Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:00:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just wanted to mention something that pisses me off...and other things I wonder  (Read 731 times)
max in montreal (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 03:45:41 AM

The last company I worked for I did a lot of travelling. In 2 years I must have been on airplanes at least 200 times.
One of the things I never understood is why people who traveled a lot and had gold cards and were allowed to board earlier and use the red carpet while boarding were always getting the VIP treatment. When they were getting on the airplane, they walked on a special red carpet.
Once the VIP were on the plane, they placed a chain blocking people from walking on that red carpet. The regular folks had to use a different path to show their tickets and board the plane which made no sense, as they were now 3 feet from the person behind the counter checking your tickets so everyone had to stretch a bit more to show their ID to board the plane. Eventually I was allowed to use the red carpet, but I do not see the benefit of getting on a plane early…I always waited as long as possible to board a plane, to the point of letting them call me once or twice on the intercom. I wanted to make sure I was last.
My reasoning was simple; I already know I have a seat…what’s the rush?  When you know you are the last to get onto a plane, walking in you can choose where you would like to sit. Worse case scenario you sit where you were supposed to sit. Best case scenario you pick a seat in an empty row, or next to a beautiful woman…or a man if that’s your thing.
The process of boarding first apparently is a big deal in the airline industry. They want people who travel a lot to feel special.  If there are 100 people on a plane, they might have 20 in the first class or business class section and 80 in the rest of the plane, yet 80 people share 2 washrooms and the 20 share 1. at one point I had to use the washroom and the 2 meant for the poor folk were occupied so I ventured into first class, but was stopped but the stewardess, and she asked, where do you think your going? I replied with I have to take a shit so fucking bad and I can’t wait, if I do wait, I may shit in the isle, and someone will have to clean it up, and its not going to be me. She let me pass but with a warning.
Once the plane has taken off they even pull a curtain over to show that you are sitting in economy, but you can see through the curtain, just enough to see what you are missing…
But that’s not the point of my rant…my point is they called the whole process, PRE-BOARDING.
All those frequent flyers were PRE-BOARDING. Boarding means to get on the plane…if you get on the plane first or get on last you are boarding the plane…WTF is PRE-BOARDING? Either your boarding or you are not…you cannot pre-board…
Now for those wondering what my point is…WTF is PRE-ORDERING. Reading various posts and threads about the asic miners, many have PRE-ORDERED…so let me get this straight…you did not order, you PRE-ORDERED…I hope I got it right…I am wondering if I should pre-order or just order one?
This brings me to another point…
First let’s get something out of the way. Tom, I am not picking on you or making fun of your products, I am just pointing something out that makes me wonder about marketing of some of the products on the web site.
If we take a look at https://www.btcfpga.com there are basically 2 different miners;

For 1069$ we can purchase;
“Multiple SHA256 hashing cores for a total Bitcoin mining speed of 27Gh/s”

OR

For 1069$ we can purchase;
“For a total Unit Speed & Efficiency of 800+mhash”

BFL is doing the same, but even worse…
http://www.butterflylabs.com/products/

Slim & enormously powerful. BitForce Singles are an excellent low cost solution.
$599
Performance: 832 Mega Hash / s @ 80w

OR…

BitForce Jalapeno 3.5 GH/s - $149

Why would you still sell the old stuff?
Remember, I am not commenting on the equipment, just questioning the marketing of the products… Are you still selling FPGAs?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
oldschool

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 04:43:52 AM

From what I've gathered it's because those machines will still be profitable and have resell value until 2 things happen, the rewards halve and the new asics miners come out causing the difficulty to increase.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 04:51:23 AM

I believe if you're traveling first class, the sooner you get on the plane, the sooner you can order drinks and food and recline back in your wonderful seat while the plane still sits at the gate.

Regarding pre-ordering, it's just a divsion of buying into two sets:

1. Buying when it's not yet shipping.
2. Buying when it's already available to ship.

Set number one might guarantee you can get the product if it's going to be a hot seller.
oldschool

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 05:04:12 AM

I believe if you're traveling first class, the sooner you get on the plane, the sooner you can order drinks and food and recline back in your wonderful seat while the plane still sits at the gate.

Regarding pre-ordering, it's just a divsion of buying into two sets:

1. Buying when it's not yet shipping.
2. Buying when it's already available to ship.

Set number one might guarantee you can get the product if it's going to be a hot seller.

I also used to fly frequently for work, first class and business class, the benefit I saw to pre-boarding was room in the overhead.  I traveled so frequently that I'd just bring my laptop backpack and a small piece of luggage for 3 days worth of clothes.  Room in the overhead compartments fills quick.  Blankets and pillows also go quick.  And the quicker I got on the plane the quicker I could get comfortable and start working on the plane if I needed to.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: