14hour block
you submitted 8 shares (maybe more) of many millions of shares

when the block completed you had so few shares that when rounded down you get 0.0000000000 BC
you probably did earn 0.00000000000001 BC but the pool software only shows to 8 decimal places (the accepted standard)

what are you mining on and what software?
a cpu that does 8 (or a few more) shares in 14 hours is costing you more in electricity than you could ever earn back.

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 11:22:55 AM

What pool? Sounds like Prop with some sort of anti-hopping hacked-together solution.

Switch pools.
He's talking about Slush's pool, they had a 14 hour block yesterday and now that they've changed c on the score system there shares lose value quite quickly...
Ascholten (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 01:41:07 PM

graet,  no,   I did not submit 8 shares out of the millions.  I submitted 8 hours worth of mining out of the total 14 give or take an hour or so.

So let's say my normal 'cut' would have been 10 cents,   if I did half the work I  normally did, then my cut should be about  4 to 5 cents...  (i say cents but you know what I mean)

My point was I DID submit significant work towards this block but got flat out ZERO for it.   Even if as you said, I only submitted 8 shares out of the entire job, I should still see SOME, small return for it.  I have had blocks like that where I submitted such a small amount it said 0.00000000  I see that as what you described, the rounding, but when it just flat out says ... you share... NONE,  that tells me it didn't even consider me.

Aaron

Shadow383

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 01:45:13 PM

graet,  no,   I did not submit 8 shares out of the millions.  I submitted 8 hours worth of mining out of the total 14 give or take an hour or so.

So let's say my normal 'cut' would have been 10 cents,   if I did half the work I  normally did, then my cut should be about  4 to 5 cents...  (i say cents but you know what I mean so don't try to nit that to avoid the issue).

My point was I DID submit significant work towards this block but got flat out ZERO for it.   Even if as you said, I only submitted 8 shares out of the entire job, I should still see SOME, small return for it.

Aaron
That's how score proportional systems work. The value of your shares decays rapidly over time, so on slush only the last maybe 15 minutes worth of hashing actually matters to any great extent when a block is found.
It makes the thing a little bit less profitable for hoppers basically.
Ascholten (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 01:55:05 PM

Thank you for the reply shadow.  I was under the impression that they were 'fair' as they claim and all your work gets treated evenly, everyone gets their 'fair share'.  Obviously not.

With that, why is hopping bad?  If I do  one percent of the crunching work, and I get 1 percent of the profits, why is that a bad thing?  If I stay longer, and technically do, say 15 percent of the crunching work, and get 15 percent of the share, that's 'good' or the way it is 'supposed' to be right?

Are there pools out there where it's just the 'participation' that matters, not how much you participated, in which this actually IS a problem?   If so, very odd.

Aaron

jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 03:05:20 PM

Thank you for the reply shadow.  I was under the impression that they were 'fair' as they claim and all your work gets treated evenly, everyone gets their 'fair share'.  Obviously not.

With that, why is hopping bad?  If I do  one percent of the crunching work, and I get 1 percent of the profits, why is that a bad thing?  If I stay longer, and technically do, say 15 percent of the crunching work, and get 15 percent of the share, that's 'good' or the way it is 'supposed' to be right?

Are there pools out there where it's just the 'participation' that matters, not how much you participated, in which this actually IS a problem?   If so, very odd.

Aaron
Hopping is bad because it screws over the people who stay on a single pool.
If you don't like the reward calculation, switch to a pool that uses a different one. I use BTCGuild, and every share is paid out exactly the same amount.
Ascholten (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 03:56:34 PM

jwzguy, how does it screw over the people who stay there?  If I do say 1/100th of the work, isn't it fair that I get 1/100th of the bounty?

If a 'solution' is going to take  X calculations to get to the bottom of it, doesn't my 'share' bring you that much closer to payday?  Doesn't my work bring you to that solution just that much quicker?

IM not trying to be an asshole, but how does someone hopping hurt?  Again unless, as I said before a certain pool is just going to pay for 'being there' and not 'how much work' you actually contributed.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, im fairly new here and don't know all this stuff yet that others can take for general knowledge.

Thank you.

Aaron

Shadow383

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 04:15:58 PM

jwzguy, how does it screw over the people who stay there?  If I do say 1/100th of the work, isn't it fair that I get 1/100th of the bounty?

Because the shares early in a round on a proportional pool have a higher predicted yield than shares later in a round.
When people hop, 24/7 miners get in less shares early in the round and so their average predicted yield is lower.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 04:50:25 PM

Because the shares early in a round on a proportional pool have a higher predicted yield than shares later in a round.
When people hop, 24/7 miners get in less shares early in the round and so their average predicted yield is lower.

Nicely summed up.

Ascholten - bottom line - if you want the "fairest" (by the criteria you outlined) payout for the amount of work you put in, join a PPS pool like BTCGuild. You will be happy.
Ascholten (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 05:48:13 PM

I understand that shadow, as I have seen in slush's pool, the value of the shares goes up and down, but the value is 'estimated' and only paid out after the block is found, and the real number is figured out right?

So for 'hoppers'  I am assuming they watch the different pools, and when one starts a new block, they hop in early get a bit and then get out of it, looking for another new one?

Im just trying to learn all this and honestly don't have the time to hop all over the place, I want to set my rig up and leave it run w/o having to constantly babysit.

I will give the 50btc pool a try and see how that works out for me over a few days.

Thank you for the education everyone.

Aaron

Idzy

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 02:38:16 AM

Hoppers jump on a pool like slushes stick around for 30-45 minutes and if a block isnt found in that time leave to another pool starting a new round.  They get their "fair" share on the short rounds but that reduces the share of the loyal miners that will stick it out for the 14 hour rounds.

On the long rounds they get nothing, or if they are lucky they might get a little bit if the round ends shortly after they leave.

The way I see it is if the round is less than 3 hours then I do better than I would on a pps pool but the hoppers make it less profitable on short rounds. But I stick out the long rounds because on average if I keep track of the # of shares I submit I find I still make more sticking with slush then I would on a pps pool.

But if you don't mine constantly then you are better off on a pps pool.

Successful Transactions with: 21after2
Ascholten (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 08:56:56 PM

I kind of see that idzy, and it appears there really is no perfect solution.

I try to mine always but sometimes I need the computer for some other crunching and with both video cards burning at 100 percent,  watching a movie is out of the question, so will shut one down,
or crunching some blu rays or something.    It just sucks when I put say 8 hours into a 10 hour coin, but because I was gone the last 45 minutes my shares effectively dropped to zero, because they are only looking at the last half hour.

Im on the 50btc pps now and it seems a share is always worth the same amount, been that way for days it appears,.  I would think that the value would change slightly as the overall time changes to find them.

Oh well, Ill quit crying and go lay over by my dish now  Grin

Aaron

meebs

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 09:33:46 PM

Im on the 50btc pps now and it seems a share is always worth the same amount, been that way for days it appears,.  I would think that the value would change slightly as the overall time changes to find them.

Aaron

that is the ENTIRE point of a pps pool.. equal payment for a share, no matter when why or how.

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Ascholten (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 10:27:05 PM

i understand that meebs but if a mining evolution generates say 100k shares then each share is worth a certain amount of the 50 coins earned.   if the evolution generates 10M shares because it was a long ass mining effort to find it, then the shares are worth less, but you will have more of them.   your 'profit' from the coin find will be essentially the same but your shares will not be the same.  that 50 coins split between the shares, each share should be worth more coins per with a short find time.

Aaron

nomnomnom

Activity: 313

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 07:26:11 PM

Yes thats the variance in mining,

when you mine pps you get always the same, and the pool has to maintain a buffer for the bad
times when a block takes 10 million shares or more, thats why most of the real pps pools have a fee.

But over a long time frame it should even out.

AFAIK the pps payout is based on the difficulty, at the moment it is  2864141, which means
on average it takes you that many shares to find a block, so pps with 0 fee would be (1 / 2864141) * 50 = 0.00001745724 BTC/share
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 09:18:18 PM

Aaron
Hopping is bad because it screws over the people who stay on a single pool.
If you don't like the reward calculation, switch to a pool that uses a different one. I use BTCGuild, and every share is paid out exactly the same amount.

Anti-Hopping is bad because its inherently dishonest. It's obfuscating the payout method to the point where the average user can't figure it out. In addition there's no good reason for it. If a pool can afford to pay X per share, from the pools perspective it shouldn't care if that's 10000 users with 1mh/s or if it's 10 users with 1gh/s - it's still paying out the same. It basically amounts to the pool operator being able to punish people who can't mine 24/7 or who have spotty internet service. Trying to prevent this is just silly.

Ascholten (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 09:49:32 PM

I have to agree with firefop on this one,  if someone did the work, they should be compensated for it.   Sometimes I have to use my computer for other tasks and have to shut down the mining a bit,  it really sucks if I have to lose 3 hours or 8 hours worth of mining, just because I wasn't there for the last 12 minutes or whatever.

I understand why pools do this, but do not necessarily agree with it.  So what if you spend all your time there BFD, the work that 'hopper' accomplished DID add to you guys figuring out the click for your money.  If they didnt do that, you'd be there even longer waiting for your payout.

Im not saying that the pool owners need to change their rules, that's not my place, and it is what it is.  I am just making my feelings known on it. 

Also on this, the pool operators are NOT going broke on this. hosting is dirt cheap, and with a bigger pool, they ARE raking in the cash.  Don't try to say you are not either, because you'd not be doing all of the pool management stuff if you were not getting compensated for it.  and No I do NOT believe you are doing it solely because you love 'helping out' the community.

Aaron

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: