Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:09:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USD/EUR dead cat bounce?  (Read 719 times)
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1013

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 04:19:13 PM

I need a certain amount of money to be held in fiat but as I see EUR dropping against USD I am losing confidence in holding euros. The USD/EUR chart looks more and more like a dead cat bounce before next downward fall that could bring us to 1:1 relation between USD and EUR. I started to think that it would make sense to buy bitcoins for most of my EUR reserves and then buy nubits for the bought bitcoins because 1 NBT is pegged to 1 USD. That way I am safe from bank raids and also get to keep my wealth in USD rather than in falling EUR. When I need to use that wealth I can quickly convert the nubits back to bitcoins and bitcoins back to euros and use them locally.

But, what's the general opinion? Is EUR indeed experiencing a dead cat bounce?

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 04:27:37 PM

it seems on a heavy downtrend, it was 1.11 just few days ago, i'm embracing this whole falling by leveraging like crazy on forex market

i only own euro for mandatory purchase that cannot be bough with bitcoin here on my country, otherwise i have everything in bitcoin since ages

p.s. it is also falling against jpy and everything else
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 04:37:13 PM

American's tourist are loving the EURO being low, the question is how much will that boost tourism into Europe and what would happen is Greece leaves indeed the Eurozone with no bailout money.

Hyena (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 04:40:28 PM

The shitty thing is that my work contract is for euros. Since the beginning of 2015 EUR has fallen ~10% against USD. It's a significant fall in the salary. I might need to demand a raise soon just to protect myself from being ripped off and laughed at behind my back.

melody82

Activity: 378
Merit: 257

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 04:41:44 PM

I think there is a good chance that the Euro goes south for the next 3 months or so, but Europe has a strong economy so long term I believe the currency will be solid.
Miracal

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 04:49:35 PM

Euro has been into the light for a lot of wrong reasons at the time being, which will obviously reflect negative things about it making it drop and lose power in the market. The results will be there for the next 2 months where there is very less or no activity regarding it, despite whatever the media reports. Considering the strength the euro has and the backing by the strong countries, I won't be surprised watching it regain its position 'soon'.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 04:51:17 PM

When the Euro reaches a value of 0 then one can determine if it was a dead cat bounce. it must lose all value or be de-listed on the markets. However the term is a stock term and does not really apply to the currency market.

The closest example I could find in a currency is the German mark of the 1920's. There was a little bounce in late 1923, then it fell off the map. See the data below (although the bounce is hard to see in the data the way it's displayed.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2015, 04:57:04 PM

When the Euro reaches a value of 0 then one can determine if it was a dead cat bounce. it must lose all value or be de-listed on the markets. However the term is a stock term and does not really apply to the currency market.

The closest example I could find in a currency is the German mark of the 1920's. There was a little bounce in late 1923, then it fell off the map. See the data below (although the bounce is hard to see in the data the way it's displayed.

So would you rather coin a new term for a currency having a short rise between two giant falls?

Even if the dead cat bounce is conceptually a wrong term used in this context, at least people will quickly understand about what threat I am talking about.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 05:31:51 PM

So would you rather coin a new term for a currency having a short rise between two giant falls?

Even if the dead cat bounce is conceptually a wrong term used in this context, at least people will quickly understand about what threat I am talking about.
And I did know what you meant. I guess I'm becoming a word Nazi since this term keeps expanding in meaning. A true DCB happens to a stock just before dropping to zero and/or being de-listed. The cat has to die, not just drop in value. That would be a market correction, crash, dip, etc.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 07, 2015, 05:39:42 PM

I would expect the EUR to keep falling given all the controversy with greece and considering it's only one country and more may lead, this only has begun. Like poster above said, it's not technically a dead cat bounce unless you think it's going to 0. But if you think about it, all fiats should eventually go to 0, since they are based on a fundamentally flawed system destined to collapse. I doubt it will happen soon tho.
JarvisTechnology

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 07:41:48 PM

the EUR  controversy is going on thesedays . People are losing faith over that currency . But i believe , eurozone is a strong clan , and yes it did get the blow , but it won't be long untilit has fully recovered from the crisis.And hence EUR is not a dead cat according to me.It's in a dormant stage, it needs to get active. That's all.

Hyena (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2015, 07:53:25 PM

the EUR  controversy is going on thesedays . People are losing faith over that currency . But i believe , eurozone is a strong clan , and yes it did get the blow , but it won't be long untilit has fully recovered from the crisis.And hence EUR is not a dead cat according to me.It's in a dormant stage, it needs to get active. That's all.

Considering the political momentum in my country, many people wish to exit EU because EU tries to force immigrants into our country against the will of the nation. If nations start to quit from the union then it would definitely be bad for the EUR. Things are bad in EU, and they will get worse in 3 months. That's why I think this is a dead cat bounce.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: