Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 06:20:15 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2015, 02:06:21 PM by turtlehurricane

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CohibAA

Activity: 223
Merit: 131

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2015, 06:24:44 PM

My bitcoin core node has never crashed, sorry you're having trouble.

50cent_rapper
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 06:27:36 PM

Damn, where is Satoshi ?  Angry
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 06:41:26 PM

My core has been better since 0.10 actually, but still, it's way too heavy on the ram, it's to slow, it's a pain in the ass unless you have an SSD big enough to hold the entire blockchain and enough ram and fast CPU to not fall asleep while new blocks get verified. This limits a lot of people that would like to run a node but can't be bothered with it because of that.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 06:52:30 PM

I have never had such experience, it's stable as hell, and I usually install the testing versions, before stable comes out, you are probably using a piece of shit operating system called Windows, try using a manly OS, like a Linux distribution.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 06:54:48 PM

Have you tested your hardware?

I run the latest version on multiple, varying age computers (with a few different OSes) non-stop for weeks at a time. I haven't had a single crash or instability issue what-so-ever.

Any problems I've had with Bitcoin-Qt or Core in the past has usually been due to failing hardware. It's quite good at finding a weak spot in your system.
I've tested it with the memtest, and every other program works fine. I wouldn't be shocked if it's due to an interaction with Windows, since Windows is an even bigger flaming piece of crap. I really miss when Bitcoin Core would never crash  Cry

it has to do with your so , maybe some unwanted upgrade, i'm running it fine on windows 7 64 bit, the only problem that i'm encountering is a random delay on syncing, it hangs there and it does nothing, then proceed to sync as if it had been launched a second ago
tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 07:40:43 PM

The developers have taken a program that was stable and turned it into a very unstable program that crashes all the time.

Bitcoin Core NEVER crashed on me until I installed 0.10.+, now I've had dozens of crashes. Once again it's crashed so hard I probably have to rebuild the blockchain... which is a waste of time since it will crash again.

Time for new developers, whoever was involved in making this is hurting the community.

You need to get a new computer.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2015, 07:44:31 PM

The developers have taken a program that was stable and turned it into a very unstable program that crashes all the time.

Bitcoin Core NEVER crashed on me until I installed 0.10.+, now I've had dozens of crashes. Once again it's crashed so hard I probably have to rebuild the blockchain... which is a waste of time since it will crash again.

Time for new developers, whoever was involved in making this is hurting the community.

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 07:45:13 PM

Everything fine here. Have you rechecked/rebuilt your install?
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8412

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2015, 08:21:22 PM

Description of specifics events around the crash-- crash message, possible triggers, etc.?  Nope.

Description of final events in the debug log at the time of the crash? Nope.

Specific Bitcoin Core version and origin of binaries? Nope.

Operating system and version, or if it's 32/64 bit? Nope.

Information about the hardware its running on (memory amount, type of storage) ? Nope.

Presence of possibly conflicting software such as anti-virus? Nope.

Decscription of steps taken so far to resolve the problem? Nope.

Post to an apropriate subforum (e.g. technical support) or issue tracker for getting aid with problems?  Nope.

Gratitious insults?  Yep.

Sorry-- the expirence reflected here doesn't reflect the case for most others. While no one can forbid you from being frustrated, your approach is unlikely to result in the resolution of your issues.  I suggest you take a breath, and head over to the techsupport subforum and try seeking some help and provide the above information without the insults.

tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 10:25:58 PM

Description of specifics events around the crash-- crash message, possible triggers, etc.?  Nope.

Information about the hardware its running on (memory amount, type of storage) ? Nope.

Post to an apropriate subforum (e.g. technical support) or issue tracker for getting aid with problems?  Nope.

Sorry-- the expirence reflected here doesn't reflect the case for most others. While no one can forbid you from being frustrated, your approach is unlikely to result in the resolution of your issues.  I suggest you take a breath, and head over to the techsupport subforum and try seeking some help and provide the above information without the insults.

It seems the OP might read: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html   

hund

Activity: 130
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 10:28:05 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2015, 10:47:56 PM by hund

+1
I thought about downgrading too. V0.1 is a piece of shit. Starting up the wallet takes about 8 to 20 times as much time as the old version.
Also crashes on me when i close it. Block indexing makes troubles. Think in some setups it could be even worse.

Turned into a shitcoin-wallet.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 11:18:15 PM
Last edit: July 12, 2015, 01:13:32 AM by Quickseller

The root cause may not be the software itself, but could be the fact that you started using 0.1 around the time the network was subject to significant additional load via the stress test. I suspect that you would have encountered similar results had you used older versions of Bitcoin Core.

A couple of points:

If you are calling what you are using "Bitcoin Core" then I believe you to be using the GUI interface version of Bitcoin, which I have been told is a lot more resource intensive then the command line version of Bitcoin, which is called "bitcoind", if my assumption that you are using the GUI then I would recommend to stop doing this and switch to bitcoind. You will have difficulty signing and verifying some bitcoin signed messages with bitcoind because it will be difficult to get formatting included in the command line, however there are dozens of alternatives you can use to verify a bitcoin signed message and I would not recommend using Bitcoin core as a wallet due to the fact that it does not deterministically generate your private keys, and only pre-generates a limited number of private keys, so if you use too many addresses after your last backup, then you would potentially lose access to your funds if something were to happen to your wallet file. There are also plenty of wallet alternatives that you can use in order to avoid encountering this issue, some of which will rely on your local instance of Bitcoin for transaction information so your able to rely on Bitcoin to validate transactions received would remain consistent.

If you are using Windows then I think it is probably safe to assume that you are running it in a local computer at your home or office. I would not recommend doing that. The demands of running a full node are great enough so that it really needs to be run on a server and/or a VPS. Renting a VPS that is strong enough to handle running Bitcoin is generally going to cost you less then the cost of your internet connection and you would still be able to rely on it in similar ways as if it was running locally.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2015, 11:20:35 PM

Bitcoin is open source. Since you're such an expert, why don't you contribute some code yourself?

Or you could just stop being a whiny ingrate, and show a modicum of respect to the hard-working computer scientists currently adding tremendous value to your bitcoin savings while asking nothing of you in return.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 11:56:43 PM

It's usually the hardware in situations like these. I think your HDD has bad sectors/blocks. You should do a deep scan of it.
Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 12:04:16 AM

I don't know, but I have over a dozen instances running on various servers across the world, and we've never experienced a problem.

I guess I should note, all servers are CentOS.

CohibAA

Activity: 223
Merit: 131

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2015, 12:16:31 AM

Indeed.  I was surprised to see you wasting time to reply in here, damned click-bait title.

This thread is a broken piece of shit.

Bitcoin core is fine.

Cool

crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 12:21:05 AM

I feel your pain OP. I had problems since the 0.9 version after this things seem to clutter up slow down to point of no response. I ended up removing old blockchain and downloaded off torrent and imported and this did resolve some of the crashes. After a week or so of not using and updating seems it uses massive amounts of resources ram and cpu power and this I hate and tried everything. SSD seems it was the cause to the problem for me and ended up moving it over to a normal HDD and fixed the problem. But after a month of messing around and still being slow and taking up much room decided on moving to Bither, since then I have not used Bitcoin qt unless really needed to. Only time used was to grab all private keys and import them into Bither. Since using Bither its been smooth and flawless. I know might be promoting Bither but in all honesty it is worth it in so many ways.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 12:59:23 AM

... I would not recommend using Bitcoin core as a wallet due to the fact that it will delete your private keys after a certain number of transactions (it will delete the oldest key once the key pool is used up and replace it with a newly generated key to maintain a consistent number of private keys in it's wallet...

Wait... Whaaaat?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 01:18:26 AM

... I would not recommend using Bitcoin core as a wallet due to the fact that it will delete your private keys after a certain number of transactions (it will delete the oldest key once the key pool is used up and replace it with a newly generated key to maintain a consistent number of private keys in it's wallet...

Wait... Whaaaat?
It seems I was mistaken about this, as a little bit of research regarding the key pool has proved this statement to be incorrect. I have revised my post to reflect that you are at risk of loosing access to your funds if you use too many addresses after your most recent backup and something happens to your wallet file.
refrence1
-snip-
So if you create a backup, and then do more than 100 things that cause a new key to be used, and then restore from the backup, some Bitcoins will be lost. Bitcoin has not deleted any keys (keys are never deleted) – it has created a new key that is not in your old backup and then sent Bitcoins to it. A backup is therefore recommended roughly every 50 transactions (or address creations) just to be safe.
refrence2

FTR, I still am not a fan of using Bitcoin as a wallet program because it does not deterministically generate your private keys.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: