Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:47:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We ARE under attack.. we NEED to act...  (Read 3956 times)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 11:41:16 PM

someone code it up and do a pull request.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8416

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 11:57:34 PM

It would be interesting to hear the reason why bitcoin developers turned down Lee's pull request to include litecoin's solution to the spam problem three years ago...
Bitcoin Core implemented something quite similar but better-- the dust limit, though it was later reduced in effectiveness by turning the limit ten times lower.  Of course, any kind of fee based discouragement for spamming isn't going to work if the fees are too low.

I say better because it actually addresses the root problem that it both were intended to address, the creation of utxo which cost the reciever more than they are worth to spend-- while the litecoin scheme leaves that attack open but makes it somewhat more costly.

Beyond seemingly forgetting the protections from Bitcoin copied into his own codebase (and disabled), Coblee seems to have forgotten history-- Litecoin's fee antispam was originally wacked; I pointed it out and posted a patch to fix it, and encouraged miners to apply it after none of the litecoin tech people seemed to care.  It was ignored until some jackass DOS attacked their network, then they blamed me for it, and applied the fix I suggested (though with lower fees).

The current attacks don't really have that much to do with low value outputs, the attacker doesn't seem to be trying to bloat the UTXO set-- actually last night the pattern changed after miner anti-attack-filter became effective at deprioritizing them, and they've been using larger amounts now.
interbtc

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 12:07:06 AM

scaling blocks would be the perfect solution. but that's an infinite discussion. Undecided
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 12:09:43 AM

Coblee has the answer, an elegant and simple fix...

"CT: Can you explain why Litecoin is ‘immune’ to the spam attack?

CL: The fix implemented in Litecoin is just to charge the sender a fee for each tiny output he creates. For example, in this specific attack, the sender is charged one fee for sending to 34 tiny outputs of 0.00001 BTC. With the fix, that fee would be 34 times as much. So it would cost the attacker a lot more to perform the spam attack. The concept is fairly simple: the sender should pay for each tiny output he/she creates."

I hate litecoin to be honest, but in this case i believe Coblee is correct. 23 000 of unconfirmed transactions, and 42382.330078125 (KB) ..
blockchain.info freezes just by me thinking of opening it and so on..

And meanwhile in bitcoin development:

Real nice move bitcoin, real nice..

This is where the "Bitcoin Purists" need to admit they were wrong that "there can only be one crypto" and give credit where credit is due. Charlie (coblee) was right from 3 years ago when this spam attack happened. I remember the spam attack when it happened and the fee structure to discourage attacks has worked very nicely to date.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 12:13:23 AM

I traced the attacks to my alt-coin mining operation last year to Panama and Switzerland, they went to a lot of trouble to screw me out of $5 worth of doge.

Any idea where these attacks are originating from?
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8416

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 12:24:37 AM

scaling blocks would be the perfect solution. but that's an infinite discussion. Undecided
One cannot address a crapflood attack by permantly accepting more crap for all time.

This is where the "Bitcoin Purists" need to admit they were wrong that "there can only be one crypto" and give credit where credit is due. Charlie (coblee) was right from 3 years ago when this spam attack happened. I remember the spam attack when it happened and the fee structure to discourage attacks has worked very nicely to date.
Are you talking about when he stopped ignoring my advice that his slavish copying of Bitcoin's code broke the existing anti-attack mechenisms and rendered them completely and totally ineffectial?-- and applied a patch I provided?  I'm surprised you'd forget that-- because

Go actually look at the litecoin repository. You'll see almost nothing but miles of them copying code from Bitcoin Core.

As mentioned above... We have almost the same protection in Bitcoin being mentioned here; but the attacker is just paying enough to avoid it (partially because it was subsiquently turned too low in anticipation of higher Bitcoin prices); and the latest volly of attack transactions  don't even involve very small payments.

I realize that you're a long time litecoin advocate; but seriously-- pick a argument that actually makes sense.  Otherwise it's just embarassing.

I traced the attacks to my alt-coin mining operation last year to Panama and Switzerland, they went to a lot of trouble to screw me out of $5 worth of doge.

Any idea where these attacks are originating from?
A big chunk of them originate from this transaction: 3bad15167c60de483cd32cb990d1e46f0a0d8ab380e3fc1cace01afc9c1bb5af  if you can figure out whos exchange withdraw this-- since this key immediately began making the attack txn itself is you may have some very concrete evidence about whos attacking here.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 12:50:52 AM

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere already, but: approximately how much does an attack like this cost?

i think it only cost them time if they are constantly spamming their own addresses. otherwise it would be too costly if they plan to make a long lasting attack.
Klestin

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 01:28:44 AM

This discussion is fine but the truth is that bitcoin is not usable at this time. Talking without action is for nothing..

Few days more and bitcoin will go to shit.

What are you talking about?  I've noticed exactly zero impact of the spammers to any of my transactions this week.  Perhaps you're not including a proper transaction fee?
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 01:54:38 AM

seems to have forgotten history-- Litecoin's fee antispam was originally wacked;

it was in cointelegraph though, so it must be right

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 02:06:17 AM

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere already, but: approximately how much does an attack like this cost?

i think it only cost them time if they are constantly spamming their own addresses. otherwise it would be too costly if they plan to make a long lasting attack.

How much do you think fees would have to increase to make this kind of attack prohibitively expensive for even the most deep-pocketed evil-doers?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
lucaspm98

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 02:22:06 AM

Go ahead, sir.

That's a little easier said then done!
David Rabahy

Activity: 709
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 02:24:10 AM
Last edit: July 10, 2015, 01:19:10 PM by David Rabahy

If the deepest pocket (bottomless?), the US Feds, wanted to spam Bitcoin into oblivion how much would it take?  Won't US dollar inflation eventually kick in?  Won't the miners force the spammer to pay more for fresh/recycled Bitcoins to keep the spam going?
PolarPoint

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 02:50:02 AM

This is not a fix. Attacker can spam with larger amounts like sending 0.01btc to hundreds of addresses, move them around and group them only to start the cycle again. Charging more fee to small amounts will not stop this kind of spam. If we want to go down the increase-fee route, we have to increase fee for all transactions.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 02:55:46 AM

Go ahead, sir.

That's a little easier said then done!

well apparently according to gmaxwell, if I understood him correctly, all is well and good.  no need to change anything regarding spam.

mezmerizer9

Activity: 782

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 06:10:29 AM

The problem will fix itself once we increase the blocksize. We should have done this as the technology grows but we're limited by politic policy (great wall of China)

What you noobs dont understand is the attack gets extremely expensive with 8mb or 20mb blocksize.

The "fix" by Lee is not good. It might work for litecoin as its only used for dust transaction anyway. But Bitcoin aims for more than that, such fee structure would limit btc expansion in other application of blockchain.

Great! The spam transactions without suffice fees included will later or never get confirmed. So as the normal transactions included minimum fees will get confirmed soon! So what do u still worry about?

█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████?7?3████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution       

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation 

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

Outlander
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 06:20:54 AM

This is not a fix. Attacker can spam with larger amounts like sending 0.01btc to hundreds of addresses, move them around and group them only to start the cycle again. Charging more fee to small amounts will not stop this kind of spam. If we want to go down the increase-fee route, we have to increase fee for all transactions.
Please do a little reading on the provided link before posting this none sense questions. The suggestion is that fees is charged for every single output, no matter how high the input amount is! If you split into 10 small outputs, you will be charged 10 times of standard fees.

lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 06:29:40 AM

If the deepest pocket (bottomless?), the US Feds, wanted to do spam Bitcoin into oblivion how much would it take?
Why will the US do this kind of insane things? US could just take the advantage of bitcoin, regulate and tax it.They benefit from it and wouldn't lose anything.

Won't US dollar inflation eventually kick in? 
Yes, it will increase year by year.

Won't the miners force the spammer to pay more for fresh/recycled Bitcoins to keep the spam going?
No, actually! But the spammer's transactions will be avoided or delayed by miners.
PenguinFire

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

That Darn Cat

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 06:36:12 AM

The fees must go up or some measure to kill spamers.

Larger blocks does not prevent spammers.....

I don't understand this.  So, if the transaction fees go up it prevents spamming?  This has been a largely discussed topic in the past weeks yet everyone is talking above my head.  Sad

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 08:20:31 AM

The fees must go up or some measure to kill spamers.

Larger blocks does not prevent spammers.....

I don't understand this.  So, if the transaction fees go up it prevents spamming?  This has been a largely discussed topic in the past weeks yet everyone is talking above my head.  Sad

not it's a bad thing, low fee is one of the advantages of bitcoin, they should stay low, and always customizable, if i want to pay zero fees and wait days for my confirmation, i want to do it, i want complete freedom with bitcoin
ragi

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 08:23:04 AM

not it's a bad thing, low fee is one of the advantages of bitcoin, they should stay low, and always customizable, if i want to pay zero fees and wait days for my confirmation, i want do it, i want complete freedom with bitcoin
Yes! So much yes. Making high fee mandatory is just plain stupid. I should be in control always.

no.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: