Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:14:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How easy is it to brute force an electrum wallet password?  (Read 1439 times)
mcplums (OP)

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 09:40:30 PM

Hello hello,

I'm just wondering how strong, or how many 'bits of entropy' as you chaps like to say, my electrum wallet password should be.

If my password was just a dictionary word, would that make it trivial, or is it still a major undertaking to crunch all dictionary words?

Thanks chaps!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 10:28:04 PM

Electrum wallet or email account, it doesn't matter, a password is a password is a password.  Check out https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm, might help you out.

Real words are about the easiest passwords to break, but ultimately is has to do with the characters that make up the password.

As ever, google has all the aswers: https://www.google.com/search?q=brute+force+password+time
CryptKeeper
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 08:39:15 AM

Hello hello,

I'm just wondering how strong, or how many 'bits of entropy' as you chaps like to say, my electrum wallet password should be.

If my password was just a dictionary word, would that make it trivial, or is it still a major undertaking to crunch all dictionary words?

Thanks chaps!

Extracted from their wiki at http://electrum.orain.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#How_secure_is_the_seed.3F

How secure is the seed?
The seed created by Electrum has 128 bits of entropy. This means that it provides the same level of security as a Bitcoin private key (of length 256 bits). Indeed, an elliptic curve key of length n provides n/2 bits of security.

Follow me on twitter! I'm a private Bitcoin and altcoin hodler. Giving away crypto for free on my Twitter feed!
mcplums (OP)

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 09:29:12 AM

Hello hello,

Thanks chaps!

Extracted from their wiki at http://electrum.orain.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#How_secure_is_the_seed.3F

How secure is the seed?
The seed created by Electrum has 128 bits of entropy. This means that it provides the same level of security as a Bitcoin private key (of length 256 bits). Indeed, an elliptic curve key of length n provides n/2 bits of security.

I don't think the seed has anything to do with this? I'm talking specifically about my electrum wallet password- NOT my seed.

My question is, if someone gets a hold of my wallet for whatever reason, how easy is it for them to brute force it?

Re the first response, you are surely incorrect- brute forcing takes a different amount of time depending on what you want to brute force? I suppose the specific question I am asking is: on a reasonably powerful computer, how many microseconds does it take to test one password? If a billion can be tested per second that's a problem- but if ten can be, that's not.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 11:37:12 PM

My question is, if someone gets a hold of my wallet for whatever reason, how easy is it for them to brute force it?

I believe it's not really designed to withstand brute forcing from an attacker. Just a single pass of AES 256. Bitcoin core, for example, does a variable number of passes depending on how much CPU power you have.

Bitdonator
Legendary

Activity: 1223
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 09:27:45 AM

It depends on what kind of variation of characters your password is.

And on what kind of pc/computer (quick/slow) the atatcker has.
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 01:17:40 PM

Hello hello,

Thanks chaps!

How secure is the seed?

I don't think the seed has anything to do with this? I'm talking specifically about my electrum wallet password- NOT my seed.

Re the first response, you are surely incorrect- brute forcing takes a different amount of time depending on what you want to brute force? I suppose the specific question I am asking is: on a reasonably powerful computer, how many microseconds does it take to test one password? If a billion can be tested per second that's a problem- but if ten can be, that's not.

We are talking about billions of pw per second depending on the hardware.

The average time depends on characters used, lenght of password, repititions etc

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌