Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 10:44:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: black Friday:human right crisis in china  (Read 8115 times)
msc_de (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 01:36:59 AM

msc_de (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 09:20:52 PM

I googled the last person and found little. The first page that seems to apply to that Gao Yue is https://www.amnesty.org/en/press-releases/2015/08/china-list-of-lawyers-and-activists-targeted/ which goes to a "Page does not exist" error.

Yahoo and Google do not seem to favor publicizing the issue.

i only got update and quicker information on twitter, quite a lot in chinese
msc_de (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 10:17:20 PM

Four Activists Held in China's Guangdong Over Lawyer Campaign T-Shirts

2015-09-01 

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/tshirts-09012015105022.html

Authorities in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong are holding four netizens amid a nationwide crackdown on rights lawyers and activists after one posted a photo of themselves wearing a T-shirt calling for the release of detained attorney Wang Yu.

Liu Yajie is currently being held on suspicion of "picking quarrels and stirring up trouble," her lawyer told RFA.

Police have also detained fellow activists Liu Jinlian, Huang Xi, Wei Xiaobing and Huang Yongxiang, but their whereabouts were still unknown by Tuesday evening, when repeated calls to their personal cell phones resulted in a "switched off" message.

The four were detained after gathering at Liu's home on Friday, and taken to the nearby Yongxin police station in Xintang district of Guangdong's Zengcheng city.

"I went to Yongxin police station in Zengcheng this morning," Liu's lawyer Liu Zhengqing told RFA on Tuesday. "According to the police officers there, Liu Yajie is already under criminal detention."

"[They said] they didn't initiate this case, because they haven't the power to do that," he said. "It was initiated by the state security police in [provincial capital] Guangzhou," he said.

"They told me that she is now being held in the Zengcheng detention center."

Liu Zhengqing said he held a very brief meeting with Liu Yajie later on Tuesday, that was tightly controlled by police.

"I hadn't expected that my meeting with Liu Yajie would only last two minutes," he said. "A police officer came into the meeting room and told Liu Yajie to leave, and when I asked why, he said he was terminating the meeting."

Detention center authorities sometimes limit or deny access to lawyers on the basis that the meeting will "harm state security," but the public order charge of "picking quarrels and stirring up trouble" isn't in that category.

"When I went to ask the duty officer why this had happened, he told me they had just had a notice through from the state security police in Zengcheng city saying that Liu Yajie was to be denied visits from her lawyer," Liu Zhengqing said.

He added: "But this is a regular criminal case, and there's no need for approval from the state security police."

"I don't think we have to march to the beat of their drum."

Guangdong-based rights activist Liu Sifang, who is a close friend of Liu Yajie, said she had been a vocal and enthusiastic participant in civil society and had helped out in a number of civil rights cases.

"She is a single mother with a daughter, and we don't know at the moment just who is taking care of the child," Liu Sifang said.

"Any citizen or any person with any conscience at all, who loves justice, would want to speak out in support of those unjustly detained lawyers," Liu Sifang said.

Recent crackdown

As of Aug. 28, at least 277 lawyers, paralegals and assistants and other activists or family members had been detained, placed under house arrest or otherwise had their movements restricted in an ongoing crackdown, the Hong Kong-based China Human Rights Lawyers Concern Group (CHRLCG) said in a statement on its website.

Nineteen people, including 12 lawyers, remain in criminal detention or are being held under "residential surveillance" in undisclosed locations, which is associated with a high risk of torture and mistreatment, rights groups say.

The crackdown began with the midnight detention of top rights attorney Wang Yu, her husband and son, as well as fellow rights lawyers and other employees of the Beijing-based Fengrui law firm on July 9-10.

Several lawyers have since been released from detention or questioning but have been prevented from leaving the country, the CHRLCG said.

A friend of the four Zengcheng activists, who gave only his surname Zhou, said he believed their detentions were linked to a T-shirt they had printed with Wang Yu's photograph on it, calling for the lawyers' release.

He said activists are still being detained across China for engaging in similar activities.

"In the past couple of days, friends of mine in Sichuan have been taken down to the police station and questioned," Zhou said.

"They all had to 'drink tea' [with state security police], and were questioned for several hours."

The police officers told them they were being questioned in connection with a parcel sent from Guangdong, Zhou said.

He said one of the parcels had been sent using Liu Yajie's ID card, and likely contained printed T-shirts in support of Wang Yu.

"We still don't know exactly who organized these T-shirts," Zhou said.

Reported by Xin Lin for RFA's Mandarin Service, and by Wen Yuqing for the Cantonese Service. Translated and written in English by Luisetta Mudie.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 11:47:26 PM

I do consider those fighting for human rights in China to be heros and much stronger people than I would likely every be.  I wish them the best.

thank you for sharing.

We 'on the right side of humanity' no matter which side of which ocean we are on are probably going to need each other before it's all over with.  Again, best wishes.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
msc_de (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 04:36:57 AM

@yacky_liu  was detained yesterday in guangzhou due to this shirt supporting chinese rights lawyers

---images---

I googled the last person and found little. The first page that seems to apply to that Gao Yue is https://www.amnesty.org/en/press-releases/2015/08/china-list-of-lawyers-and-activists-targeted/ which goes to a "Page does not exist" error.

Yahoo and Google do not seem to favor publicizing the issue.

i only got update and quicker information on twitter, quite a lot in chinese

msc, The person above is https://twitter.com/yacky_liu/status/620462520210362368  ?

Posted on July 10 but only 11 retweets? That is less than a photo of someone's big toe will get if they post by accident.

Can someone translate

Very unusual that this has such low ranking on major search engines.

吓唬老子????

去你妈地!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
msc_de (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 06:03:08 PM

peter0021

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:01:37 PM

has anyone found or been exposed ?
msc_de (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 01:46:57 PM

has anyone found or been exposed ?

more info on twitter
msc_de (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 10:39:09 PM

msc_de (OP)

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 09:03:03 PM

RT ‏@chrlcg  :  Who is coming tomorrow at 1pm? Meet us at Hong Kong Western District Police Station   #freethelawyers

msc_de (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 10:52:40 AM

msc_de (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 10:28:28 PM

Teen Son of Detained Rights Lawyer 'Taken Away' From Myanmar Guesthouse
2015-10-09

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/teen-son-of-detained-rights-lawyer-taken-away-from-myanmar-guesthouse-10092015132215.html

Authorities in Myanmar have detained the teenage son of detained Chinese rights lawyer Wang Yu in a murky cross-border operation after he was denied permission to leave the country legally, a rights website and a Chinese lawyer said on Friday.

Bao Zhuoxuan, also known by his nickname Bao Mengmeng, was taken away from the Huadu Guesthouse in the border town of Mongla by Burmese police on Tuesday, the China Change website reported.

Two adult males, Tang Zhishun and Xing Qingxian were detained at the same time. The trio had crossed the border as tourists during the National Day holidays last week, it said.

It quoted the guesthouse owner as saying that the police had shown Burmese IDs, but local police later denied having detained anyone.

Bao Mengmeng was initially held at an unknown location following the detention of his parents, Bao Longjun and Wang Yu, which kicked off a nationwide police operation that has detained or questioned at least 288 lawyers and their associates since the night of July 9-10.

Bao, who had planned to attend college in Australia, was later told he couldn't leave China because his departure would "harm state security," and police confiscated his passport.

A number of rights lawyers have also been stopped by border guards from leaving China since.

Wang's colleague and supporter Yu Wensheng confirmed the report, but said he was having a hard time confirming exactly what had happened.

"It's likely that [Bao] is already in the hands of the Chinese police," Yu told RFA on Friday.

But he added: "The details of the situation aren't clear at the moment, because I only learned about this today. I am still not sure whether they were detained by Myanmar police or by Chinese police who had crossed the border."

He said Bao's whereabouts are still unknown, however, and that he had heard that the case is being handled by the state security police from China's northern region of Inner Mongolia.

No case file in Mongla

Mongla is in a military zone controlled by former Chinese citizen Lin Xianming and his son Lin Daode of the 815 Army, but China's currency, the yuan, circulates freely there, and there are close economic ties, as well as cross-border postal services.

Local residents are mostly ethnic Han Chinese, and the official language is Mandarin. The region has regular transport links across the border and shares a telephone code with China's Xishuangbanna region, whose police officers have the ability to cross the border easily.

An officer who answered the phone at the Mongla police bureau, however, declined to confirm who had detained Bao.

"Are you absolutely sure it was us who detained him?" the officer said. "If we had, there would be a case file set up here. We wouldn't have been able to detain him without a case file."

"I don't really know what's going on."

Asked if Myanmar police had acted on a request from Chinese police, he said it was unlikely.

"We don't just take orders from the Chinese side ... just like that,"
he said. "I think you should ask our leaders if you want to get answers to this question."

An officer who answered the phone at the Xishuangbanna police bureau in China said its officers have carried out cross-border arrests in the past.

"Sometimes we go [there] if it's necessary," the officer said. But he declined to comment on the detention of Bao.

"How would I know about that? There's no point in talking to me about this stuff," he said.

According to China Change, Bao's friends have reported the three detainees missing with local police, but say the guesthouse owner is refusing to discuss the case following a second visit from local police.

Wang Yu is being held under "residential surveillance" at an unknown location on suspicion of "picking quarrels and stirring up trouble," as well as the more serious "incitement to subvert state power," her lawyers have said.

But repeated requests from Wang's and Bao Longjun's lawyers for a meeting with their clients have been turned down by the authorities.

China’s tightly controlled state media has accused the Fengrui lawyers of “troublemaking” and seeking to incite mass incidents by publicizing cases where they defend some of the most vulnerable groups in society.

Wang is well-known in China's human rights community for representing some of the most vulnerable people in Chinese society.

Her clients have included jailed moderate ethnic Uyghur scholar Ilham Tohti, outspoken rights activist Cao Shunli, who died after being denied medical treatment in detention and members of the banned Falun Gong spiritual group.

She has also represented forced evictees and petitioners, as well as activists seeking to protect the rights of women and children, and the right to freedom of religion, housing and of expression.

Wang Yu has frequently been harassed, threatened, searched, and physically assaulted by police since she began to take on rights abuse cases in 2011.

Hong Kong campaigners on Friday marched to Beijing's representative office in the former British colony to demand the release of all detained Chinese human rights lawyers.

Holding banners and chanting "Release the rights activists! Release the lawyers!" the group held up a list of detainees it wanted released immediately.

Napier Ng of the Progressive Lawyers' Group which helped organize the protest, said many lawyers in Hong Kong, where rule of law has largely persisted since the 1997 handover to China, are worried about the crackdown across the internal border.

"It is quite chilling for people who work in the legal profession in Hong Kong," Ng told RFA on Friday. "Today, mainland China, tomorrow, Hong Kong."

"For every day that goes by [without their release] more and more Hong Kong people will stop believing Beijing's promises regarding the rule of law here," he said.

Pan-democratic lawmaker and rights lawyer Albert Ho, who heads the Chinese Human Rights Lawyers Concern Group, said the situation for China's embattled legal profession is "extremely serious."

"We have never seen such a large operation targeting lawyers before," Ho said. "The [government's] actions are trampling on their stated policy of ruling the country according to law."

Reported by Lo Man-san and Wen Yuqing for RFA's Cantonese Service. Translated and written in English by Luisetta Mudie.
msc_de (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 08:42:16 AM

http://www.smh.com.au/world/bao-zhuoxuan-teenage-son-of-prominent-chinese-human-rights-lawyer-is-missing-20151009-gk5tv8.html?stb=twt

Bao Zhuoxuan, teenage son of prominent Chinese human rights lawyer, is missing
Date: October 10, 2015 - 6:00AM
13 reading nowRead later
 Philip Wen
Philip Wen
China correspondent for Fairfax Media

Beijing: The teenage son of a detained human rights lawyer blocked by Chinese authorities from attending high school in Australia has gone missing in Myanmar while attempting to flee China.

Bao Zhuoxuan, 16, was taken from his hotel on Tuesday by uniformed men in the Burmese town of Mong La, near the Chinese border, according to rights activists helping with his journey.

Mr Bao had been en route to Thailand where he planned to apply for asylum in the United States, having been under constant surveillance and harassment from Chinese authorities since his parents, prominent lawyer Wang Yu and legal activist Bao Longjun, were detained in July amid a sweeping government crackdown on lawyers in China.
Advertisement

"We believed we could find a way for him to travel as a refugee," Zhou Fengshuo, a US-based rights activist who had travelled to Thailand to meet Mr Bao, told Fairfax Media.

"He was under constant surveillance and harassment – he is just 16 years old."

Mr Zhou said the wife of the hotel owner said more than 10 officers produced Myanmar police identification and searched the guest rooms, taking away Mr Bao and the two supporters accompanying him, Tang Zhishun and Xing Qingxian.
None of the three have been heard from since, prompting rights activists to raise the alarm. Attempts by Fairfax Media to contact Mr Bao were also unsuccessful.

The route through Myanmar represented Mr Bao's best chance of fleeing China given his passport had been confiscated by Chinese authorities when he was forcibly stopped from his boarding his flight to Australia in July.

"I started to scream but one of the men put his hand over my mouth," Mr Bao told Fairfax Media in a phone interview in July. The teenager was thrown into a van and detained alone for two nights, before being released to family in Tianjin and then Inner Mongolia.
Other relatives of Chinese dissidents have fled through Myanmar, including the wife and two children of Gao Zhisheng, a prominent rights lawyer who has been held in lengthy spells of secret confinement.

Mr Bao's parents are among at least 288 rights lawyers, activists and law firm staff that have been detained or questioned by Chinese authorities since July, according to records kept by the Hong Kong-based China Human Rights Lawyers Concern Group.
It comes amid a broader suppression of civil society under President Xi Jinping, which has targeted intellectuals, activists, artists, lawyers, journalists and non-governmental organisations.
apollofire

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 11:18:54 AM

Human rights violations are very common in emerging economies like China and India. Govt is punishing them too hide their own blunders

I am still Selling.

Email: thecableguy.livetv@gmail.com
msc_de (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 06:30:16 PM

Human rights violations are very common in emerging economies like China and India. Govt is punishing them too hide their own blunders

india is quite different from china
msc_de (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 09:51:28 PM

Teen Son of Rights Lawyers 'Under House Arrest' as Families Flee China
2015-10-12 

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/son-10122015130738.html

Chinese authorities in the northern region of Inner Mongolia are holding the 16-year-old son of two detained rights lawyers under house arrest, as police target fellow lawyers who tried to help him escape via Myanmar.

Bao Zhuoxuan, also known as Bao Mengmeng, was detained on Oct. 6 in Myanmar after trying to escape to the United States amid a nationwide police operation targeting human rights lawyers, during which his passport was confiscated.

He is now under 24-hour police surveillance at his grandparents' house in Inner Mongolia and is not allowed contact with the outside world, Liang Bo, a San Francisco-based family friend, told the Associated Press.

Bao, who is the son of detained Chinese rights lawyers Wang Yu and Bao Longjun, was detained in Mongla, northern Myanmar, in a murky cross-border operation after he was denied permission to leave the country legally.

Wang's colleague and supporter Yu Wensheng said he is "very worried" about Bao.

"We are extremely worried about him, now and when he was detained, because he is basically just a kid, and both his parents have been detained," Yu told RFA on Monday.

"We are calling on the international community to bring his case up with the Chinese authorities," said Yu, who issued a statement which had gained some 200 signatures by Monday evening local time.

"We think this is terrible and wrong, because Bao Mengmeng is a child, who should be afforded some protection," the mother of activist Yeung Hung, who recently gained political asylum in Canada, told RFA after signing the statement.

"Everyone has human rights, whether they are an adult or a child," she said. "The lawyers who have been detained haven't been allowed lawyers to represent them. That's why I'm calling on the international community."

Liang told AP that Bao has already been beaten by police when under house arrest previously, in the northern port city of Tianjin.

Two activists

Meanwhile, police have searched the homes of rights activists Tang Zhishun, 40, and Xing Qingxian, 49, who had crossed the border with Bao during the National Day holidays last week and who were detained at the same time as him.

The whereabouts of the two men is currently unknown, while their families have fled the country, according to U.S.-based veteran dissident Zhou Fengsuo, who helped to arrange Bao's escape.

Tang's wife and young daughter and Xing's wife all recently arrived in the U.S. after fleeing China amid an ongoing crackdown on rights lawyers, their families and associates, he said on Monday.

"Tang Zhishun's wife and daughter are both in San Francisco," Zhou told RFA. "She was very worried by the situation and called home, where her parents said they couldn't talk right now [implying that police were present] and that the two of them were better off overseas."

Zhou said Xing Qingxian's wife He Juan also arrived at San Francisco airport on Monday, after an equally precipitate departure.

"He Juan made the decision to leave very suddenly, as soon as she found out that the authorities were searching her home," he said.

"She left China via Yunnan."

Zhou said the Chinese government has yet to comment on the detention operation in Myanmar.

"The Chinese government hasn't openly admitted or detailed how it came to detain people in Myanmar," Zhou said.

He Juan said she had initially planned to visit the U.S. as a tourist, but had decided to come early.

"Some people said my husband had run into trouble, or had been detained, so I thought that I couldn't stay behind in China, and that I'd better leave very fast," she said shortly after her arrival.

"I went to Thailand via Laos; that's how I got out," she said.

Refused exit

Prominent rights lawyer Ge Wenxiu said he was recently denied permission to board the Guangzhou-Kowloon express train heading across the internal border with the former British colony of Hong Kong.

"They said they had received a notification from the Beijing police department not to let me leave the country," Ge told RFA.

"The didn't give any details, but it was basically to do with my advocacy work for detained rights lawyer Liu Sixin," he said.

Liu was among a number of lawyers and other employees of Beijing's Fengrui law firm in July, who have since been accused by China's official media of deliberately fomenting social unrest.

Chinese police have detained or questioned at least 288 lawyers and their associates since the night of July 9-10 when Bao's parents were detained, according to the Hong Kong-based Chinese Human Rights Lawyers' Concern group.

More than 20 people remain in detention, 16 of them at undisclosed locations, while many more have been placed under surveillance, police warning or house arrest.

A number of rights lawyers have also been stopped by border guards from leaving China since.

Bao, who had planned to attend college in Australia, was later told he couldn't leave China because his departure would "harm state security," and police confiscated his passport.

Article 12 of China’s Exit and Entry Administration Law provides for a Chinese citizen to be prohibited from exiting China "because the national security or interest may be compromised," but the criteria for such a decision are not defined.

Reported by Qiao Long for RFA's Mandarin Service, and by Wen Yuqing for the Cantonese Service. Translated and written in English by Luisetta Mudie.
msc_de (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 10:30:31 PM

Bao Zhuoxuan, Son of Rights Lawyer Held in China, Is Said to Be Under House Arrest

By MICHAEL FORSYTHE

OCT. 12, 2015

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/13/world/asia/china-bao-zhuoxuan-son-wang-yu-rights-lawyer-house-arrest.html?_r=0

HONG KONG — The 16-year-old son of a detained Chinese human rights lawyer is now living under house arrest in northern China after being snatched at a Myanmar border town last week as he was trying to escape to the United States, a family friend said.

Bao Zhuoxuan, the son of the prominent human rights lawyer Wang Yu, is at his grandparents’ home in the Inner Mongolia region, said the friend, Liang Bo, who was planning to host Mr. Bao in the San Francisco area. Ms. Wang was detained in July during a nationwide crackdown in which more than 220 people were summoned for questioning. She remains in custody. Chinese officials have accused Ms. Wang of “inciting subversion of state power.”

Mr. Bao was taken by uniformed men this month from a guesthouse in Mong La, a town in Myanmar near the Chinese border, said Fengsuo Zhou, a United States citizen and human rights activist. Mr. Zhou had traveled to Bangkok to meet Mr. Bao and help arrange his travel papers to America.

Mr. Bao is now in Ulanhot, a city in Inner Mongolia, where he is under surveillance by the police and his movements are restricted, Ms. Liang said in a telephone interview. Mr. Bao’s grandparents could not be reached at two mobile phone numbers belonging to them. A woman at the office of politics of the Ulanhot Police Bureau said the bureau had no such case involving a 16-year-old boy named Bao Zhuoxuan.

Mr. Bao’s mother, Ms. Wang, is one of the most prominent human rights lawyers in China. She defended Ilham Tohti, an economics professor whom the Chinese government had accused of inciting separatism in his native Xinjiang and sentenced last year to life in prison. Her detention is part of a widespread crackdown under President Xi Jinping of human rights activists and the lawyers who represent them. In many cases, as with Mr. Bao, their families become pawns as the police try to pressure the detainees, Mr. Zhou said.

“That is the signature of Xi’s recent crackdown on human rights activists,” Mr. Zhou said in a telephone interview. “They want to crack open their defense basically, and they want to crush their will.”

Mr. Bao’s case has received international attention, and last week, a report by the United States Congressional-Executive Commission on China recommended that lawmakers and administration officials bring it up with the Chinese government.

Mr. Bao was detained at Beijing’s international airport in July when he and his father were trying to leave the country for Australia, where he had been accepted into a school. His passport was revoked, and he was sent to live with his grandparents, according to the commission’s report. His father was taken into custody.

Mr. Zhou as well as other activists and family friends decided that it was worth the risk for Mr. Bao to try to cross the border into Myanmar in an area where passports were not required and to make his way to Bangkok, the Thai capital. There, Mr. Zhou would walk Mr. Bao through the steps required to gain legal entry into the United States.

“We knew it was such a risky move. We tried our best to help him. We tried to help Zhuoxuan to get freedom,” Mr. Zhou said. “It’s a battleground.”

Mia Li contributed research from Beijing.
msc_de (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 08:05:46 PM

RT  ‏@rosetangy :  Australian reporter Philip Wen @PhilipWen11 taken away by Chinese cops in Ulanhot as he tried to intv #BaoZhuoxuan 
msc_de (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 12:24:02 AM

free BaoZhuoxuan  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
msc_de (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 05:06:48 PM

Taken Question: Comment on Bao Zhuoxuan

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2015/10/248214.htm

Taken Question
Office of the Spokesperson
Washington, DC

Question Taken at the October 14, 2015 Daily Press Briefing
October 14, 2015
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare
Attribution is on-the-record from Spokesperson John Kirby.

Question: Does the State Department have comment on the reports of Bao Zhuoxuan’s house arrest?

Answer: The United States is concerned about media reports that Bao Zhuoxuan, the son of detained rights lawyer Wang Yu and her detained husband Bao Longjun, is being held under house arrest in Inner Mongolia, China. We urge China to uphold its international human rights commitments and protect the health and safety of this minor child.

We are also disturbed by a seemingly systematic campaign by China to target family members of Chinese citizens who peacefully challenge official policy and work to protect the rights of others. If Bao Zhuoxuan’s family wishes him to study abroad like hundreds of thousands of other Chinese students, China should permit him to leave the country.

We call on China to remove restrictions on Bao Zhuoxuan’s freedom of movement, and again urge China to release Wang Yu and Bao Longjun without condition.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: