Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 07:09:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a regulated exchange where I can short btc?  (Read 965 times)
Greendragon (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 05:20:08 PM

I want to short btc when it skyrockets on a legalised exchange. I have no interest in doing that on a monkey btc-e exchange.
Can anyone help me out ?
gijoes

Activity: 499
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 05:25:20 PM

You can do it on Nasdaq OMX (ticker COINXBT, ratio: 200:1 to BTC). It's traded in Swedish krona but available through many international brokerages (including US ones).

Yeah, and good luck since you will need a lot of it...

🔒 SafeCrypt.io  █████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 05:26:42 PM

bitstamp or bitfinex are legit exchange, you can try your way on one of those big exchange with big volume, trading futures on okcoin should be profitable too
Morecoin Freeman

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

Legendary trader

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 05:30:54 PM

I trade on bitfinex. Not regulated but really stable.

Ask the stranger he knows who you really are.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 05:33:13 PM

bitstamp or bitfinex are legit exchange, you can try your way on one of those big exchange with big volume, trading futures on okcoin should be profitable too

They might be considered 'legit' but they're still not regulated and they could disappear in a puff of disaster at any moment. You're leaving yourself open to a recovery process that might result in getting diddly squat back.

Bitstamp doesn't do leverage. OKcoin have proven themselves to be incompetent liars. They still work though.

Kraken has a good rep and does leverage but it's no more legalised than anywhere else. Itbit is the most legit of them all but as far as I know the terms of their banking charter specifically prohibits leverage.

The OP may be in for a bit of a wait yet.

gijoes

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 05:35:43 PM

They might be considered 'legit' but they're still not regulated and they could disappear in a puff of disaster at any moment. You're leaving yourself open to a recovery process that might result in getting diddly squat back.

Bitstamp doesn't do leverage. OKcoin have proven themselves to be incompetent liars. They still work though.

Kraken has a good rep and does leverage but it's no more legalised than anywhere else. Itbit is the most legit of them all but as far as I know the terms of their banking charter specifically prohibits leverage.

I don't see OP mentioned need for leverage anywhere. He wants to short on a regulated exchange, Nasdaq OMX is as regulated as it gets. Shorting is possible through any reputable brokerage.

🔒 SafeCrypt.io  █████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 05:42:47 PM

I don't see OP mentioned need for leverage anywhere. He wants to short on a regulated exchange, Nasdaq OMX is as regulated as it gets. Shorting is possible through any reputable brokerage.

Shorting IS using leverage. Selling != Shorting. Not the same thing at all

gijoes

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 05:48:52 PM

Incorrect. Shorting does not imply leverage, the concepts are orthogonal.
Shorting: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/shortselling.asp
Leverage: http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/073113/leverage-what-it-and-how-it-works.asp

🔒 SafeCrypt.io  █████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 3919

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 09:07:11 PM

Incorrect. Shorting does not imply leverage, the concepts are orthogonal.
Shorting: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/shortselling.asp
Leverage: http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/073113/leverage-what-it-and-how-it-works.asp

shorting requires margin account and uses margin. You will be charged money (margin interest) for shorts, so it does imply leverage as in NOT CASH, similar to margin lending (long). The "funny" thing about shorting is that you can easily lose MORE than you invested in comparison with a long (non-leveraged) position as you can only lose whatever you invested there and nothing more.
gijoes

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 09:09:35 PM

200:1?? Where did you see this?

As per specification (http://xbtprovider.com/lang_en), multiplicator 0.005 means 200 ETN shares per one BTC. There is a fair value calculator down the page.

🔒 SafeCrypt.io  █████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
gijoes

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 09:34:20 PM

shorting requires margin account and uses margin. You will be charged money (margin interest) for shorts, so it does imply leverage as in NOT CASH, similar to margin lending (long). The "funny" thing about shorting is that you can easily lose MORE than you invested in comparison with long (non-leveraged) position as you can only lose whatever you invested and nothing more.

Similar, but not equivalent. You could argue that buying the instrument outright is a "leveraged trade" with leverage 1:1. Same goes for a non-leveraged naked short sale (with a leverage 1:1). Theoretically, you could lose infinite amount amount of money on a non-leveraged naked short, you are right. In practice, margin calls will probably kick in long before that.

🔒 SafeCrypt.io  █████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
█████
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 3919

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 10:00:28 PM

shorting requires margin account and uses margin. You will be charged money (margin interest) for shorts, so it does imply leverage as in NOT CASH, similar to margin lending (long). The "funny" thing about shorting is that you can easily lose MORE than you invested in comparison with long (non-leveraged) position as you can only lose whatever you invested and nothing more.

Similar, but not equivalent. You could argue that buying the instrument outright is a "leveraged trade" with leverage 1:1. Same goes for a non-leveraged naked short sale (with a leverage 1:1). Theoretically, you could lose infinite amount amount of money on a non-leveraged naked short, you are right. In practice, margin calls will probably kick in long before that.

just for the sake of it...
1. shorting is not allowed in cash accounts (like IRAs). Surely, it means that it is different from long in that respect. Long nonmargined positions do not result in any interest payments, but short positions always do. I fail to see how you can see those as basically identical.
2. Margin call warnings mean nothing when you get a gap up. Not only your position would be closed involuntarily (if it is below zero), but you would also experience a cash call on any liquid assets you might have (bank account, etc.)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 08:40:59 AM

so we have only one regulated exchange? that's a bit bad if you ask me, i was expecting something more than that

with leverage he can diminish the risk of holding many money on a non regulated exchange, and thus using those that are not regulated

also i'm assuming that he will withdraw any profit from there
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 12:10:06 PM

so we have only one regulated exchange? that's a bit bad if you ask me, i was expecting something more than that

You have Coinbase as well of course but Itbit is governed by banking regulations rather than whatever mish mash Coinbase is using. I don't know if they've explicitly stated that coins and fiat are protected in the same way Itbit is. They might have believed they were regulated and then certain states disagreed rather strongly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: