Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:38:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2015-07-06] Blockchain.info Former Developer Launches Competing Bitcoin Wallet  (Read 648 times)
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 05:31:49 PM

Timothy Lee, a former software developer at Blockchain.info, has announced the launch of ArcBit, an open source bitcoin wallet that supports stealth addresses and promises to provide greater user privacy.

Lee, who had been working as a software developer at Blockchain.info for over a year, has left one of the hottest bitcoin startups to create his own product, naming a "difference in belief of what a bitcoin wallet should be" with his former employer.

http://cointelegraph.com/news/114763/blockchaininfo-former-developer-launches-competing-bitcoin-wallet
fcuk

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 08:51:47 PM

I think it'll have a tough job competing with bc.info as that is already a pretty solid wallet especially for an online one. Thjough it does seem more like a traditional wallet:

In this sense, Lee created ArcBit in such a way that all private keys stay on the clients’ device; unlike Blockchain.info, which stores encrypted copy of the wallet on their servers.

"So you can think of ArcBit as a true bitcoin wallet, whereas Blockchain.info is a safety deposit box for your bitcoins - where the user has the key but Blockchain.info [doesn't] -and Coinbase is the bank for your bitcoins," he explained.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 08:55:59 PM

it great to have a wallet with its benefit being private transactions. i forgot the name, but there was another wallet which also promises to give us more privacy.
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 10:28:37 PM

I like the sound of this project. Hopefully a safer and more private online wallet to blockchain.info. The stealth address would be useful to have. If they support a direct import of blockchain.info json backup file, I think a lot of bitcoin users will try them.

it great to have a wallet with its benefit being private transactions. i forgot the name, but there was another wallet which also promises to give us more privacy.

DarkWallet, it said so in the link
Gervais

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 12:25:53 PM

Blockchain.info is fine for me currently and works well as my wallet to make small purchases, but to keep the bulk of my 'savings' coins I'd rather just use a desktop wallet and keep them offline. I'm sure blockchain.info will add any new features that this one has over it though as to keep up the competition.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 12:38:34 PM

Anybody tested it?

Blockchain.info is fine for me currently and works well as my wallet to make small purchases, but to keep the bulk of my 'savings' coins I'd rather just use a desktop wallet and keep them offline. I'm sure blockchain.info will add any new features that this one has over it though as to keep up the competition.

Blockchain.info first need to correct their "bug-committing" behavior.

Kyt Dotson

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 11:11:36 PM

Interesting. I am curious about the stealth address angle and how it's supposed to work. I will read up soon.

SiliconANGLE: Bitcoin Weekly (My weekly column)
Read Black Hat Magick - not your ordinary detective agency - geeky fiction
BTC: 13MPMB6wU9j9RcqFRsubtngmtmvh3guZGp
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: