Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:30:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we try to give Bitcoin the 'Colbert Bump?'  (Read 1981 times)
pist0la (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 04:13:54 PM

I'm sure at least most of you are aware of the Colbert Report and the exponential increase in popularity his respective 'bump' can cause. If we make enough noise here: http://forums.colbertnation.com/?page=ForumView&forum_id=63 we might be able to get the topic on the show. In fact, he might love to be one of the first to report on it. He could have a field day with it.

What do you guys think? The topics in the Show Suggestions forum don't get too many responses so if we can try for something like 100 replies in a Bitcoin thread, it will surely get noticed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 04:19:19 PM

I don't think it really fits into his realm of political analysis and comedy.

How does bitcoin relate to US politics? It doesn't... yet Wink

Perhaps at a later date, but not now imho.
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 05:05:52 PM

Na, he likes to have on guests that make easy targets.  Gavin would be an awesome guest on the show and I think he could handle Colbert well.  It could be potentially entertaining which is the only thing Colbert needs.  I've seen far more obscure things on the show.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 06:23:04 PM

we should be donating Bitcoin to those political campaigns we support, instead of USD.

no politics here:  it's a simple thought which will result in more wide-spread use of Bitcoin, and may help with the inevitable legal issues in the future.

just send 10 BTC to whoever you want to support.  trust me - there's nobody more likely than a political campaign to figure out how to use Bitcoin.  and nobody more likely to see the advantages of Bitcoin as a tool to finance election efforts.

those politicians... they like their money.
PLATO

Activity: 493
Merit: 250

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 07:05:45 PM

if someone else starts the thread I'll bump it, we can probably get a decent response

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 07:12:10 PM

we should be donating Bitcoin to those political campaigns we support, instead of USD.

no politics here:  it's a simple thought which will result in more wide-spread use of Bitcoin, and may help with the inevitable legal issues in the future.

just send 10 BTC to whoever you want to support.  trust me - there's nobody more likely than a political campaign to figure out how to use Bitcoin.  and nobody more likely to see the advantages of Bitcoin as a tool to finance election efforts.

Political campaigns are under such close observation by the IRS that I can't imagine any mainstream campaign that would accept Bitcoins. Too many unanswered questions that could lead to campaign-finance controversy.

For starters, you can't make anonymous donations to campaigns, you can't accept donations from foreign nationals, and you have to be sure nobody goes over the donation limits. Accepting Bitcoin makes it very difficult for a campaign to ensure it is following any of these three laws.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 07:17:16 PM

Political campaigns are under such close observation by the IRS that I can't imagine any mainstream campaign that would accept Bitcoins. Too many unanswered questions that could lead to campaign-finance controversy.

For starters, you can't make anonymous donations to campaigns, you can't accept donations from foreign nationals, and you have to be sure nobody goes over the donation limits. Accepting Bitcoin makes it very difficult for a campaign to ensure it is following any of these three laws.

[emphasis mine]

i'm gonna go out on a limb here, and posit that over half the members of this forum own formal and legitimate corporations.

after that, i only have one other thing to say:

Citizens United.
lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2011, 07:24:43 PM

Nah, it's not time for it. Honestly, the market for actual goods and services is so small right now, it's still not time for any major press. If everyone in the world heard about bitcoins today, most would be off-put when they realize the economy is based more on financial moves than on transactions. Sure, the value would rise exponentially, but it would definitely lead to a crash soon after. The Colbert crowd is a crowd you want to keep longer term.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:33:06 AM

Looks like happening today

http://www.colbertnation.com/

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
TimJBenham

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:05:28 AM
Last edit: April 18, 2013, 10:05:23 AM by TimJBenham

Good. People who watch Colbert tend to be self-satisfied middle-brow people. We need more traders like that.

You are a warlord in the outskirts of the known world struggling to establish a kingdom in the wild lands.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:11:21 AM

he's a satirist, wont he just find some way to cast btc in an embarrassing light?

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:27:24 AM

http://youtu.be/CRSUF63Z81M

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: