Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:30:10 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sign a message with JoinMarket? Need to Sign to receive money?  (Read 724 times)
LDA (OP)

Activity: 87
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 05:03:57 PM

Hi guys,

I was reading about sign message (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0), and it's awesome. However I was unable to sign messages with JoinMarket tool that I used to create my wallet (it generated a total of 25 receive addresses - at least I guess).

Just to test I acquired a few USD of BTC and asked the seller to send to one of my addresses, however nothing appears once I list my wallet status. What am I missing? Need a sign a message and send to him?

Why sign a message is important? If I don't sign he can get my coins back?

Thanks.
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 05:52:34 PM

Never use JoinMarket before.
But in your case, looks like the seller is haven't yet to send the amount to your address or the seller have already send the amount but because the blockchain split, the amount is still "pending".

Sign message is important for you to make a transaction with someone, it's for prove your address is yours. If you want to make a trade with someone, don't forget to use an escrow or ask for sign message.
LDA (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 11:32:37 PM

Hi ikydesu,

Thanks.

You should give a try, JoinMarket sounds supper cool. Smiley

Hummm... there is no way to know if the sender really sent it, right?

Wow, this mess with mining is weird. I guess that I need to contact JoinMarket to discover if it uses last core version, but even if the old version I should be safe and just wait more confirmations, right?

BTW, where can I check confirmations?

If I understood well, sign message is requested in general for acquirer or seller? Sign message have no way to do a rollback, right? I mean, if the coins was "sent" with or without a sign message there is no way to undo, right?

Thanks.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 03:20:40 AM

Hi ikydesu,

Thanks.

Wow, this mess with mining is weird. I guess that I need to contact JoinMarket to discover if it uses last core version, but even if the old version I should be safe and just wait more confirmations, right?

BTW, where can I check confirmations?

If I understood well, sign message is requested in general for acquirer or seller? Sign message have no way to do a rollback, right? I mean, if the coins was "sent" with or without a sign message there is no way to undo, right?

Thanks.

you have got it all wrong.
you sign a message from your bitcoin address to prove that you are in fact the owner of that address. does not have anything to do with undoing the sent transaction!

for confirmation check your wallet or check the tx id on an online block explorer

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
LDA (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 05:43:03 AM

thank you.

And why i may want to give a proof that I'm the owner of the wallet?

Can you please give me an example of an online block explorer for any wallet value? What means tx id?

Thanks.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 06:12:51 AM

thank you.

And why i may want to give a proof that I'm the owner of the wallet?

Can you please give me an example of an online block explorer for any wallet value? What means tx id?

Thanks.

so we know that it is you that control the address and not an impostor

tx id mean transaction id it's a long number that identify the transaction
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 07:48:04 AM

Hi ikydesu,

Thanks.

Yes i know about the project, and they cool Smiley

You know the sender address? The sender is must show tx id to you. For example tx id: https://blockchain.info/tx/6e6828e9c03c998aa2b80a5c8c4d9fed69331c226074ae5747bc1971e1d60d94

Yes just wait the confirmation.

Thanks.

Sign message is only for prove the address is yours. Sent coins is don't need to sign message.
LDA (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 07:00:14 AM

Thanks Amph and ikydesu.

I understand, so sign message is optional. In general, when people ask to sign a message? When you buy BTC? When you sell BTC? Or when do you buy a product with BTC?

So every time that I do a transaction my wallet software generates a transaction id (tx id), right?

On this example of tx id: https://blockchain.info/tx/6e6828e9c03c998aa2b80a5c8c4d9fed69331c226074ae5747bc1971e1d60d94

This number is TX id 6e6828e9c03c998aa2b80a5c8c4d9fed69331c226074ae5747bc1971e1d60d94 correct?

This wallet 19ro4oQWS3RfVFtJRGRpaEBVuyPUoyzqi9 sent 0.0495 BTC, right?

It also display:

1NEA6ckomtrjVCbgXpYWQ1s6D38ECTwNF3 - (Spent) 0.0294 BTC
1B9Hbrcd9sSMg4acHBttjvYE9kucmNEG1k - (Spent) 0.02 BTC

Does it means that the guy that received the money already used 0.0296BTC?

What means the included blocks? Is it the main big blocked processed by miner pools with tons of transactions?

I see a huge number of confirmations. What happen if this name is small? What is a safe number?

Ohhh, now I understand how people track transactions, by wallet number you could see who send to who. Like this:

https://blockchain.info/address/19ro4oQWS3RfVFtJRGRpaEBVuyPUoyzqi9

Thanks.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2015, 07:38:38 AM

Thanks Amph and ikydesu.

I understand, so sign message is optional. In general, when people ask to sign a message? When you buy BTC? When you sell BTC? Or when do you buy a product with BTC?

There is no general case but people ask mostly when they suspect you are an impostor.

So every time that I do a transaction my wallet software generates a transaction id (tx id), right?

It's not your wallet software. Bitcoin transactions contains txid but is not generated by your wallet.

On this example of tx id: https://blockchain.info/tx/6e6828e9c03c998aa2b80a5c8c4d9fed69331c226074ae5747bc1971e1d60d94

This number is TX id 6e6828e9c03c998aa2b80a5c8c4d9fed69331c226074ae5747bc1971e1d60d94 correct?

I didn't understand what you mean by "number is txid". 6e6828e9c03c998aa2b80a5c8c4d9fed69331c226074ae5747bc1971e1d60d94 is txid of that transaction.

This wallet 19ro4oQWS3RfVFtJRGRpaEBVuyPUoyzqi9 sent 0.0495 BTC, right?

Yes and that is address, not wallet.

It also display:

1NEA6ckomtrjVCbgXpYWQ1s6D38ECTwNF3 - (Spent) 0.0294 BTC
1B9Hbrcd9sSMg4acHBttjvYE9kucmNEG1k - (Spent) 0.02 BTC

Does it means that the guy that received the money already used 0.0296BTC?

Those two addresses may not belong to same persons and yes, those coins were already spent. You can see the transaction which uses those outputs by clicking 'Spent'.

What means the included blocks? Is it the main big blocked processed by miner pools with tons of transactions?

A block is a set of transactions. Your transaction needs to be included in block or else, that transaction will be dropped and the receiver won't get Bitcoins you send. You can see confirmations in transaction details. 1 confirmation means it was included in a block, 2 confirmation means a block was generated over the previous block and so on.

I see a huge number of confirmations. What happen if this name is small? What is a safe number?

Less confirmations means less blocks were generated over the block this transaction was included. 6 confirmations are generally accepted confirmation number though 2-3 confirmations are probably enough. However, it depends on the party involved. But now, 30 confirmations are recommended because of the blockchain split.

Ohhh, now I understand how people track transactions, by wallet number you could see who send to who. Like this:

https://blockchain.info/address/19ro4oQWS3RfVFtJRGRpaEBVuyPUoyzqi9

Thanks.

Good.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: