Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:46:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Reason Bitcoin Price Fluctuates That Nobody Talks About  (Read 1213 times)
BitProdigy (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 114

We Are The New Wealthy Elite, Gentlemen

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 12:07:59 AM

Because the value of a dollar fluctuates.

I've noticed that, just like when we just dropped from $280 to $260, the timing corresponds with an increase in the strength of the dollar. And in other times when the strength in the dollar decreases, the price of bitcoin goes up.

We have to recognize that we are measuring the value of bitcoin against a currency whose value fluctuates from time to time. If $1 buys you a loaf of bread today, and $5 buys you one loaf of bread tomorrow, then then it follows that 1 BTC will be worth more $$ tomorrow. I don't know why nobody talks about this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cryptasm
Legendary

Activity: 997
Merit: 1002

Gamdom.com

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 01:56:45 AM

Yea You are Right but its not the Main reason of btc fluctuating
nicked

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 02:44:11 AM

I think China did devalue the Yuan today.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 03:36:29 AM

I wish it were as simple as trading the USD/JPY or EUR/USD pairs that have good inverse correlations, but it doesn't work that way. Not usually.

The blue box is a signal to trade something else

BitProdigy (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 05:16:02 AM

I wish it were as simple as trading the USD/JPY or EUR/USD pairs that have good inverse correlations, but it doesn't work that way. Not usually.

Actually that looks like a pretty good correlation. If you look at 7 -14 btc goes up as USD goes down until 7-22, then BTC goes down as EUSD goes up, for most of that graph they are almost perfect mirror images of each other which is what you would expect to see if I am correct.

Of course there are other factors that play into the price of BTC, it is not only a reaction to variation in the value of the currency it is measured in, of course big buys and big sells, rallies etc. occur and affect the BTC price, but I think this graph shows that another lesser known factor is just the simple variation in the value of the fiat currency we measure the BTC price in.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 06:02:32 AM

Actually that looks like a pretty good correlation. If you look at 7 -14 btc goes up as USD goes down until 7-22, then BTC goes down as EUSD goes up, for most of that graph they are almost perfect mirror images of each other which is what you would expect to see if I am correct.

Of course there are other factors that play into the price of BTC, it is not only a reaction to variation in the value of the currency it is measured in, of course big buys and big sells, rallies etc. occur and affect the BTC price, but I think this graph shows that another lesser known factor is just the simple variation in the value of the fiat currency we measure the BTC price in.

The vertical lines inside the big box on the upper chart has a certain amount of correlation, but I think a big reason for that was the Greek issues. Outside of that box, I think it's arguable that there isn't enough consistency to even try to use the Eur/USD pair as any kind of indicator of Bitcoin movements.
Upper==BTC/CYN
Lower==EUR/USD

The vertical lines are based on Bitcoin highs and lows that didn't fall on weekends.

BitProdigy (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 06:42:52 AM

The vertical lines inside the big box on the upper chart has a certain amount of correlation, but I think a big reason for that was the Greek issues. Outside of that box, I think it's arguable that there isn't enough consistency to even try to use the Eur/USD pair as any kind of indicator of Bitcoin movements.

To clarify: What I am claiming is that when USD *drops* we should see a corresponding *rise* in bitcoin. This is because the purchasing power or value of USD has fallen, it therefore takes more USD to purchase bread milk and bitcoin. Also if USD *rises* we should see a corresponding *drop* in btc.

So as it seems from your comment you are looking for a correspondence in BTC rise with USD rise, and correspondence in BTC drop with USD drop, what you should really be looking for is a mirror image if I am right. With a USD rise you should see a BTC drop, and with a USD drop you should see a BTC rise.

Considering this, it seems the chart shows VERY good correspondence every on the chart EXCEPT in the blue box.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:11:01 AM

I thought the price pattern was always;
If I need to sell, price drops
When I need to buy, price rises.
It's simple
glorytime

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 11:10:19 AM

It's simple

That's how it works for me too.  I'm the perfect indicator, lol. 

sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 02:34:36 PM

I should have a few quid to spare next month, I expect to see a sharp rise end of august Smiley

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Mudd

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 02:41:31 PM

Because the value of a dollar fluctuates.

This isn't why. It's just basic supply and demand, though it's the value of bitcoin in fiat that fluctuates as bitcoin is always worth one btc. Hopefully one day we wont peg fiat to bitcoin but maybe the other way round  Grin

saving my address 1E3UT9eVi5MobByYwwfTcQh6RbXBbQjyyD
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 04:48:51 PM

Why would anyone think the Bitcoin market reacts to the global daddies for any other reason than sentiment?

The amount of people who could send it to the stars or the depths of hell would probably all fit on the top floor of a bus. Get real.
Scaccomatt0
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

https://cryptoworld.io

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 05:13:11 PM

It's simple
this is a postulate Smiley

████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
               ______
          __███████████████_      █████         █████          █████           █████
       _█████████████████████      █████         █████        █████           █████
     _███████¯¯¯     ¯¯██████       █████         █████      █████           █████
   _██████¯            ¯████¯        █████         █████    █████           █████
  ██████¯                             █████          ██████████            █████
 ██████                               █████          ██████████            █████
 █████                                 █████         ██████████            █████
█████                                  █████          ████████            █████
█████                                  █████           ██████             █████
█████                                  █████           ██████             █████
█████                                  █████           ██████            █████    
█████                                   █████          ██████          █████    
 █████                                  █████          ██████          █████
 ██████                                 █████          ██████        █████
  ██████_                                █████         ██████        █████
   ¯██████_            _████_            █████        ████████       █████
     ¯███████___     __██████            █████      █████  █████     █████
       ¯█████████████████████             █████    █████    █████   █████
          ¯¯███████████████¯               ████████████      ███████████
               ¯¯¯¯¯¯                      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯         ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
|

FAUCET
ICO
ANDROID

████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
Dilla

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 05:33:26 PM

Yea one of many factors. Way to go Sherlock
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:01:00 PM

I would guess you are right about the dollar's relationship to price. But i think it would be easy to overstate this effect. Bitcoin is traded around the world for various currencies and even currencies that are mostly cut off from the dollar.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: