Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:17:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-QT 0.10.2 crashes  (Read 1554 times)
vvic (OP)

Activity: 144
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 02:55:49 AM

So, I've upgraded to latest 0.10.2 version of bitcoin core wallet. And it keeps crashing. Brings that fancy error "do you want to send this error to Microsoft?" type deal. It is constantly crashing, crying that GUI stopped responding. At first I thought maybe blocks are corrupt, but no that part was fine. So I've studied MS error report log, read bitcoin-qt debug logs, and it turned out to be this bug in qt itself https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-29716
I've tried to run in 32bit color depth and no crashing. Why am I running in 16bit you may ask? Well I'm running full node, that server is on the rack has nothing connected to it but network, power and USB external drive. Software is windows XP sp3 and wallets (litecoin doesn't crash, might have used newer qt or something) Only reason I'm running it on XP is because I connect to it via RDP. VNC is not an option, XRDP is depressing, or I don't know how to set it up properly despite the docs I've read. Otherwise I'd run it on FreeBSD or Arch. So here is the question: is there a way to run bitcoin wallet as daemon in the background and do all full node thing, wallet stuff and have GUI part connect to it remotely from a different computer? That would be the best way and I wouldn't have to deal with *nix or XP gui

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1068

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 04:21:53 AM

Dude, WTF?

You didn't notice the "daemon" subdirectory and the "bitcoind.exe" there?

How retarded is that?

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
vvic (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 04:41:24 AM

that was not the question. the question was: can I run that daemon on one computer and GUI portion on the other computer and connect to daemon remotely so I could manage daemon using GUI remotely.  I am aware of console options, but this is not what I'm looking for here
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 06:32:43 AM

that was not the question. the question was: can I run that daemon on one computer and GUI portion on the other computer and connect to daemon remotely so I could manage daemon using GUI remotely.  I am aware of console options, but this is not what I'm looking for here
I'm sorry, but you are so flabbergasting, that I don't know what to say.

In effect you've asked "How can I make Microsoft Windows behave like X Windows or Wayland?".

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
vvic (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 01:45:20 PM

OMG! It has nothing to do with windows! I was asking about bitcoin client. You obviously have no experience with software like that. Some firewalls (sidewinder, watchguard) use that principle. You have GUI client that you install on windows/linux that connects to the firewall itself to configure it, and watch status. Again, it has nothing to do with desktop!  One more time: could I run bitcoin daemon (on freebsd for all that matters ) and use gui portion (on windows/linux/mac/pcbds) to view status or send/receive btc that connects to bitcoin daemon that runs on a separate hardware? It has nothing to do with VNC/RDP/XDMCP. You, sir, obviously do not know the answer otherwise instead of saying
In effect you've asked "How can I make Microsoft Windows behave like X Windows or Wayland?".
you would just said "no, this is not possible" or "yes, it is possible here is how you do it".
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 02:58:48 PM

OMG! It has nothing to do with windows! I was asking about bitcoin client. You obviously have no experience with software like that. Some firewalls (sidewinder, watchguard) use that principle. You have GUI client that you install on windows/linux that connects to the firewall itself to configure it, and watch status. Again, it has nothing to do with desktop!  One more time: could I run bitcoin daemon (on freebsd for all that matters ) and use gui portion (on windows/linux/mac/pcbds) to view status or send/receive btc that connects to bitcoin daemon that runs on a separate hardware? It has nothing to do with VNC/RDP/XDMCP. You, sir, obviously do not know the answer otherwise instead of saying
you would just said "no, this is not possible" or "yes, it is possible here is how you do it".
It is not possible with Bitcoin Core. You may be able to find some other software which is a gui that uses the RPC Server from the daemon as its backend.

Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 06:15:39 PM

You are absolutely right, I completely misunderstood your requirements and needs. I could never really understand the people who are afraid of the command prompt.

Since Bitcoin is an open source software it is possible and doable to do what you need. One way is to recompile the Qt on Windows not against the native windowing interface but against the X-windows emulation layer like PTC MKS Toolkit for Enterprise Developers (formerly NuTCRACKER). http://www.mkssoftware.com/ This is probably at most couple of days of work to rebuild it in that configuration. But who's going to use it, besides you?

vvic (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 09:20:14 PM

sigh. It has nothing to do with x emulation layer. Just move along, since you have nothing useful to say
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 03:18:24 AM

It has nothing to do with x emulation layer.
Yes it does, since it's the only tool that can do what you want. Are you even paying attention? What you're trying to do is completely unsupported. Bitcoin-Qt is not designed to work that way, nor can it easily be made to work that way under Windows.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
vvic (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 04:09:45 PM

again, has nothing to do with XDMCP. You obviously never dealt with such software. There is software that works sever-client way. Server runs as daemon and gui client runs as native application on windows.  Some environment software is like that. Heck, Metatrades is kind of like that.  Bitcoin daemon could have just dump JSON data, GUI portion could've connect to that port and get the data: show what transactions daemon did, how many BTCs you have in your wallet. Just get stats and such. But obviously it can't do that. And stop telling me about XDMCP, if I wanted it that way, I could've done that already. You obviously never used X-forward via ssh.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2015, 08:41:35 PM

0.11 updated QT.  You might see if it fixed the issue.

Please people; this person has a completely reasonable techsupport request.  Yes, I agree-- windows GUI is not the "right" way to do headless, but the software certantly shouldn't be crashing when run in 16 bit color mode!
vvic (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 11:16:07 PM

Thanks a lot! At least somebody offered help
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: