Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:28:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek on-line merchants?  (Read 1252 times)
rebuilder (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 06:27:37 AM

How are Greek webstores etc. handling payments now that capital controls are in place? I'd imagine it has to be a problem for merchants serving the domestic market as well as those with foreign customers. It's my understanding Greeks don't shop online nearly as much as other Europeans, but this still seems like a niche where Bitcoin could genuinely be useful as a payment method.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 03:27:22 PM

Bitcoin could fill a gap here but it has to be driven by the retailers. If the retailers don't provide the option for payment they'll never know if consumers want to use it, and it also helps introduce consumers to it as a payment option.

I doubt the domestic online retailers are doing that poorly, I believe the restriction on online payments was to international destinations. Greece retailers should focus on international sales, that country needs to import money as fast as it can.

Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 03:46:24 PM

I am not familiar with Greek online shops but I imagine they have similar services like everyone else: some major online shops or platform like ebay.
In its current messy economic condition I think whoever first introduce bitcoin acceptance will win the jackpot. The only problem is if people running these shops would take that risk.
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 06:13:09 PM

I am not familiar with Greek online shops but I imagine they have similar services like everyone else: some major online shops or platform like ebay.
In its current messy economic condition I think whoever first introduce bitcoin acceptance will win the jackpot. The only problem is if people running these shops would take that risk.

There are probably people accepting Bitcoin, the main problem is Bitcoin is still too small for it to go beyond the knowledgeable people, most people are clueless.
rebuilder (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 07:03:07 PM

I doubt the domestic online retailers are doing that poorly, I believe the restriction on online payments was to international destinations. Greece retailers should focus on international sales, that country needs to import money as fast as it can.

I only have what informaion is available from the press, but weren't there reports of gas stations etc. refusing credit cards, only taking cash? It would make sense since getting paid in Greek bank IOUs comes with a very real risk of a haircut soon.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
locopao
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 07:13:59 PM

I only have what informaion is available from the press, but weren't there reports of gas stations etc. refusing credit cards, only taking cash? It would make sense since getting paid in Greek bank IOUs comes with a very real risk of a haircut soon.

that is 99% lies

supermarkets and gas stations accept credit and debit cards. and that is the main reason of big waiting lines, since the system is getting overload most of the times.

of course there are some businesses that do not accept any cards, only cash, but they are just a very small percent.
cysive

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 08:18:17 PM

I just heard on CNBC from a Greek official that bank transfers under 15,000 Euros are still allowed as long as the transaction is inside Greece.

-C.

Creator of the world's first bitcoin game show. http://takemybitcoins.tv

https://twitter.com/TakeMyBitcoins
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 10:58:06 PM

I just heard on CNBC from a Greek official that bank transfers under 15,000 Euros are still allowed as long as the transaction is inside Greece.

-C.
The government statement said online transactions inside Greece will not be affected, thats why we see mostly old people lining up on ATMs.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 10:58:21 PM

In fact Greece people never need euro to do domestic transactions, since all the transactions only happens in bank's database, no euro is really moved. Only when they export/import goods/services to other EU countries, their bank need to provide real euro, and even that could be set up by a clearing house if the export/import is balanced, only significant trade deficit will drain their euro quickly

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 11:29:55 PM

Capital controls do not affect foreign orders at Greek webstores, though I imagine there aren't many, and local orders are also unaffected since all transactions are made by credit cards. Actually, online merchants may thrive since there's little cash around. You may worry more about stores on the streets, where most transactions are cash.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 07:38:12 AM

i doubt their people would buy stuff from a less known ebay, everyone nowadays is buying by the same big online merchants, which are ebey and amazon, greece are no exception,

and usually local big merchants rely on those big merchants, i'm sure you can find easily, some greek merchants among those that are selling on ebay
jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 07:41:05 AM

In order for Greek merchants to begin accepting Bitcoin, Bitcoin users need to express an interest. Contact Greek merchants, and explain that you are heavily interested in purchasing their goods, but only for Bitcoin.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 08:51:52 AM

-C.
The government statement said online transactions inside Greece will not be affected, thats why we see mostly old people lining up on ATMs.

so, they can indeed buy bitcoin, as long as the exchange or service is from inside greece and the money won't leave the country.
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 01:21:39 PM

any one know if there is a greek centralize payment system or processor like a paypal but greek, it would be easier for then to offer bitcoin integration then going to every online merchant.

HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 04:33:49 PM

In order for Greek merchants to begin accepting Bitcoin, Bitcoin users need to express an interest. Contact Greek merchants, and explain that you are heavily interested in purchasing their goods, but only for Bitcoin.

I think the issue here is the whole other world is concerned about Bitcoins working with Greece, rather than just Greece, If the people who live there, the residents and citizens, have no interest or wish to trade with bitcoin, then why will they make efforts and talk so said merchants? If there was absolute need, talks would have been commenced already. Greeks don't really give a fuck about bitcoins...
Miracal

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 04:51:25 PM

I think the issue here is the whole other world is concerned about Bitcoins working with Greece, rather than just Greece, If the people who live there, the residents and citizens, have no interest or wish to trade with bitcoin, then why will they make efforts and talk so said merchants? If there was absolute need, talks would have been commenced already. Greeks don't really give a fuck about bitcoins...

Yes, I see no actual Greeks and citizens who actually live in Greece raise an issue, or talk anything positive about involving bitcoins in their economic scene, They are realists and they know and feel the pain going on in their country. Most of the people here are just losers trying to find a way to make more money out of another country's crisis rather than offering a complete solution or offering helpful advise.
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 05:51:29 PM

Yes, I see no actual Greeks and citizens who actually live in Greece raise an issue, or talk anything positive about involving bitcoins in their economic scene, They are realists and they know and feel the pain going on in their country. Most of the people here are just losers trying to find a way to make more money out of another country's crisis rather than offering a complete solution or offering helpful advise.

Everyone that is an active Bitcoin user is probably already a member of the Greek subsection in this forum.
Its not that Greeks dont give a fuck about Bitcoin, its just that Greeks are ignorant about Bitcoin and dont know what it is, and 99% that know, dont know what to do with it. The other 1% like I said before are already members here.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 06:44:29 PM

They're all buggered.

http://mic.com/articles/121824/greece-is-slowly-cutting-itself-off-from-the-internet-in-attempt-to-save-its-economy

Internal Greek payments for services like Apple and Paypal have to leave the country before they come back in. None of them are working now.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 08:23:32 PM

The infrastructure for accepting Bitcoins is all there, it doesn't matter which country you're in you should be able to sign up to the crypto only payment processors like coinpayments, it's all up to them now. I do think that we need to seriously take a look at some open source SCI's though.
needFREElunch

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Hi

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 08:28:47 PM

Bitcoin can definitely prove to be a good help for Greek merchants and retailers.Now that the currency is in great upheavel ,they can probably adopt Bitcoins to save their trade. They need to be aware about it.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: