Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:53:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin and Youth  (Read 2788 times)
Anonymous

June 01, 2011, 06:17:11 PM

I see an issue of Bitcoin potentially allowing youth to anonymously acquire harmful drugs. For instance, I am under the age of 18 but I was able to easily acquire a electronic e-cig vaporizer with Bitcoins, no questions ask. Now, this was relatively harmless in the scheme of things but seeing The SilkRoad and other sites, I imagine it being more dangerous in theory.

Should we just accept this as a tragedy of the commons or think of some solutions?
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 06:22:48 PM

It's the inevitable downside to an unregulated and untraceable currency.  Without fundamentally changing Bitcoin (and challenging the ideals of it), we have no choice but to accept the consequences.

EDIT:  But on the upside, maybe this will help parents become real parents again, instead of relying on the government to protect their children from anything the government deems "unsafe".
Litt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 06:41:47 PM

It's the inevitable downside to an unregulated and untraceable currency.  Without fundamentally changing Bitcoin (and challenging the ideals of it), we have no choice but to accept the consequences.

EDIT:  But on the upside, maybe this will help parents become real parents again, instead of relying on the government to protect their children from anything the government deems "unsafe".

It's the inevitable downside to a currency. We have no choice but to accept the consequences.

When you give you did $20 bucks, can you tell where he/she spent it?

I think the responsibility falls under the parents for controlling what their child is exposed to on the net. It's not the fault of the currency at all imo. This is a good thing just like you say having real parents again.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 06:45:31 PM

EDIT:  But on the upside, maybe this will help parents become real parents again, instead of relying on the government to protect their children from anything the government deems "unsafe".

It's the inevitable downside to a currency. We have no choice but to accept the consequences.

I think the responsibility falls under the parents for controlling what their child is exposed to on the net. It's not the fault of the currency at all imo. This is a good thing just like you say having real parents again.
I'd say even cash is a little more traceable.  You have banks that track the serial numbers on bills that come through.  You know when it was issued, and for how much.  You can gather DNA (?) or drug evidence from bills.  They can be marked (as some drug stores do, in order to help police track them in case of a robbery).

*shrug*
SlickTheNick

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 07:04:26 PM

I'd say even cash is a little more traceable.  You have banks that track the serial numbers on bills that come through.  You know when it was issued, and for how much.  You can gather DNA (?) or drug evidence from bills.  They can be marked (as some drug stores do, in order to help police track them in case of a robbery).

*shrug*

arnt one of the points of bitcoin the fact that its pretty much untraceable?

Looking for a way to get some bitcoins for free? Check out http://earnfreebitcoins.com !
Get easy bitcoins at  https://coincontroller.com?r=eaef398b5 !
Coma

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 07:19:19 PM

Being a BitCoin consultor for DEA or other goverment anti-drugs organizations will probably be an interesting and really well paid job.
lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2011, 07:20:13 PM

Attn Parents: Reconsider letting your teenage boy open that thick letter addressed to him that has come from another country.

carlerha

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 07:20:41 PM

This is inevitable of course. The problem lies not in what currency is used, but in what parenting is being done. Since the state took over the job as a parent (mandatory schooling from age 5) I don't guess Bitcoin can be blamed for under age drug use
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2011, 07:21:28 PM

Being a BitCoin consultor for DEA or other goverment anti-drugs organizations will probably be an interesting and really well paid job.
Yeah, for narcs.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
2_Thumbs_Up

Activity: 323
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 07:24:12 PM

arnt one of the points of bitcoin the fact that its pretty much untraceable?
This is a fallacy. Bitcoin is the most traceble currency ever. You can trace every single unit of bitcoins from the present to the point of creation. However, you can only trace it from one bitcoin adress to another. If you take the right steps to make sure that your adress can't be traced back to your person, then it's untraceable in the way that mathers.
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 07:38:23 PM

I think this is great and we'll have less idiots in the world. Kid, who swallows too many pills, doesn't live to reproduce. Darwin would be proud of Bitcoin
Anonymous

June 01, 2011, 07:40:27 PM

I think this is great and we'll have less idiots in the world. Kid, who swallows too many pills, doesn't live to reproduce. Darwin would be proud of Bitcoin
You're not human, are you?
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 07:42:04 PM

I see an issue of Bitcoin potentially allowing youth to anonymously acquire harmful drugs. For instance, I am under the age of 18 but I was able to easily acquire a electronic e-cig vaporizer with Bitcoins, no questions ask. Now, this was relatively harmless in the scheme of things but seeing The SilkRoad and other sites, I imagine it being more dangerous in theory.

Should we just accept this as a tragedy of the commons or think of some solutions?
This is a problem with bitcoin as a specific currency because?

It should be the responsibility of both you and the party selling you a regulated product, that the trade is possible.
mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 07:44:01 PM

I am a cat god damn it Grin There's even a picture
Besides, I don't think we are anymore special or important than any other species and rules of nature shouldn't be bent to accommodate the survival of the weakest/most stupid.
Anonymous

June 01, 2011, 07:58:02 PM

Besides, I don't think we are anymore special or important than any other species and rules of nature shouldn't be bent to accommodate the survival of the weakest/most stupid.
Of course but usually individual humans gain value from just the mere existence of other humans alone. A natural empathy is in order.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 08:02:38 PM

Wait. I can fix this.
Ok kids, nobody do any more drugs.
There, that should do it.

as far as I'm concerned this is not a bitcoin problem.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2011, 08:05:32 PM

Anthony Weiner doesn't recognize photos of his genitals. Chris Farley would be proud of him. Makes perfect sense.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2011, 08:08:50 PM

Parent to gov: Why can't I be free?!
gov: you might to drugs.

Child: Why can't I be free?!
everyone: you might do drugs.

Pass on the tyranny I guess.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 08:10:13 PM

Of course but usually individual humans gain value from just the mere existence of other humans alone. A natural empathy is in order.

Are you kidding me? What value?
Anonymous

June 01, 2011, 08:12:04 PM

Are you kidding me? What value?
Just being human can be considered a virtue, at least in my perspective.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: