Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:03:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase sucks  (Read 2916 times)
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 12:09:53 PM

I know the size of the fee is a bit much but usually when you purchase something the money should really be there as most companies will take the money the same day immaterial of how long delivery takes.  These fees suck there is no justification to a $34 charge for anything digital currency related
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
runpaint

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 02:34:26 PM

Coinbase is the best way to buy Bitcoin that I have found.  It may not be perfect, but it's still the best way in the world that is available to me.

Meet somebody from Craigslist with a pocketful of cash?  No thanks.

Mail somebody from Brawker a gift card or something?  I tried that, at 10% higher than market value, it took just as long as Coinbase, and now Brawker is out of business. 

Yes, I thought Coinbase asked me to jump through a lot of hoops.  But where else is better?  I didn't want to send Cryptsy a mugshot video of myself holding my driver's license next to my face.  Where can I buy Bitcoin instantly with my checking account?

Fact:  Nobody wants to sell you Bitcoin when they don't know you, and when you can reverse the charges and keep the BTC.

Basically you're criticizing Coinbase for being the best in the world, because you think they should be even better.  Well, nobody else has come up with anything better than Coinbase, so criticize the other 7 billion people in the world before you criticize Coinbase. 

GoldenCryptoCommod.com
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 02:48:21 PM

Coinbase is more of a friendly website, for a person coming into bitcoin i think coinbase is one the best options out there for people to make a legit move from fiat to bitcoin.
chopstick
Legendary

Activity: 992

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 03:25:30 PM

Coinbase is convenient. But they are centralized. They monitor transactions and are known to freeze accounts on the slightest suspicions.

They banned me from using their service because I also have a localbitcoins account.

If you want to stay anonymous, use localbitcoins and buy from a cash deposit seller. You might have to pay 3-5% to buy in instead of 1% but that is just the price of staying anonymous and getting your coins instantly.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 04:13:00 PM

Coinbase is the best way to buy Bitcoin that I have found.  It may not be perfect, but it's still the best way in the world that is available to me.

Meet somebody from Craigslist with a pocketful of cash?  No thanks.

Mail somebody from Brawker a gift card or something?  I tried that, at 10% higher than market value, it took just as long as Coinbase, and now Brawker is out of business. 

Yes, I thought Coinbase asked me to jump through a lot of hoops.  But where else is better?  I didn't want to send Cryptsy a mugshot video of myself holding my driver's license next to my face.  Where can I buy Bitcoin instantly with my checking account?

Fact:  Nobody wants to sell you Bitcoin when they don't know you, and when you can reverse the charges and keep the BTC.

Basically you're criticizing Coinbase for being the best in the world, because you think they should be even better.  Well, nobody else has come up with anything better than Coinbase, so criticize the other 7 billion people in the world before you criticize Coinbase. 

Seriously, why are you using Bitcoin then? Just use cash. At least with cash Coinbase can't be tracking where you're spending your btc.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 04:33:20 PM

Seriously, why are you using Bitcoin then? Just use cash.

I can't create a backup of my cash.

I can't protect my cash with a password.

I can't transfer my cash to merchants that I want to do business with over the internet.

My cash will suffer the effects of supply inflation from the Fed overprinting it.

Carrying or storing large quantities of cash take up more space.

Cash is generally dirty and has an increased potential for carrying bacteria or a virus.

Do I need more reasons?
runpaint

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 04:38:03 PM

Seriously, why are you using Bitcoin then?

Here's a link where people talk about why they use Bitcoin:  bitcointalk.org

Just use cash.

I can't spend cash for Reddit Gold.  I can't spend cash at Fiverr.  I can spend Bitcoin at lots of places online without having to sign up, register, make an account, give them a credit card number, etc., but I can't send cash instantly to people online.

Bitcoin gives me an extra 1% rebate for all gift cards at Gyft, whereas they don't accept cash at all.

I can't spend cash at Cryptsy, Bittrex, C-Cex, Poloniex, Miningrigrentals, Alcurex, Allcoin, Cryptopia, Bter, or Btc-e.  But I spend Bitcoin at all those places.

I started participating in Folding@Home in 2007, and last year I started earning Curecoins for what I was already doing.  Curecoins led me to altcoin exchanges, and I wanted some bitcoins to use for buying altcoins, so I could trade them for more bitcoins, and then hold my increased amount of bitcoins as a long-term investment.

So I looked around online to find out how to get some bitcoins, and getting some bitcoins seemed almost impossible.  Most people would not have bothered doing what I did in order to buy bitcoins.  They would just say "Never mind, I can't figure out how to get anyone to take my money and give me bitcoins."

But I signed up with Coinbase and it's about as good as you could ask.  I buy bitcoins instantly, the money comes out of my bank account, and that's it.  It's actually faster than buying locally, since I don't have to wait for confirmations to receive the coins.  I can send them as soon as I buy them.  And of course I don't have to go meet someone locally, so that cuts another hour off the time it takes to buy.

GoldenCryptoCommod.com
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 09:14:38 PM

Seriously, why are you using Bitcoin then? Just use cash.

I've never lost cash in my life. I guess my money means too much to me to be careless with it.

I have a CCW. I protect mine with Smith & Wesson.

I can't transfer my cash to merchants that I want to do business with over the internet.

Debit Cards are electronic cash and come with fraud protection.

My cash will suffer the effects of supply inflation from the Fed overprinting it.

Bitcoins exchange rate can crash through the floor at any moment and you'll never know when.

See Debit Cards above.

Cash is generally dirty and has an increased potential for carrying bacteria or a virus.

Just like I tell my kids, don't touch your face when you touch a door handle at the mall and wash your hands before you eat.

Do I need more reasons?

I guess you do. LOL

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 09:20:24 PM

Seriously, why are you using Bitcoin then?

Here's a link where people talk about why they use Bitcoin:  bitcointalk.org

Just use cash.

I can't spend cash for Reddit Gold.  I can't spend cash at Fiverr.  I can spend Bitcoin at lots of places online without having to sign up, register, make an account, give them a credit card number, etc., but I can't send cash instantly to people online.

Bitcoin gives me an extra 1% rebate for all gift cards at Gyft, whereas they don't accept cash at all.

I can't spend cash at Cryptsy, Bittrex, C-Cex, Poloniex, Miningrigrentals, Alcurex, Allcoin, Cryptopia, Bter, or Btc-e.  But I spend Bitcoin at all those places.

I started participating in Folding@Home in 2007, and last year I started earning Curecoins for what I was already doing.  Curecoins led me to altcoin exchanges, and I wanted some bitcoins to use for buying altcoins, so I could trade them for more bitcoins, and then hold my increased amount of bitcoins as a long-term investment.

So I looked around online to find out how to get some bitcoins, and getting some bitcoins seemed almost impossible.  Most people would not have bothered doing what I did in order to buy bitcoins.  They would just say "Never mind, I can't figure out how to get anyone to take my money and give me bitcoins."

But I signed up with Coinbase and it's about as good as you could ask.  I buy bitcoins instantly, the money comes out of my bank account, and that's it.  It's actually faster than buying locally, since I don't have to wait for confirmations to receive the coins.  I can send them as soon as I buy them.  And of course I don't have to go meet someone locally, so that cuts another hour off the time it takes to buy.

Those are good reasons. I want you to use Bitcoin just like I do. I just want you to support businesses that support anonymity. I know it's more difficult and time consuming but if we reward those businesses that support anynomity and punish the ones that don't we can help to change the landscape of Bitcoin trading permanently. I don't believe Bitcoin exchanges belong in the United States of Americunt. I won't use any exchange located there.

wlefever
Legendary

Activity: 1173
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 09:28:22 PM

Coinbase is convenient. But they are centralized. They monitor transactions and are known to freeze accounts on the slightest suspicions.

They banned me from using their service because I also have a localbitcoins account.

If you want to stay anonymous, use localbitcoins and buy from a cash deposit seller. You might have to pay 3-5% to buy in instead of 1% but that is just the price of staying anonymous and getting your coins instantly.
This has been my general experience.  I have purchased many bitcoins from Coinbase with no problem. But, there have been a few instances where 1.) They cancelled my BTC buys for an unknown reason until I contacted to find out why (not for lack of funds) 2.) They would not let me send BTC out to an address I was making a purchase for through Escrow. Both times were very frustrating b/c I was in somewhat of a time constraint. Since then I have decided not to use them as my primary wallet which I shouldn't have been doing anyway...it was just, well, convenient.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 09:52:56 PM

I've never lost cash in my life. I guess my money means too much to me to be careless with it.

I've seen houses and cars burn with cash inside.  I've seen boats sink with cash inside.  I've seen the effects of tornadoes that have taken away cash.  Apparently you are just more fortunate that some people, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a good idea to be prepared.

Only if you stand guard and alert over your cash 24 hours a day.  I've got better and more productive things to do with my time.

No, are not electronic cash.  You are mistaken.

Bitcoins exchange rate can crash through the floor at any moment and you'll never know when.

It can, but I see more long term potential for it than in cash.  You don't?

See Debit Cards above.

See my answer above.

Just like I tell my kids, don't touch your face when you touch a door handle at the mall and wash your hands before you eat.

And when possible, don't touch cash.

Do I need more reasons?
I guess you do. LOL

Nah.  I'm happy enough with my reasons, and I don't need your approval.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 10:42:01 PM

I've seen houses and cars burn with cash inside.  I've seen boats sink with cash inside.  I've seen the effects of tornadoes that have taken away cash.  Apparently you are just more fortunate that some people, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a good idea to be prepared.

Only if you stand guard and alert over your cash 24 hours a day.  I've got better and more productive things to do with my time.

No, are not electronic cash.  You are mistaken.

It can, but I see more long term potential for it than in cash.  You don't?

See Debit Cards above.

See my answer above.

And when possible, don't touch cash.

Do I need more reasons?
I guess you do. LOL

Nah.  I'm happy enough with my reasons, and I don't need your approval.

LOL You crack me up dude. There are upsides to both and downsides to both. It's all personal choice. My favorate characteristic of Bitcoin is its ability to remain outside the control of government. Coinbase takes that away from me.

There are downsides to Bitcoin that hopefully will go away in the future. My boss won't pay me in bitcoins so I still need a bank account to cash my check. Hackers can infiltrate my computer and steal my bitcoins without me knowing it. Many of the businesses that deal with Bitcoin have been frauds or scams. Bitcoin needs a little more time in the oven but eventually it will help us overcome the oppression created when governments control the value of our labor. My government currently takes one and a half work days away from me for every five I work.

runpaint

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 11:19:46 PM

Those are good reasons. I want you to use Bitcoin just like I do. I just want you to support businesses that support anonymity. I know it's more difficult and time consuming but if we reward those businesses that support anynomity and punish the ones that don't we can help to change the landscape of Bitcoin trading permanently. I don't believe Bitcoin exchanges belong in the United States of Americunt. I won't use any exchange located there.

I'm ready, but everybody else isn't ready yet.  I live in Georgia, not very far from Atlanta, and I still haven't found a local merchant of any kind that accepts Bitcoin.  There are some within an hour's drive of me, but I haven't had a chance to visit them yet. 

I called the local Reeds Jewelers that was listed on a Bitcoin retailers list, but they had never heard of Bitcoin.  I didn't even want to buy any jewelry, I was just checking because I would like to buy something in person with Bitcoin.

I've offered my customers a discount to pay in Bitcoin, and none were interested.  I would like to accept my weekly wages in Bitcoin, but it's not an option available to me.  Instead of using ebay which has brought me thousands of dollars, I listed dozens of items at onewallet.io for Bitcoin; nobody bought any, the site disappeared, and I also haven't had any luck yet at the brand-new bitbay.com. 

I gave 30 Bitcoin gift certificates to friends and family for Christmas last year;  all they had to do was email me to get their bitcoins.  Only 2 people emailed me, and some of them just handed the paper back to me and said they weren't interested.

So it's not really an issue of which Bitcoin businesses I want to support, it's about supporting the few that even exist.

Hopefully after I've saved, traded, and invested enough, and after people start paying me with BTC instead of just taking my BTC, then I'll never need to buy BTC for fiat again.  But it's not there yet.

GoldenCryptoCommod.com
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 11:53:26 PM

I'm ready, but everybody else isn't ready yet.  I live in Georgia, not very far from Atlanta, and I still haven't found a local merchant of any kind that accepts Bitcoin.  There are some within an hour's drive of me, but I haven't had a chance to visit them yet. 

I called the local Reeds Jewelers that was listed on a Bitcoin retailers list, but they had never heard of Bitcoin.  I didn't even want to buy any jewelry, I was just checking because I would like to buy something in person with Bitcoin.

I've offered my customers a discount to pay in Bitcoin, and none were interested.  I would like to accept my weekly wages in Bitcoin, but it's not an option available to me.  Instead of using ebay which has brought me thousands of dollars, I listed dozens of items at onewallet.io for Bitcoin; nobody bought any, the site disappeared, and I also haven't had any luck yet at the brand-new bitbay.com. 

I gave 30 Bitcoin gift certificates to friends and family for Christmas last year;  all they had to do was email me to get their bitcoins.  Only 2 people emailed me, and some of them just handed the paper back to me and said they weren't interested.

So it's not really an issue of which Bitcoin businesses I want to support, it's about supporting the few that even exist.

Hopefully after I've saved, traded, and invested enough, and after people start paying me with BTC instead of just taking my BTC, then I'll never need to buy BTC for fiat again.  But it's not there yet.

True, it going to take some more time. I'm lucky that there is a very big Bitcoin community all around me. I never have to use an exchange and I buy my morning coffee with Bitcoin everyday. Atlanta is a fast growing tech community. It won't be long I'm sure.

runpaint

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 11:56:30 PM

Bitpay has headquarters in Atlanta, but apparently they don't have any clients in Atlanta. 

GoldenCryptoCommod.com
bitnanigans

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 01:45:56 PM

They've always sucked. They don't even have their office address listed on their website. The address they have is a mail forwarding service.
subwoofer12

Activity: 251
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 06:50:15 PM

That's a mail drop.

Ah, ok.  Not from San Francisco.  Never been there.  Didn't know.

Although, I have to say that I have worked for companies that had no office anywhere at all.  Just a mail drop, and all employees work out of their own houses.

I'm not saying that this is what Coinbase does, but it's worth considering that it's a possibility.

Lol. How has no one figured this out yet? I solved 'the mystery' in about 20 minutes. ( Google Earth <3 ) Here's a major hint:

Just look out the window at the buildings around them

The building with the slanted windows is One Sansome Street, and just from that I able to figure out their actual address.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 08:18:36 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2015, 09:12:43 PM by QuestionAuthority

That's a mail drop.

Ah, ok.  Not from San Francisco.  Never been there.  Didn't know.

Although, I have to say that I have worked for companies that had no office anywhere at all.  Just a mail drop, and all employees work out of their own houses.

I'm not saying that this is what Coinbase does, but it's worth considering that it's a possibility.

Lol. How has no one figured this out yet? I solved 'the mystery' in about 20 minutes. ( Google Earth <3 ) Here's a major hint:

Just look out the window at the buildings around them

The building with the slanted windows is One Sansome Street, and just from that I able to figure out their actual address.

Alright I'll go by Sansome and see if there are signs of them being there. I love that picture. No art and sitting on fold up patio furniture. lol

runpaint

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 09:14:01 PM

Isn't that just a generic corporate file photo showing intergender synergy and thinking outside the paradigm with a Macbook?

Nobody would really try to work turned sideways like that with both people on opposite sides of a table trying to look at the same screen.

But apparently Coinbase says they hired a professional photographer to take those photos, so maybe that's really their office.

GoldenCryptoCommod.com
subwoofer12

Activity: 251
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 09:50:44 PM

so maybe that's really their office.

I believe so. You can see these three buildings from the photos they posted

Instead of using ebay which has brought me thousands of dollars, I listed dozens of items at onewallet.io for Bitcoin; nobody bought any, the site disappeared, and I also haven't had any luck yet at the brand-new bitbay.com

Also I'd like to jump at the nice opportunity to promote my own website  Grin haha

My marketplace will be launching very soon, Would love to see you as a future member Wink
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: