Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 05:11:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Staunch Libertarian Friend of mine suggested society only needs 2 laws  (Read 617 times)
Gemdealer (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 07:31:43 AM

I wonder could a society survive and function well if it had these two laws:

1. Do as you said you would.
2. Do not impinge on private property or person.

All infringements of these laws should be decided by Jury.

It seemed very simplistic and daft at first, but now I have thought about it a lot more I can see what he means.

There certainly does seem to be too much government and too many laws.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 1373

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 12:17:43 PM

Those laws are not two. They are one. They have to do with not harming another person's property.

If you say something, and then break what you say, you have harmed another person who is depending on what you said, just as though you had harmed his body-property or other property.

There are two laws. They are the Golden Rule.
1. Love God above all things.
2. Love your neighbor as yourself.

If you don't believe in God, then you are damaging your family.

If you love your fellow human beings as yourself, you will attempt to do good for them in every way, not just by your agreements and contracts, nor simply by not harming their property directly, but in every way.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
Gervais

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 01:09:31 PM

Those laws are not two. They are one. They have to do with not harming another person's property.

If you say something, and then break what you say, you have harmed another person who is depending on what you said, just as though you had harmed his body-property or other property.

I think this is what most laws should be based on. If something doesn't harm, hurt or endanger someone else then it shouldn't be a crime ie drugs etc. I think there are too many laws but I don't think society would function very well with just two or even a handful.

There are two laws. They are the Golden Rule.

If you don't believe in God, then you are damaging your family.

You only need the second one as god doesn't have anything to do with anyone, but still not sure whether you're a troll or not  Huh
Tusk

Activity: 444
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 04:12:40 PM

Two laws are good for me
1) Do unto others as you would have them do to you. I.e. mutual respect and tolerance.
2) In all actions first ask yourself, if everyone on the planet does what you about to do, would the planet be better off.

From the ashes rises the Phoenix. Viva the block chain, Viva BitCoin!
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 05:48:30 PM

Two laws are good for me
1) Do unto others as you would have them do to you. I.e. mutual respect and tolerance.
2) In all actions first ask yourself, if everyone on the planet does what you about to do, would the planet be better off.
+1 but I would add it's our ethical duty to protect the free flow of information, especially for those beneath us in any information hierarchy.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Tusk

Activity: 444
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 05:54:08 PM

IMO the first tenant covers that

Edit, so does the second

From the ashes rises the Phoenix. Viva the block chain, Viva BitCoin!
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 8266

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 06:03:25 PM

Two laws are good for me

2) I am about to unwatch this thread... yeah it's best for the planet.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 11:46:53 PM

How much does it cost to be part of that jury?
If I make some toxic nuclear waste in my backyard, is it OK if I dump it on a public beach?
If I have sex in the middle of street, then get drunk, is this OK?

The system you propose may work on a deserted island with only 2 people, but I don't think it would be appropriate for New York City.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 02:03:44 AM

It seemed very simplistic and daft at first, but now I have thought about it a lot more I can see what he means.

There certainly does seem to be too much government and too many laws.

It would certainly put a lot of lawyers out of business.  Grin
Wouldn't all copyrights, patents, etc. be left unprotected if we didn't have explicit laws?
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 03:00:08 AM

One concept is only needed: Do no harm. This covers every base. Mind your own business goes far too.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 04:25:51 AM

The #1 rule has killed more people in the world, than Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, and Mao combined. Organizations such as the Islamic State and the New Tribes Mission are conducting genocide and ethnocide, all for the love of god. A world without the god and its followers will be a more peaceful place to live on.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: